My First Jaunt Into Long Range Plinking!

Hi Mark,

I bought it a couple of weeks ago from a guy called Richard (Private sale) in Derbyshire.

Derbyshire my neck of the woods, where you at mate far away ?

Gaz

How do you know he doesn't have sentries out, may want to PM him next time on that matter! I'm not trying to be clever either. ;)

Hi if you are new to long range shooting ,the first thing i will say is this is not a safe backstop and the sad thing is only a few picked up on it ,all credit to the ones that did

More than the people you see Shuggie have the same opinion... I have been messeged about this more than once! At least theirs was an opinion and haven't stated as you have that it's not a safe back stop!

You may think it's not a safe back stop, but have you walked the ground? Were you there with my spotters when the shot was taken? You can not fully appreciate the ground from a photo.... Especially a photo at 500, 691 & 730 yards!

Kind regards. Jay

More than the people you see Shuggie have the same opinion... I have been messeged about this more than once! At least theirs was an opinion and haven't stated as you have that it's not a safe back stop!

You may think it's not a safe back stop, but have you walked the ground? Were you there with my spotters when the shot was taken? You can not fully appreciate the ground from a photo.... Especially a photo at 500, 691 & 730 yards!

Kind regards. Jay

Some expert back stoppers on this site, like you said they don't even no the ground

How do you no what he has set up spotters, signs, warning flags ect ect

By the sound of things he knows what's safe and what isn't , so let him enjoy his shooting and enjoy sharing it with others.

Gaz

Gaz, I do appreciate that we all cannot agree on certain shooting matters, but saying that, the backstop did not LOOK safe from the photo and comments were made with the best intentions I am sure of that.

I think that the topic should be closed and let the guy enjoy his shooting at that site. He is responsible for safety and no one else. If he is satisfied then so be it.

Maybe a PM would have been the best approach, but this is an open forum and from past experience and observation, someone who posts things must expect to get 'incoming' from time to time. So let's keep our teddybears in our prams and move on.

Good shooting to all.

sorry but don't see why his thread should be closed.he has said range was safe sp he's done nothing wrong to lose his thead

Plus1 I've a 1in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel which wouldn't stabilize the 75grain amax. A really good alternative is the hornady 75 grain bthp. These should stabilize no problem in a 1in9. Plus you are not losing out that much on the bc front. 0.435 for the amax and 0.395 for the bthp. Enjoy your permission, looks like a nice place to shoot.

to be fair to tbhg i miss understood his meaning which he explained in a pm and for which i apologised

Plus1 I've a 1in 9 twist with a 24 inch barrel which wouldn't stabilize the 75grain amax. A really good alternative is the hornady 75 grain bthp. These should stabilize no problem in a 1in9. Plus you are not losing out that much on the bc front. 0.435 for the amax and 0.395 for the bthp. Enjoy your permission, looks like a nice place to shoot.

It's very easy to miss understand people over the typed word! Glad we're all getting along though! :-)

I was on the look out for some 75gr... Haven't got any yet, but I have managed to get some Barnaul 62gr FMJ's. I'll see how they go, it's a BC of .650, but they were only £32 for 100!

It's very easy to miss understand people over the typed word! Glad we're all getting along though! :-)

I was on the look out for some 75gr... Haven't got any yet, but I have managed to get some Barnaul 62gr FMJ's. I'll see how they go, it's a BC of .650, but they were only £32 for 100!

It's late and I'm probably missing an 'in joke' here, but just in case I'm not....The g1 (?) B.C. of 0.650 sounds just a tad high - 0.3 or so would be more like it.

Also, I'd always advise to be a bit careful using FMJ bullets away from a range, since they have a nasty habit of bouncing all over the place unless the backstop is a steep bank of perfectly soft soil, sand or similar....

I thought it sounded high too... I got the info from the Barnaul website!

It is high, the M855 and Speer 62gr FMJ BT G1 are around 0.3. I also echo Tiff's comment on FMJ's. If you want to see proof, get hold of some tracer, I've seen the stuff bounce out of a sandbox....

I thought it sounded high too... I got the info from the Barnaul website!

As others note ,BC will be in the low .3s(even the very good 75/77g 223s are just short of BC.4)

Don't expect too much from Barnaul-or Wolf-even the latter's 62 match HP,or either in 55FMJ,- they are essentially plinking rounds,for non sentient targets,and you tend to get what you pay for,though they may be acceptable in particular rifles.Barnaul is usually laquered too,not a problem in a bolt action,but keep the chamber cleaned.And FMJs can be prone to ricochet-definitely ones for the hillside! I reckon that very good component reloads come in about £35/100 (plus brass initially,but B/W isn't reloadable,being steel case ,so it's for the bin).

Gbal

I wasn't Too keen on getting the steel cases, but I guess it won't hurt trying! I knew I wouldn't be able to re-load them! I do want to get into re-loading, but that'll be a post for another time! :-)

Agreed on the hill side for all that have mentioned it.... For the next trip up there, the backstop will be a huge hill! :-)

Can I get tracer?

Agreed on the hill side for all that have mentioned it.... For the next trip up there, the backstop will be a huge hill! :-)

Can I get tracer?

Yes you can buy tracer, but apart from on live fire tactical training areas (formerly field firing ranges) like Sennybridge, Lydd, Warcop etc., they have virtually no practical apllication. Tracers are however very good at demonstrating how badly fmj rounds can ricochet and can start ground / peat fires with an uncanny ability. I've found far too many whole tracer bullets all over Willsworthy /Okehampton ranges, to believe in the idea the visible ricochet its just the lighter burning 'tail' that has broken off after impact.

Archived