Rebarreling .220 Swift

Hi All

I have the chance to buy a remmy .220 swift VSSF for decent money but am more interested in just harvesting it for the action. I would want to rebarrel it into a 22-243 but am wondering how much work is involved. It is just a case of a new barrel as its the short action or does it require work to the bolt face etc?

Thanks

You sure its a short action?

The swifts I've done have been long..

Bolt face is or should be .473" (same as 243)

+1 on Ronin's point.....long action?

Swift case is 2.205" ; 243w is 2.045" and 'SA'; and 6mmRem is 2.233,and 'LA'. The 6mmRem has been wildcatted of course,eg into the 224 Texas Trophy Hunter,though near optimum esp for 70/80 g bullets,there may be a reamer issue in UK..even Texas!

The Middlestead 22/243 is a fine varminter,I lusted after one for decades,but I now doubt that it has any real advantages-and all the disadvantages of a hot wildcat-over the standard 243w,using 55 and 58 g bullets. which has to be as hassle free as it gets for 4000+ fps,unless you must have 22 calbre...but of course,243 is SA...

Good news is something will do what you want....SA or LA...

Gbal

Thanks gBal I've been having that debate with myself whether it would be any great advantage over the .243 I run at the minute on 70 grain Sierra blitzkings loaded with Varget I just fancied a new toy! I also have a 6.5x47 Lapua so has anyone got any other suggestions on calibres I could turn the swift into without being too similar to the 2 I have already!?

Thanks gBal I've been having that debate with myself whether it would be any great advantage over the .243 I run at the minute on 70 grain Sierra blitzkings loaded with Varget I just fancied a new toy! I also have a 6.5x47 Lapua so has anyone got any other suggestions on calibres I could turn the swift into without being too similar to the 2 I have already!?

I started my 243's new lease of life with 68 Bench rest bullets,but the 58g will give quite a bit more velocity-like hundreds-so might be worth trying a box.(sell them to me if they don't work!)..

The 22CHeetah won't knock big spots of the Swift/Middlestead/243 etc ,but is faster and different-blown out Rem308BR case,small primer,etc...probably more challenge than reward!

Then you are into Banshee territory...6.5X68 RWS necked to .25,and possible therapy....:-)

(I'd still check with Remington/your smith about action length-Swift looks a fair bit longer than 22/250/243 SAs).

Gbal

The remington 220 swift rifles are short action so its just a rebarrel that you will need

+1 my Remington 220 AI is a short action, which started life as a 220 Swift VSSF. I originally thought the same and mistakenly bought a H&S long action bottom metal only to have to buy the short action option......Oops.

Another consideration to rival the 22/243 would be the 22/284.

Why not just rebarrel to Swift? It is a cracking round, Case stretch is a bit of pain, But as i said it is a superb calibre. Steve how do you find the AI version of the swift? Is it worth the hassle of fire forming cases?

Cheers Sean

Why not just rebarrel to Swift? It is a cracking round, Case stretch is a bit of pain, But as i said it is a superb calibre. Steve how do you find the AI version of the swift? Is it worth the hassle of fire forming cases?

Cheers Sean

i would go swift as the guy above said. but what about fast twist instead

You need to get your 47 running first before you start another rifle project surely? Lol

Cheers Sean

Great to have something a little different. The fireforming is not really an issue, you can still use the time to work out which powders it prefers, and with virtually no case stretch. But not massive gains over the standard swift and I know some people who run their 22-250 AI's faster.

22.243 wont give you much benefit over 243. Can be driven faster, so will shoot a bit flatter but unless you are target shooting with it at 300 yards plus then there is no worthwhile advantage but I know only to well the desire to have something a bit different.

If you are not looking to run it to hot or to fast how about doing a 22BR instead, foxes just as dead up to 300 yards yet far more barrel life.

A

I've had a couple of swifts loved all of them they have all been short actions vs and vssf had one rebarreled in standard swift with a slow twist 1/12 and had another in swift AI 1/7 both were very accurate in my case the increased case capacity was of no great advantage accuracy dropped of the faster you pushed it. Also by the time you have fire formed cases and developed loads you have eaten into your barrel life sum what . Don't let this put you of to much as a swift is a great 0-250 yard point and press fox gun.

Archived