Muzzle mounted suppressor options

I am thinking of getting a muzzle mounted suppressor for my 0.308 rifle (a lightly customised Remington 700 VS in an AICS stock). I'm looking for excellent sound reduction and robustness. The rifle is only used as a 'range queen' and for informal club competitions, so length and weight are not particularly important.

On my short list so far are the Ase Utra SL-7 (possibly the BoreLock version), the MAE (PES) Large Muzzle Can, the Brugger & Thomet AI suppressor (with AI brake) and the OneLessCharlie S Series in stainless.

All of these look like they would be excellent choices. I would be grateful for any opinions on the pros and cons of each. Are there any other options that I should be considering?

Why am I not considering a Reflex-style design? I'm sure that I have read somewhere that the reflex types can cause a POI shift when they get very hot. This is apparently due to different expansion rates between the suppressor and the barrel. This is probably why all military suppressors that I can think of are muzzle mounted designs. Likely this effect would not be important for most civilian use. However having burnt through a couple of packs of MEN 7.62mm ball at the WMS Steel Challenge, I would like the suppressor to be able to cope with extended firing strings.

ASE Utra Jet-z compact for me. Built very well and excellent sound and recoil reduction. I use my .30 cal one for .308 blatting mil-surp and tracer as well as for my 300WM. No experience with the others (apart from the Utra SL7 which is also good) so can't offer a comparison but I just think the Jet-z is the complete package for my purpose.

I use a onelesscharliie one on my AI and at the range several people shooting at the side of me have asked what make is it and commented on how quite it is he made me a strippable one because at one stage I was going to put a .260 barrel on it and would only need to change the baffles but the 308 is very accurate and keeps me in FTR class which is ok for me very well made s/steel not light but that is not a issue at the range.

All of mine are the JetZ and I am very happy with them BUT......you will very likely get a POI change as with any Mod.

I use a onelesscharliie one on my AI and at the range several people shooting at the side of me have asked what make is it and commented on how quite it is he made me a strippable one because at one stage I was going to put a .260 barrel on it and would only need to change the baffles but the 308 is very accurate and keeps me in FTR class which is ok for me very well made s/steel not light but that is not a issue at the range.

I thought suppressors were not allowed in F/TR?

I previously had a jet z compact on my old .308 and only complaint is that the baffles rusted in it. Now have a new SL7 on my latest .308 and performance wise it is as good as the compact but being stainless I shouldn't have the rusting problem this time round. I also have a muzzle mounted can from OHC on my 20tac which is stainless and excellent and a good bit cheaper than an SL7.

Mike

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys. All stainless certainly seems the way to go for my requirement.

At the moment I'm inclining towards the SL-7 BoreLock. I like the idea of the positive attachment, in-built muzzle brake, all-stainless construction and good sound reduction. If I find the price too unpalatable, I think that the OLC S series will be the way to go. They certainly seem to have got very positive reviews on here.

I thought suppressors were not allowed in F/TR?

Hi all i shot the imperial at bisley many years ago,i think i was one of the very first to shoot in competition F class with a sound mod finish 2nd with a T8 6.5+55 improved ,i now have a ase Sl7 on a 30cal never looked back great bit of kit

I have a OLC s on my 223 with 5/8 18unf on my 243 as well so the same mod will do both guns I could not say enough good about the OLC s mod. Both rifles are more like 22lr's with a thump. If you speak with Colin from OLC he can customize a mod for you with emphasizes on sound or weight which ever you prefer.

Get the AU borelock with SL-7 can , I have the borelock SL-7 & BT can and a similar MAE can , and to me the best is the borelock , 2 reasons , 1 ) SS suppressor part , and 2 ) the locking mech .

So you will need a 18x1 , 18x1.5 or 5/8 thread borelock brake fitting .

The BT can is very good in suppression , BUT has No lockng mech , and some parts of the can are not SS .

The locking mech is very nice , I have one also on a AR15 , using the Jet Z borelock version .

cheers Chris

You are right as to the brake , BUT then so is the AI one , and SO what , really , you are NOT going to shoot it un-suppressed , NOT when you have access to a suppressor , look at it as just a means of attaching the can and having it lock in place , and nothing more , in short , get over it .

Its really only a concern , IF you are not allowed the can , or its restricted , or you have no intention of using a can , BUT then why would you use a brake that 1 ) is not calibre spec & 2 ) has ratchet teeth for the borelock mech , that you will not use .

The unit I have on my AR15 , has no brake , or flashhider or compensator , only the thread & ratchet part .

Yours Chris

P.S. , If you wanted too , you could have a different brake insert made up , I think its a bit funny , just like AI , they make a 338 cal , brake for both 30 & 338 cal , probably so if you moun the wrong one you donot stuff the rifle , BUT they do make cal specific suppressor s , Opps .

The cans are bored to different cals , 30 & 338 , as I have both , and can see the difference with naked eye .

Archived