RCBS Chargemaster - Any Good?

TACDAVE

All

Toying with the idea of investing in a RCBS chargemaster as I now load for 4 different calibres, was hoping to maybe cut the hours stood

infront of the bench with the 505`s

Has anybody got a good experience to share? Seen on youtube a simple mod which involves a McDonalds straw stuck in the end of the

tricker to improve accuracy ........ not so sure now?

Worth the money vrs accuracy or should I look at something else?

I've owned a Chargemaster for around 6 years now and consider it an extremely good piece of kit and one I wouldn't like to be without. It will hold 0.1gr accuracy which I find acceptable - I know that if I had a more accurate scale I wouldn't be able to shoot the difference. Its also probably the most time / energy efficient (in terms of reloading) piece of equipment I have.

The straw trick acts to drop one kernel at a time which helps prevent over throws from clumped grains. You can also reprogram them to speed up the throw which is simple and effective.

We use a Chargemaster and for convenience they are superb and remarkably accurate when checked. Keep the CM level and on a solid surface. Some powders seem to throw better than others, H4895 and G4831SC are always good, Varget will over throw on occasion and as Vince says, just pour it back into the hopper. Viht are mostly good. The McDonalds straw thing does not seem to work with UK straws as they are not big enough unless you wrap them so I have a feeling the Americans have fatter straws. I machined an insert for ours which performs the same function but only because I could and the modification is not needed.

As an aside we know a company that uses 4 Chargemasters in a row at the same time to speed things up. Every charge is independently checked on a lab scale and apparently they never throw under and if over it is never more than 0,1 grains when checked which is impressive. ever since she saw the setup my wife who does all of the throwing her has been muttering about a second Chargemaster to speed things up. As an example it takes around 30 minutes to throw 50 charges for a 6,5x47

Regarding the straw trick - I have some US McDonalds straws which are a larger diameter than the UK ones (draw your own conclusions to that!) and they do fit well. However the smaller straws work best - you simply nest them together by making sleeves until a snug fit is achieved. This reduces the ID and creates a better trickle. When changing powder you just have to check for stray kernels held up behind the straw and clear them out. Along with a level surface you need to keep them clear of strip lights, mobile phones and any other source of electrical interference in order to get the most out of them.

I have one. They really meter well with powders like Ramshot Tac, powders like Varget seem to drop too many kernels. As the lads have said above, I think you need an american MacDonald's straw as ours don't seem to fit well. I use mine to reduce the weighing time and then transfer the powder to a set of RCBS 1010 scales which have the webcam attached to bring the final balance to a definite point. It may depend on how many rounds you are constructing as the Charge Master has a massive reservoir compared to the tiny one the Target Master boasts.

On top of all that there is the cost. The Charge Master in my opinion is over priced compared to the Target Master which seems to do the same job if not better if your only reloading 10/20 rounds at a time.

In summary, I think you will churn more rounds out with the Charge Master it all depends on your needs.

Regards

Carl.

I wouldn't be without mine, that's for sure.

The finer the powder the better they will work. Long stick type powders can overcharge slightly but I keep a lab spatula to hand to remove a couple of kernals if needed.

Kynamco use several chargemasters and swear by them

Mark

Having happily used a Pact version of the RCBS Scales and Trickler combo for years, I bought a Targetmaster and a set of accurised 5-10 Scales from Alan aka 1066 in August.

I wouldn't go back to the Pact set now. :)

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/20696-rcbs-scales-which-one-to-buy/

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

What I was saying was that having used a Pact version of the RCBS electronic scales and dispenser happily for years, I bought a Targetmaster and accurised 5-10 scales from Allan(1066) in August and I wouldn't go back to the Pact set.

Pics etc in here http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/20696-rcbs-scales-which-one-to-buy/

Cheers

Fizz

:ph34r:

Archived