6x47 lapua advice!

Ro6.5

Hi. I am thinking of adding a 6x47 to the cabinet and was after a bit of advice from anyone with experience. It will be mainly a deer legal vermin gun with the ability to shoot out to 6-800 yards and was wondering would I get away with a 22inc barrel or would I need a 24! What sort of velocity should I expect with a 105 bullet? Will a 1-8 twist stabilise lighter bullets for foxes (70 grain's)?

Mine is a 24" 1in8. 107g mk 2968fps 55g bk 4116fps 70g bk 3666 fps the 70s are out of a new barrel think they will go a little bit faster. 105 a-max out of a 20" barrel 2654fps it was not a hot load they will go faster.

Ties in with everything I've read. H4350 seems the go-to powder with the 105s.

I've just got mine assembled and waiting for the scope to arrive.

Goldie/Vince- tell me how you necked the brass down. I followed the advice of a few and imported a Forster FL die but all it did was crush two necks despite lubing the die and case quite adequately with Imperial die wax. Couldn't believe it. Wasn't gonna murder any more so having a rethink. I'll prob borrow a .25cal bushing and try that as an intermediate step. What works for you?

thansk

Chris P

30" barrel-elcho 17-lapua brass -105 berger hybrid-3200 fps no pressure signs -on a stolle action.

just run the 6.5 x47 brass through a forster 6x47 fl die load and shoot.this is for a no turn neck.

Goldie/Vince- tell me how you necked the brass down. I followed the advice of a few and imported a Forster FL die but all it did was crush two necks despite lubing the die and case quite adequately with Imperial die wax. Couldn't believe it. Wasn't gonna murder any more so having a rethink. I'll prob borrow a .25cal bushing and try that as an intermediate step. What works for you?

By co-incidence, I've just done 35 tonight - like Gary W says - run 'em through a 6x47 Forster die. Slightly chamfering the outside of the case-mouth and some Imperial sizing-die wax might help but I've never had a problem.

By co-incidence, I've just done 35 tonight - like Gary W says - run 'em through a 6x47 Forster die. Slightly chamfering the outside of the case-mouth and some Imperial sizing-die wax might help but I've never had a problem.

Would a redding fl die do the same job?

Right, seem to have found a solution.

I called in to see the crew at NZ Hunter with the idea of borrowing a 25cal bushing as an intermediate step. . Greg had another idea and gave it a go. Put the 6.5L case through the 6x47 body bump die then through the S neck die. All happy, no crushing :wub: A .269 bushing gave just the right amount of neck tension in these unturned cases.

Still no scope so I can't shoot it, in fact can't even order the 34mm rings til I get the scope. The ATACR has so much internal elev adjustment range that I probably should discard the 20min Farrell rail that's on it

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can anyone give me any starting points (powder type,weights and seating depths) for loading some 105 amax or 70g blitzking please. Also are the Berger 105 hybrid or 107smk any good what have you guys been getting the best results with? decided on a 24inc barrel in the end. Thanks! Ro6.5

I shoot the 105 berger hybrids in my 6x47 (Valkyrie action with a 28" border). 105s over 38.8grn IMR 4350, jammed 10 thou into Lapua brass with CCI 450 SRM primers. Struggled with RE 17 and things didn't really tighten up with the IMR 4350 until I jammed. The results now however are awesome.

No idea as to velocity but after shooting 100 yards today moved the target out to 400. The myxy rabbit that wondered within 2 yards of the target didn't notice the difference though.

Archived