Gunsmiths please HEEELLLPPPP !!!!!

Hi all, so I've just bought a thumb hole stock for my Annie 1517 .17 HMR. I have it a quick rub with walnut oil, and proceded to fit the action to the stock BUT on fitting the action and tightening the screws, the action sits to low in the stock, it sits so low it stops the trigger firing and the bolt from cycling !!! Also the bolt release catch on the left side of the action can't be pushed forward. The barrel touches the stock also, so I've cut some plastic "packers" and had a play, well I've got it sitting higher and the barrel free floating, with an even space on either side of the barrel. The trouble is there's a bigger gap down the left side of the action,and you can see the left packer,the right side fits flush. it's not a massive deal, but it bothers me, so what's the solution ? Just deal with it, send the stock back (I don't think it's been inletted properly) or have it bedded ? Any suggestions ?

FD11DD29-9048-47ED-8448-98A5EBB08DFC-564

4175A283-A3BC-4E37-ADB1-338A1458E4C5-564

49561CF6-E57A-497E-9E4D-008CE8C9841D-564

If you bought it in the UK might be worth giving them a ring and ask them for advice on a replacement, if from the US then return postage is probably more hassle and expence than sorting it yourself with a dremmel, dowel and sand paper and a pack of devcon, was it bought as 100% inletted and finished or 90ish% finished. I had a Richards microfit that took me an age to fit and finish (worth it in the end though)

I got in the uk, I spoke to the Annie importer (ruag) and they said all the thumb hole stocked rifles are put together in the uk. So in theory it should be a simple swap job, but they are trade only, so I might have to go through the gunshop ordered it through. Il have to ring them tomorrow, the inletting does look a bit ruff !!!

That stock was made by customstock in Sheffield. Google them and either ring them , or better still , return it to the importer. Something is most definately not right there. Dont mess about with it, you will invalidate the warranty.

take it back , my 17 is that exact model bought with thumbhole ! after two years i noticed where the blot closes the wood was rubbing the back of the bolt arm and putting pressure on the bolt . i cut the wood and freed it , it went from a 1" group to a gunuine 1/2" @ 100yards . :D

Well, I spoke to ruag again today, and they have asked me to send the whole rifle back and they will finish and inlet the stock for my barreled action. All for free, so can't moan at that really :) the manager said it should of been finished by a stocker and was very apologetic, so I haven't thrown my toys out the pram, so to speak. Good end to it all :)

Well, I spoke to ruag again today, and they have asked me to send the whole rifle back and they will finish and inlet the stock for my barreled action. All for free, so can't moan at that really :) the manager said it should of been finished by a stocker and was very apologetic, so I haven't thrown my toys out the pram, so to speak. Good end to it all :)

Good result.Sometimes it's worth asking at the point the buck stops,as much of the advice suggested.

Gbal

Nice one :D

Archived