Valkyrie 6x47 Lap

wabbit evaporator

About 3 months ago i picked up my 6x47 from Dave Wylde at Valkyrie. The scope arrived 3 weeks ago and I've spent the last few weekends teaching myself to hand load (with a lot of help from the guys at Stutley Brothers and Spud (i owe you 15 quid by the way!!!).....) and developing a load.

Anyway, after shooting some relatively tidy groups in the .3s and .4s but not really feeling like I had found all of the rifle's potential I changed powder over to IMR 4350 and stuffed the bullet 10 thou into the lands.

The results have been awesome. I have taken a few days holiday from work and shot three groups on the trot today that measure sub .25 in a not inconsiderable wind. The smallest is below.... Looks like I've found the load.

For anyone considering a custom rifle at the moment I cannot recommend Dave (Baldie on here) enough. He's had the patience of a Saint with me throughout the ordering process, I must have changed my mind 10 times along the way! He also knows what he's talking about and steered me away from many potential pitfalls along the way. The level of workmanship evident on the rifle is second to none as is the attention to detail. I now have a rifle that will pretty much compete with anything else out there (if i do my bit) and have thoroughly enjoyed learning to hand load along the way.

These rifles are a serious investment as we all know and I thought long and hard about who I wanted to build this but at the end of the day I was after the most accurate piece of kit possible and it looks as if that is exactly what I've got.

N.B. photo was taken with rifle pointed 90 degrees away from target......

post-10902-0-38066300-1383324133_thumb.jpg

post-10902-0-26451500-1383323892_thumb.jpg

nice when it works out-I would not make a habit of changing bullet and powder at the same time-but if this precision is repeated,you do not need too-about as good as it gets,for most mortals-the gods live in 'Valhalla',a few of us get to visit.You should try your rifle in real competition-though that is really you and the rifle,but that's great shooting so far!

Nice too to see appreciation of skilled work cost of same.Don't waste it on big targets!!

Gbal

Scotch: Here you go: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/19673-6-x-47-odin/ Far more detailed photos although unscoped and sitting on an 'arris. I thought a lot about this and then bounced ideas off Dave, repeatedly!

George; i wasn't very clear. I changed the powder, kept the bullet the same but just decided to start the load work jammed rather than 10 thou off. Was concerned that when I found a good load I'd worry about pressure if I then started playing with seating depth. Don't worry, I'll be competing with it! May get myself another stock to swap it into. So far so good, every group i've shot with that load to date has been sub .25 (admittedly n=3) so its certainly showing promise!

No-one using the VLD's??

Because I am new to reloading, I didn't want to overcomplicate matters as I'd heard that the VLDs are more sensitive to seating depth. They are a lot more readily available though.

No-one using the VLD's??

i shot 105 HB in mine when used in f class-the 105 vld was ok but the HB.s were better less sensative to seating depth.

you dont know till you give em a go!

I can only see one hole did you miss the rest ?

Excellent shooting the one hole group looks promising

Mick

It's a very fine group-seems pretty clear '8' shaped hole-two in the same hole below,and one heavily overlapping on top.Or is it 5shots? Given the other few groups were sub .25, development is done.

Gbal

Archived