Riflecraft threading jobs?

Just ordered a rem700 and the guy in the shop told me that he Edgar Brothers now thread them if you want and its included in the price sounds good my only concern is that Riflecraft are contracted to do it, I would much rather have had Neil do it but they only offer it with riflecraft, I have no experience with them and was wondering if they can be trusted to do the job right? The other way around means I would have to recieve the rifle into the shop then send it away to get threaded and proofed again, alot of extra hassle and money, but if I there is any reason to doubt riflecraft then I will not have it done by them, I do remember a therad on another forum about a piss poor job they did, dont want them wrecking my new barrel. To be honest I dont even want it threaded, I would much prefer to use it without but they are just too noisy especially for lamping

Just ordered a rem700 and the guy in the shop told me that he Edgar Brothers now thread them if you want and its included in the price sounds good my only concern is that Riflecraft are contracted to do it, I would much rather have had Neil do it but they only offer it with riflecraft, I have no experience with them and was wondering if they can be trusted to do the job right? The other way around means I would have to recieve the rifle into the shop then send it away to get threaded and proofed again, alot of extra hassle and money, but if I there is any reason to doubt riflecraft then I will not have it done by them, I do remember a therad on another forum about a piss poor job they did, dont want them wrecking my new barrel. To be honest I dont even want it threaded, I would much prefer to use it without but they are just too noisy especially for lamping

You wont have a problem with riflecraft threading the muzzle, I do a lot of work for them, they have a top notch set up. :huh:

As a consumer I think Andrew is a first class gunsmith and also a great charactor to deal with

He built me a 6mmBR which is laser like

Recently he built me a pair

6 x 47 lapua and a

6.5 x 47 lapua

Just waiting for a free weekend to develop some loads for this pair

No absolutely no problem with his skill and product

Craigyboy

I read you had a Cooper 204 Ruger and changed it to a 20 tactical - have you still got it - Do you mind if I PM you to share your experience

I too have bought a Cooper 204 from BF and is due to pick it up over the Easter weekend............

I own two rifles from Riflecraft, both Rem 700 derivatives, and they are the mint choc chip. Don't fret.

Regards Pete.

Guest sean1967

I can vouch for Andrews workmanship. First rate! A big plus is he can actually do the work himself unlike some of the other so called rifle builders and gunshops..

I doubt that there's a riflesmith/ gunsmith in the country that hasn't had one customer complain at some point.

Plus Riflecraft turn out more rifle in a year than some smiths manage in 5.

Ejg I went for a 22-250 in the VSF model, tan coloured HS stock black action, 22-250 may seem an odd choice as I already have the 20 tactical which Is a stunner but I thought seeing as I call myself a varmintiner I owe it to myself to own the all time classic varmint round at least for a while + the tac20 is pretty light and makes a great carry rifle with its light mod in the day time but is still quite noisy as its only a tiny moderator. I fancy something heavier with one of those big fancy new moderators for foxing from the mates jeep. I had thought of a .243 but honestly on my ground there are no deer to be seen and getting permisssion within about 60 miles of my house for deer would be impossible + I cant really afford to pay for stalking right now so I dont have much need for it as it will be used mostly for foxing. I reckon in 2 years I will go for a deer cal when I am up on my feet abit and can pay too stalk, thats how I am justifying it anyway, if I feel I dont need the 22-250 when I am applying for a deer rifle I will just have the 22-250 re barreled to a suitable cal. The shooting ranges I use are only 600 yards so I am sure the 22-250 will be good enough for a bit of playing and paper punching at that range.

Londonhunter youre more than welcome to pm me about the .204 ruger.

Thanks for the reassurance about riflcraft lads, as all of us are I am real picky about who works on my rifles and not kowing a thing about riflecraft I just wanted to make sure, thanks.

Craig,

I also got a 22-250 just so that I'd be flexible once

a barrel or calibre change is needed. And at a push we

can shoot deer with the 22-250.

I'd love to make an ultra light 20 incher in 7-08, but then

I'd need something for the foxes again.

edi

hi craig

i bought a rem 22-250 vssf a few years ago now and it was not the best out of the box (wouldn't shoot for that which promotes growth and vigour) sent it off to rifle craft trigger job, re crown,glass bed, now they just keep going thru same hole first class job very happy good turn around have no worries :lol:

Thanks Bramble basher, though hopefully mine will shoot ok outta the box but at least I dont need to worry about riflecrafts work.

Pat, the 308 also works fine for rabbits and fox but

as we shoot on club lands and people here still think

a 22-250 is a deer rifle. You could imagine the talk

between the farmers if there is a twit out there shooting

a rabbit with a 30 cal. er, we shoot rabbits that's it, we never

mention fox and they just vanish in the ditch.

Craig, took my howa 22-250 out for the first time.

Rifle was roughly zeroed, so only needed three shots at a bucket and got it spot on.

52gr a-max and 35.5gr N140, nice clean powder.

Dropped a rabbit at 146m, I swear the smoke came out of the poor thing.

Then a nice big dogfox came walking towards me, had a bit of a limp.

Really chuffed with the rifle, stock is a plastic piece of... its ok until

I have my glas stock.

edi

Image116.jpg

I suppose if you hit a skunk in just the right place it releases all that nasty stink from them :rolleyes: rough.

Ejg you are using the bullet I had in mind the 52g a-max, they seem to have a good bc and are able to be bought in the post. I am going to try and get some VHIT 140 and some varget to try, I suppose it wont be long before you get that stock sorted anyhow. Good going on bugsy and the fox.

Pat, the law here till about 93 didn't allow any rifle

bigger than a 22. So 5.6x57 and 22-250 had to be used

for up to red deer. They're a bit bigger than yotes.

Thankfully they put that up to 308 now.

Craig,

I used 52gr a-maxes in the 223 they shot very well.

What I didn't like is if you take a handfull and measure the

length of the heads they are not made to tight tolerances.

Take some nosler bt heads, they are spot on. Made a

few 55gr Nos bt with n140 and varget just didn't test yet.

BC on 55 bt is better. Might be the better long range round.

Just getting in a load of 52gr Nos BTHP custom match to try.

edi

I too have a rifle from andrew at riflecraft and its fantastic. The machine work is second to none and he really knows what he is doing when it comes to precission engineering. I had a thread cut onto my .17HMR by some local guy and it was horendous compared to the job riflecraft have done.

And Andrew will talk to you like a human being and he is a hell of a laugh

Have no worries

I,ve had a close look at a brand new remmy at diggle today, with the riflecraft threading job...and it was absolutely first class. have no worries on that score.

Thank you, my mind is now truly at ease, just looking forward to getting my hands on it! Been looking into triggers and have found a fair few bits of info about tuning the std trigger they all say more or less the same thing so it must work ok, I will see how it goes anyhow before I jump in and spend on a new trigger.

I have a brand new Rem 700 that has been done by Riflecraft in my cabinet - +1 on quality job.

Thanks ronin.

Ejg what twist is that howa of yours? Have you ried any 55g bullets yet? Mine is a 1 in14 and just trying to figure out what my max weight will be. Suppose I could try that greehill formula.

Thanks ronin.

Ejg what twist is that howa of yours? Have you ried any 55g bullets yet? Mine is a 1 in14 and just trying to figure out what my max weight will be. Suppose I could try that greehill formula.

Craig,

like you I've got the 1 in 14 twist. I was hoping you would do the load developement

and I do the the foxes ;)

55gr should be fine if pushed a bit. I'll try some flat base 60gr SP with plenty varget,

could also work for not so long shots on deer.

I want to fire a couple shots through first before looking for a good load.

PM your e-mail and I'll send my load list.

edi

Craig, if you get a new remmy, it will have the new x-mark trigger.....and its truly crap.

Whilst it is lighter [slightly] it is very unreliable when adjusted. The only adjustment readily adjustable is weight of pull. The backlash, and sear engagement have been glued shut . I removed the glue on one with a tiny flame, and cleaned it all up. It would not adjust safely. People used to moan about the old trigger....now they are fighting over them in the states, as they could be adjusted properly. Personally, i would budget for a replacement as part of it it, as i guaranteee you wont like it after your cooper.

I have heard this about the new trigger Baldie, I was kinda hoping my rifle would have the old one but if not I will just buy a new trigger, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Just had a look at this rifle tonight as it came into the shop, 2 words describe the threading job "PISS POOR". They didnt bother re-crowning it as the crown face still has the original black finish, the shoulders for the mod to tighten on are rough as hell and full of tiny ridges going around the circumfernce, the edges of the threads are also badly burred and rough and the last thread has a massive burr and is slightly damaged. Lucky it was included in the price of the rifle as there is no way on this earth I would pay for that work. I know its great that we are now able to get rifles threaded without having to pay extra and to go to a smith ourselves to get it done but if this is gonna be the standard they I would rather pay for a proper job to be done. Whats wrong with a little pride in the job. ;)

Just had a look at this rifle tonight as it came into the shop, 2 words describe the threading job "PISS POOR". They didnt bother re-crowning it as the crown face still has the original black finish, the shoulders for the mod to tighten on are rough as hell and full of tiny ridges going around the circumfernce, the edges of the threads are also badly burred and rough and the last thread has a massive burr and is slightly damaged. Lucky it was included in the price of the rifle as there is no way on this earth I would pay for that work. I know its great that we are now able to get rifles threaded without having to pay extra and to go to a smith ourselves to get it done but if this is gonna be the standard they I would rather pay for a proper job to be done. Whats wrong with a little pride in the job. ;)

Craig, be glad they didn't do the crown. they might have fecked it.

If the thread aint straight, just use a bigger cal mod :o

What's the thread size?

edi

thats bad news mate:-(

Off to Neil then!

Andy

its a 5/8 thread edi, I am sure it will still be straight (well I bloody hope so). Skany I will probably just keep it as is, I aint planning on keeping it like this for long, plan is to burn the barrel up pretty quick and build it into something else.

Archived