My new AR15 Upper.

farmer7

A slight aside, but what would these straight-pull AR types be like as a foxing rifle? They certainly look the part, but are they quiet in operation?

I'm a big fan, but worry about how discreet they are, regarding noise from the straight pull bolt (please excuse my lack of correct terminology).

Is it possible to have a Picatinny rail straight onto the action, so that it's nice and low and suitable for dedicated nv?

Thanks.

George

A slight aside, but what would these straight-pull AR types be like as a foxing rifle? They certainly look the part, but are they quiet in operation?

I'm a big fan, but worry about how discreet they are, regarding noise from the straight pull bolt (please excuse my lack of correct terminology).

Is it possible to have a Picatinny rail straight onto the action, so that it's nice and low and suitable for dedicated nv?

Thanks.

George

George,

I sell quite a few for foxing, including several 12" barrelled carbines for those that spend a lot of their time shooting from trucks.

If you put a smear of grease on the buffer spring it cuts the noise of cycling down considerably (not that they're that noisy anyway) , so that isn't generally a problem.

If you take another look at the rifle in the first pic, you will see that the Picadilly rail runs the full length of the hand guard and is continuous from the top of the receiver, thus ideal for NV.

Mark

Thanks for that, Mark. That rail in the pic looks ideal.

Guess I'm going to have to read up on these 'lowers' and 'uppers' and things like 'side-charging' etc.

The build certainly appeals and has done for some time. Wanting a new rifle which will be purely for foxing with dedicated nv. Basically, a truck gun, so short in overall length, without losing too much velocity. Smooth tubular forend that won't snag, but maybe with a length of Picatinny rail on one side for an illuminator. Stock with an adjustable cheekpiece and butt pad. Barrel threaded for a CQB. Like the look of the palm-shelf on the pistol grip, but unsure how practical that is for a truck gun.

Sound like a big ask?

George

Thanks for that, Mark. That rail in the pic looks ideal.

Guess I'm going to have to read up on these 'lowers' and 'uppers' and things like 'side-charging' etc.

The build certainly appeals and has done for some time. Wanting a new rifle which will be purely for foxing with dedicated nv. Basically, a truck gun, so short in overall length, without losing too much velocity. Smooth tubular forend that won't snag, but maybe with a length of Picatinny rail on one side for an illuminator. Stock with an adjustable cheekpiece and butt pad. Barrel threaded for a CQB. Like the look of the palm-shelf on the pistol grip, but unsure how practical that is for a truck gun.

Sound like a big ask?

George

No, doesn't sound like a big ask at all.

I recently did one for a guy up your way, basically a M4 CQB with 12" barrel, collapsible stock and single stage trigger.

His requirement was for a short rifle with iron sights that he could use for ambushing CWD or Muntjac (small deer anyway) at 60-70yds.

I convinced him to go for a detachable carry handle so he could put an Aimpoint Micro on it.

I think he's already christened it.

I wouldn't go with the palm shelf, you're looking for a fast gun and that will only hinder you

Thanks again, Mark.

Just need to brush up on the terminology now and peruse more pics of what would be a suitable build for me. Do you have somewhere that would show the various components available to me?

George

Not really but I mostly use products from Samson and Magpul these days.

Upper receivers are my own and I'm currently using generic high quality lowers from somewhere I won't disclose (unless you ask me offline).

Barrel choices are hammer forged Armalon ones or Border, both Archer and cut.

If you're interested give me a call, it's easier than interwebnet stuff

Mark

07973-462542

Archived