Chose of powder for 6.5-284

Hi guys I'm new to this forum I I was wondering what's the best powder for my 6.5-284 I'm currently using vita viori n165 , but I want to get more speed out of it . What powder would make the velocity increase slightly

simples 4831 sc job doen and welcome to the site by the way

with a 140 g amax you should attain 2890 if your running a longish barrel 30" ish

n165 gave me 3050 with a 129 scenar .sean broxham was using varget yesterday at diggle in the 600yd br comp but i dont know what load he was using you can use elcho 17 that would give you some more speed but again never tried it so cant help with load data.as spud suggested h4831sc .

R17 IS OK BUT CAN BE VERY SENSITIVE TO TEMP , I.E. IF YOU ARE RUNNING A WINTER LOAD WHICH IS NEAR OR MAX PRESSURE YOU WILL STRUGGLE TO USE IN WHEN THE MONTHS GET WARMER

R17 IS OK BUT CAN BE VERY SENSITIVE TO TEMP , I.E. IF YOU ARE RUNNING A WINTER LOAD WHICH IS NEAR OR MAX PRESSURE YOU WILL STRUGGLE TO USE IN WHEN THE MONTHS GET WARMER

Sorry about the caps lol

Thanks for the help everyone I think I'll try the hc 4831 I was using the n165 as my gunsmith who built the gun Callum ferguson of precision rifles said that would be the best to try , the gun shoots great I just need a touch more speed

H4350 is very popular amongst American 6.5-284 shooters even with 140s and should suit 120s in the cartridge better than 4831 being a bit faster burning. Re17 / Elcho 17 will give very high MVs, but has downsides as others have noted. (A big plus though is that Elcho 17 is currently available and good value while your chances of finding 4350 / 4831 are low to nil right now and they cost a good deal more when you do find any.)

The other one to look at which will definitely bump your MVs up considerably, is Viht N560 if it's still available anywhere. Like Re17 / E17 it's a high energy (contains nitroglycerine) formula and that does reduce barrel life if you load it to maximum performance.

Yes, Lovex SO70, AKA 'Accurate-4350'. A very good performer, usually shown as marginally slower burning than the Hodgdon version. It has long kernels so does not flow well or meter well through powder measures.

H4350 works well, as does Vit N160 / N165, H4831SC and RL 25 in some barrels...

Ramshot are listing 3245fps with their Magnum powder and a 120 grain Sierra HPBT and that is with a 24 inch Barrel. It is relatively cheap, Kranks imports it and if flows through Measures like Mercury.

I use 56 grains of 165 with a 120 Nosler for 3000fps. I have some Ramshot and may give it a try.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

H4350 works well, as does Vit N160 / N165, H4831SC and RL 25 in some barrels...

H4350 is the powder of choice. But hard to get at the moment apparently but it is the way to go IMHO.

Good shooting.

Archived