Riflecraft threading jobs?

Craig, just because the surface is rough doesn't mean it's not running true.

I had one done that didn't look nice at all, but work well with a very small holed mod.

That barrel is very long you'll get a couple chances out of it. :lol:

edi

I musta got either the friday evening or the apprentice, ahh well provided its straight it wont hurt accuracy just doesnt look great.

craigy,

Dont blame the apprentice they often do better work then the so called "skilled" men, it all depends if the guy doing the job has pride in his work.

I have seen loads of skilled men who dont care and put out work just good enough to pass inspection, all they are interested in is collecting their wages and getting out of the place.

True craftsman have a passion for their work.

Ian.

I musta got either the friday evening or the apprentice, ahh well provided its straight it wont hurt accuracy just doesnt look great.

hi craigyboy

now i have had a unpleasant deal with riflecraft, but that is water under the bridge.but have you asked Andy to put it right? or even contacted them about the job?? as he might be only to pleased to put the job right.give him a ring and see what he says

just a thought

Colin <_<

Col it was done in with the price with my rifle so I suppose its only to be expected as I am sure riflecraft have priced it pretty keen to get the work from edgar brothers as I believe riflecraft are doing all the work for edgar brothers now, therefore there keen price maybe means they cant devote the proper time needed to do it right, it would cost 100 quid just too post it there and back from over here so I will just live with it.

Ian I know where you are coming from, I take massive pride in my own work and never leave a job until I am happy its done right and finished well but I see plenty of guys that have the skills but dont use them, at work I am foremen and alot of time I take on new guys, if I get a guy with no pride in the job he is out the door with his P45 pretty quick. Just cant understand why people dont take more pride in there work, when I do something I want people to look at it and say whoooooaaaaa the guy that done this put a lot of thought and effort into this. I have ended up with only 2 guys working under me, got sick of guys not doin there job right, only kepy my wee brother and one apprentice with potential <_< Means i hada work full time again but I dont mind as I know things are done right and its alot easier to keep an eye on things.

Heres a roof me and my little brother done in the summer from douglas fir pine, its the kitchen in a massive renovation project of an old mill my dad was doin. Everything is done old style cut with hand saws, some of the timbers were as big as 12x4 ;)

DigitalCamera078.jpg

DigitalCamera079.jpg

DigitalCamera088.jpg

This will still be standing when I am gone and hopefully people will appreciate the effort.

I,m surprised its a bad job from riflecraft, there work is usually fine. Is it really a poor thread, or just does it look poor. Remmy chrome moly barrels are,nt the best quality steel you know, and sometimes can look "burry". Get it checked with a certified ring gauge, then you will know for sure.

We had some ruger 77,s come the other day [rimfires] which now come pre threaded. We quoted for the job for viking arms, and they opted to get them them done in the states. They are the wrong dimension.The threads are not cut deep enough, and the correct ring gauge wont fit on the thread.A silencer will go on, but the thread is incorrect. Most places dont even have a ring gauge, because of the cost. You pay peanuts...you get a monkey. If a machinist normally charges £50 -£70 to thread a barrel etc....is he going to spend the same time, and take the same care, on a job that is paying £10 a barrel?...no, is he buggery. Its not right, but its human nature.

Non of these comments apply, or are intended towards riflecraft , by the way.

We get people moaning in the shop about threading costs, as i,m sure everyone else does, they dont realise a ring gauge, to check their thread, can cost up to £300 each, and we all know how many different threads are out there.

As most of us here now know, setting up a lathe to do gun work, is a very costly excersice indeed, chucks, tooling and reamers can rapidly run to the same as a s/h machine.

I am sure its straight enough baldie it just dont look great, not alot of care taken over it, I always though it would be std practice to recut the crown while you were threading but maybe not. I totally agree with you on all of the above thats why usually I have no qualms with paying more money for work to be done right, it dont bother me if I know someone is putting in the effort, as you say it takes a bit of effort to get a barrel set up in a lathe true to begin with, so why the hell not make it worth your while and do the bloody thing right while you have taken the time to set it up.

Yep, agree buddy.

Its not standard practise to automatically recrown a barrel , however...far from it it infact. You would be surprised how childishly silly people can be, when it comes to a crown. Some will avoid it being touched at all costs...usually the same silly twats who think it can be recrowned with a drill bit and a marble. :huh:

We have two prices , one for straightforward threading, and another for shortening, threading, and recrowning. As you say, however, both jobs require the same set up time. Once its set up, its the work of minutes to reface, and recrown it, with the correct tooling, and its gonna be a better job than a standard barrel crown from the factory, any day of the week.Good luck with the new stick buddy. :(

cheers baldie, I would say she will shoot just fine anyhow. ;)

Archived