Australian sniper team successfully engage at 2800m.......

IanF

Great if it's as reported....but with Barrett semi autos?! Blimey a 1 MOA rifle at 100 at best if you find a good one and fire it on a good day...... more likely to be 2 MOA and exponentially worse further out.

Must have been done it for sh1ts and giggles at that distance- there are now so many certain ways of smacking someone in the face at that range that a 50cal Barrett is about the last thing you'd pick.

As long as they dropped some.....well done them :)

Supposedly Sub MOA with the match ammo made by Prime Take specifically for it. (the 100 yard test target that came with the rifle was around 3/4" i think). The trouble is there are no 1000 yard gallary ranges you can use 50's on, plus the cost of the match ammo is not easy to swallow! However pick an moa sized target at 1000 yards at somewhere like Warcop and it'll nail it repeatedly. Furthest I've had mine out to with the match ammo is 2600 yards, the hits were witnessed by Roger at SYSS - I'd taken him up for the first time that day and he was assisting with spotting. Mil-surp and tracer not so good but great fun.

I remember reading something on this a while ago, I think Craig Harrison's record still stands. I'm not so sure of the accuaracy of a semi auto Barrett, but I do know what a Rangemaster 50 is capable of with match ammo.

I think they used 2 Barrett's, so takes away the accuracy of the rifle and increasing chance of a hit. Does this make 2 Barrett's 0.5 MOA?

This one has been discussed within certain circles for a while now. Great work by the team, as BD has indicated, there are more certain ways of malleting a tgt at that range but its always good to push the boundaries. That will be worth a few in the Mess!

The shot(s) seem to have been a while back, the Examiner piece and the Aussie Telegraph article referenced are from Oct 2012 and that refers to "earlier this year" ie early 2012. Surprised we have not heard more about it.

I've played with an M82A1 and link 50cal surplus ammo out at 1000yds, it was definitely not a precision setup but fun none the less. Just slapping home the mag and cocking the thing made me grin

Tony

If you are in a large field with a load of rabbits and a 223, do you take on ridiculous shots as a challenge?

Well it seems like we have been at war in some fairly 'target rich' environments for over a decade now and with a semi auto Barrett and the government paying for your ammo, would you just fire once? Im no military man but haven't they introduced some new form of 'accurate shooter' rank who simply shoots at these target rich environment without all the further complexities of additional sniper training?

If you are in a large field with a load of rabbits and a 223, do you take on ridiculous shots as a challenge?

Well it seems like we have been at war in some fairly 'target rich' environments for over a decade now and with a semi auto Barrett and the government paying for your ammo, would you just fire once? Im no military man but haven't they introduced some new form of 'accurate shooter' rank who simply shoots at these target rich environment without all the further complexities of additional sniper training?

To the first question, yes. Done quite frequently with .22lr actually.

As for the issue of deployment orbats and specific unit tasking, I would suggest that such info is outwith discussion on open forum.

To the first question, yes. Done quite frequently with .22lr actually.

As for the issue of deployment orbats and specific unit tasking, I would suggest that such info is outwith discussion on open forum.

I don't think the Taliban read UKV

I am in touch with my Uncle Tal e Ban who just happens to live in the Helmand province, and for some reason he takes an interest in our UK operational information regarding deployment of troops, types of weapons/ammunition because he told me he belongs to a local 'gun club' and they just love to sit drinking coffee and chatting about stuff like that which he said is just harmless banter. Should I be suspicious?

Public domain:

The Site Institute has also reported that the Taliban appear to have attempted to gather information via Twitter, noting that the group’s account was following the Twitter feeds of several U.S. military personnel as of early 2011.[51] One of the individuals followed by the Taliban’s Twitter account was a U.S. Air Force logistics officer, whose Twitter account linked to a personal blog containing discussions of military passenger screening at airports and Afghan military personnel’s unwillingness to wear the trauma plate inserts in their body armor, as well as photos of his base and Afghan National Army counterparts.[52] In addition to social media, Richard Barrett, the coordinator for the Al Qaida Taliban Monitoring Team at the United Nations, has noted that the Taliban monitor the foreign news media and NGO publications, citing as examples the Taliban’s prompt responses to a UN report on civilian casualties, and articles in Time and the Sunday Telegraph.[53] An International Crisis Group report in 2008 indicated that the Taliban monitor Afghan media and engage in retribution against journalists deemed unsympathetic to its cause;[54] the Taliban’s prompt disavowal of a bloody suicide attack in Jalalabad in February 2011 following the airing of CCTV footage of the attack on Tolo TV indicates that the group continues to monitor Afghan media closely.[55]

If the Taliban readily did read UKV, I'm sure they'd all be using 6mmBR Turbo 40 Grendel Ultramags in 7.5WSM-284 Dasher .22 Walldog with no turn necks and small BR primers by now

They would be mark , just waiting for barrels to arrive and the mcmillan multiban stocks

Archived