Remington 700 SPS Tactical

I'm tempting myself a little by having a look at .223s on guntrader. I've found a few examples of this gun for about £550, which isn't expensive for a varmint barrel rifle. Is it any good? It comes threaded by the look of things, which is good. I wanted a Tikka T3 tactical, until I spotted the price :lol:

The rifles good, but be aware of the stock and perhaps refer to the Remington Stock thread also on this side of the forum.

The SPS stocks are not the best.......

After an internet search, I've found they have a floorplate type magazine. That's put me off. I like a removable mag. The standard T3 varmint is available for £600, and as I'm really happy with the T3 I have now that could be a possibility. Are they screwcut?

The sps tactical has a better stock than the std sps, it has a flared, beavertail type forend, and appears to be made from a denser , stiffer material.I haven,t seen any that come threaded. The new t3,s are coming threaded now, it should be an 18 mm thread on a varmint i think, if its not threaded, its old stock.

I doubt the tikka or the remington are screwcut, not many factory rifles come screwcut, the only one I can think of is CZ which need to be ordered screwcut and also those howas. I was looking at an sps varmint in my local on thursday, it wasnt too bad at all the stock was ok but just didnt allow the barrel to float, a bit of 1 inch dowel and some corse sand paper to start might do the trick although it might not be that easy as the barel channel isnt really a channel it is just a load of webbing so would be quite hard to sort but I am sure it could be done, on another note a choate ultimate varmint stock is only 160 quid and they may look funny but are 100 % functional from what I have seen of them. I personally dont rate the stock on the t3 as much better than the sps though the detachable mag is a big plus but upgrade options are far less. I had a look at one of those howas and the rifle itself seemed nice but whoever is doing the thearding jobs on them isnt doing them any favors, dont know what the therad is but it is corse as f@*k and they have not been recrowed as the burr left on the outside of the crown is massive, not giving the rifle a fair chance with that sort of job done on it. worth a look to though as they are great value and seem to shoot well (just get them re-threading or buy one unthreaded)

There is no comparison between the sps and the T3, the tikka stock works fine, you can have laminated if you want and they come screwed M18x1 threads, or plain if you want. Super Varmint, now your talking but it is a bit dearer, but desireable ( damn these gun dealers putting temptation under my nose!). :rolleyes:

Redfox

redfox how much is one of those super varmints I like the look of those and since when have tikkas started coming threaded, is this recent? They are sounding better, going on wednesday to order a new rifle and still havent made up my mind, either a rem 700 VSF, tikka varmint or if I really go mad a sako laminated varmint.

Dead right Martin. Yes it has been available for a while now threaded as Baldie says, I was quoted about £ 155 more for the super version if I remember right, Baldie could tell you better than me. That damned lottery win is very slow coming! :rolleyes:

Redfox

Nah he can only get me the 85 in the cal I wanted, he does have a very nice .222 in the 75 varmint laminated though, just dont need a .222 but does have a lovley 75 hunter in the cal I am after I am tempted though its a bit light for what I like but would make a very nice foxing rifle.

I`ve been out with a chap this afternoon to try out some ammo in his SPS tactical .223

Tried Remmy,Sako and Federal ammo but things were so bad I was beginning to think there may be some problem :rolleyes:

Eventually got round to Hornady 55g and things just clicked

This one was screw cut by the dealer it was purchased from

I'm pretty sure I'll get the T3 if it's screwcut. Decision made me thinks :o

EDIT.... I thought the screwcutting was all done by Wildcat Rifles in Worcester. Maybe that's changed? They did my screwcut on my Tikka, it's a really tidy job :rolleyes:

I dont know who is doing the tikka threading, i,ve a feeling its factory done. Wildcat is doing all howas as part of their deal with highlander.

I've been looking at the SPS Tactical too.

The stock is a Hogue Overmold - I believe the same as on the Howa's. It's certainly a step up from the SPS Varmint in house job.

The example I looked at was still pretty flexible on the forend but as is is a hollow/webbed arrangement I had presumed that filling this with Devcon etc would help in the short term although it would probably need some weight at the butt to balance.

I have Hogue stock on a shotgun and I do admit to liking the feel of rubber :rolleyes:

A chap just posted this elsewhere and it's certainly a handy looking package with the 20" barrel and mod.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8649/p1011636zr3.jpg

TC

I had a play with an SPS in a local gun shop. The Hogue stock was far too flexy and when fitted with a Harris bipod, the barrel touched the end of the stock forend. If it's possible to stiffen the forend of the stock then i guess it would work fine. I used to have the same Hogue overmoulded stock on a Ruger 77 and that had the same prob. I would have to ensure i was pushing the rifle forward on the bipod so the barrel lifted from the forend. The daft thing is that Hogue offer the same stock using an aluminium skeleton instead of plastic that makes the whole package superior. More pricey but superior...

Trust Remy to fit the cheaper of the two and screw up an otherwise fine rifle i'm sure..

Grant....

My 6.5x55 is 1/2" UNF (I think) and was done by Wildcat rifles. It's a tidy job. Baldie, what screwcut would be on my 10/22 you built me? 1/2" UNF? The Sak that's on it fits my Tikka thread (before anyone starts fitting again, I've never fired it with that on there. More detail in posts springs to mind!).

What's the idea with this long action Tikka thing? Is the bolt movement the same on the .223 as the 6.5x55? If so, that's a bit poo :lol:

Right, 1/2" UNF it is then. Thanks.

I don't like the idea of having the same bolt travel as there is on my 6.5x55. Maybe I'll have a look at the Mannlicher? I don't want to spend too much, I'm a bit skint lately :lol:

If its a steel barrel its 1/2" unf buddy.All t3,s are long action, it was done to keep costs down.

Baldie,

didn't know that, so all T3 stocks have one action inlet, or?

a 223 stock would fit on a 30-06?

edi

Archived