Magnetospeed V2 vs Chrony F1, compared.

A couple of days ago I ordered a Magnetospeed V2 chronograph from Brian Fox whch arrived this morning. I paid a very reasonable £299 delivered, it was sent by 24 courier but few things make it up here in 24hours!

Anyway I've been using the same Chrony F1 for the past 10 years or so and I was always reasonably happy with the data it gave me, verified fairly well by bullet drops at long distance. The reason I bought the Magnetospeed was its reputed to be thoroughly accurate, is totally unaffected by light conditions, gives true muzzle velocity instead of 10-15feet away and is quicker/easier to set up and Chrony F1's often are perceived to be are crap and tell lots of lies!!!

This afternoon I grabbed the .223 and ten rounds of ammo anxious to put a few shots over it and the F1 simultaneously to prove to myself the F1 is an out and out liar!

Shots 1 -10:

---V2-----F1---

1. 2739 2738

2. 2733 2734

3. 2735 2738

4. 2739 2741

5. 2736 2738

6. 2712 2710

7. 2715 2715

8. 2748 2748

9. 2753 2753

10. 2724 2723

--------------------

Av.2733 Av. 2733

Sd. 13 Sd. 13

Es. 41 Es. 43

I was amazed with the above result! I didn't expect for a minute to have readings so close and often the same. Granted there would be maybe a few fps in it as the F1 was at 10 feet and the Magnetospeed at the muzzle.

I just thought it was interesting as people often say cheap chronographs aren't worth it and are often nowhere near the truth, at least my F1 in these light conditions on this day seemed pretty good!

Anyway I'm delighted with the Magnetospeed and wont be getting any more error messages with bright sun, misalignment issues and can even go and fire a few shots into my garden at night after a reloading session with the V2 fitted and get good info even in the dark! I had quite a few dull afternoons this winter trying to get chrono speeds with the F1 and got mostly error messages or ridiculously low or high speeds because of daylight.

P.S. I'm putting my ridiculous ES down to unnannealed brass and charges weighed on the Chargemaster instead of scales and I'm sticking to it! :D

I've got to say I'm surprised at their closeness. However, you might well rerun the test in a few days' or months' time and while I'd expect the MagnetoSpeed results to barely change and that due to different ambient temperatures marginally affecting MVs, you could (I won't say 'will') get rather different results from the Chrony.

All cheaper optical chronographs' results vary according to ambient light levels to some extent - I've regularly watched chronograph outputs change while testing at Diggle as its situation in a deep valley means the actual light level on the range can change drastically as clouds move across the sky - not that thick dark clouds ever grace the skies above Diggle!

The other factor is the chronograph optical sensor assembly's set-up and how closely it matches bullet track. The CED Milennium and similar use a 24-inch sensor spacing, the Chrony's is noticeably shorter. So any mismatch of angle / trajectory will have the same effect as measuring the bullet's passage time over a shorter or longer distance while the electronics work on the sensor separation come what may. With such a short 'wheelbase' and the tiny milisecond-level travel times involved, any minor alignment error is much magnified in the results. That can apply to the Magnetospeed too and it's important to mount the bayo so its top surface lies parallel to the bore alignment, but I'd say the opportunities for significant error are much reduced.

I've got to say I'm surprised at their closeness. However, you might well rerun the test in a few days' or months' time and while I'd expect the MagnetoSpeed results to barely change and that due to different ambient temperatures marginally affecting MVs, you could (I won't say 'will') get rather different results from the Chrony.

All cheaper optical chronographs' results vary according to ambient light levels to some extent - I've regularly watched chronograph outputs change while testing at Diggle as its situation in a deep valley means the actual light level on the range can change drastically as clouds move across the sky - not that thick dark clouds ever grace the skies above Diggle!

The other factor is the chronograph optical sensor assembly's set-up and how closely it matches bullet track. The CED Milennium and similar use a 24-inch sensor spacing, the Chrony's is noticeably shorter. So any mismatch of angle / trajectory will have the same effect as measuring the bullet's passage time over a shorter or longer distance while the electronics work on the sensor separation come what may. With such a short 'wheelbase' and the tiny milisecond-level travel times involved, any minor alignment error is much magnified in the results. That can apply to the Magnetospeed too and it's important to mount the bayo so its top surface lies parallel to the bore alignment, but I'd say the opportunities for significant error are much reduced.

I dont blame you Laurie, I was amazed! After the first few shots I was waiting for a shot or two with a wild variation, like 20-30fps but it just didn't happen. But as you say that was one test on a particular day and doing the same tomorrow may well yield different results. I do know that the Magnetospeed will read regardless of lighting though. And its got a proven track record.

The SDs you have are not to bad for a .223 either, Litz reckons anything 10 or less is good. With a .223 and an almost full case getting less than a 10 SD is a challenge.

Thats reassuring to know John, I thought best to have an excuse ready in advance! They were Lapua on third firing. I've just annealed another 100 Lapua cases so will be interesting to see if the SD will come down a bit with them and by hand weighing the charges.

• 3 weeks later...

it'd be good if you could compare the v2 to an oehler with 4ft or more space between screens? i'm interested in buying one i'd like to see it tested against the real deal. no offence to chrony owners intended....

happy shooting

d

Here you go, bear in mind the Magnetospeed is on the muzzle not 16 feet downrange! :

http://www.longrangeonly.com/showthread.php?144-Review-Comparison-Oehler-35-Magneto-Speed-and-Super-Chrono

I do know someone with an Oehler so in time I'll compare them myself.

I'm very happy with the Magnetospeed since I got it, hasn't missed a single shot yet and fast and easy to set up.

ETA : I see you live nearby nowler feel free to come and try it if you like.

Another new chrono with an entirely different measurement mode is the Steinert Superchrono. This uses an acoustic measurement system which is immune to light issues which many of us will be all too familiar with..

The Steinert is reviewed in the very latest edition of NZ Hunter. Greg placed it right in front of the Oehler 43 Lab screens and it gave amazingly accurate average velocities. It is --critical-- the unit is aligned perfectly with the bore axis to give accurate readings. The second issue is that the short microphone spacing makes ES/SD values suspect but this probably isn't a huge issue for most users

I have just or in process of buying a magneto V2 from Brian..i also have the Oehler 35 but think i will find the V2 a lot more user friendly to use. also have the super chrono but for some unknown reason started giving bad results even though set up correctly will have try it again when i get time..even have the CED chrono and x2 Chronos folding types..think i may have sell a few.

Archived