Recomend me a rifle in 6.5 x 55

tulkyuk

Guest Baldrick

I had a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55, now replaced with a Sako 75 Hunter. Both were good, but the Sako is a more refined rifle. One stalking pal uses a Mauser M-03 in 6.5, another uses a Heym. Both of them tough and accurate.

You won't have much luck with American brands, from my experience of looking for rifles in that calibre. I'd be interested to see what the general recommendation is though.

As it says on the tin boys - can i get some of your views on what to buy, starting at sensible money at first

Budget -Tikka T3 £550

Mid Range -Sako 75 if you can find one £1050

Top Range -Sauer £1400+

Custom -Skys the limit but £2000 should get you started

Hi I stalk with a K95 Blaser in 6.5 x 55 weighs 5 pounds nothing without scope

Bit pricy but well worth it if you lug it around the highlands.

Please dont put a nightforce on it if not you will defeat the whole charactor of the rifle which is ultra portability

I would suggest a conquest 4 -14 x 44 Zeiss scope from the states total weight including 01 round up the spout 6 pounds tops

It is also a break action and nobody can query your safety handling especially game keeper who does not know you

Disadvantge one cannot shoot with a bipod

You must order the american straight stock and not the hog back stock that is standard in the UK unless you have a very lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng neck

recoil very manageble.

my few pence worth hope it helps

Brno, hands down.

Forget "pre-war calibers"??? Which war?? ~Andrew

Andrew, in this case several

I think the swede has a couple disadvantages also.

The american ammo is loaded fairly low to cater for

old rifles fluting around. Everyone rates the penetration of

the swede highly, for what? Good penetration means not

shedding energy when pissing through, wow! Now that explains

why all the deer my mate shoots with his 6.5 just run away.

Penetration is something you want if you shoot an armoured vehicle.

The old discussion either fast small bullet or large diameter and slow,

well the swede has neither.

And if long action, why not go for a 270.

I think there are better calibres that also have more rifle choice.

:D now I'm gonna get killed

edi

:D now I'm gonna get killed

edi

+1 you are spot on.

As for rifles I was impressed with the Swiss Hunting Rifle (SHR) the quality is right up there with Sako, it is far better rifle than a T3 IMHO and at a price that is not a lot more than a T3.

Best rgds

B-b

The swede has lasted this long because of it's ability to take down the largest of european deer with sniper like precision.

Don't be swayed from your caliber decision Tully it's an awesome round...

As for the rifle... There can be only one....... :D

feel_main.jpg

Cheers boys,

i had virtually decided on a sako 75 Varmit anyway, so it looks like i will just go with my first choice then.

I`m sure you won`t be disappointed with your choice Tulky ;)

You`re a luck boy finding a new 75 :) They`re becoming thin on the ground now with the new inferior 85 taking over

;) now I'm gonna get killed

edi

No killing forthcoming. :)

To each his own but I ask, have you ever shot anything with the 6.5 Swede? I have been shooting the 6.5x55 for 28 years. I cant account for your buddy's shooting but I own seven Swedes of various makes that have killed everything from antelope to elk with a smattering of mule deer in between. My brother-in-law was once a guide at a very high-brow outfitters in the Sangre de Cristo mountains above Sante Fe New Mexico where large bull elk were their specialty. He used a 6.5x55 with 160 grain round nose bullets to down the elk wounded with 7mm Magnums and such. I would suggest to your mate to find a more appropriate bullet for what ever sized deer he is shooting, or learn to shoot straighter, because if the bullet is matched to the game, the Swede is a sure killer. JMHO, of course.

But hey. What I was really getting at was the fact that there are many "pre-war" (WWII) cartridges that are superb game getters; The 30-06 Springfield for one, the 300 and 375 H&H and the 257 Roberts for a few others. Oh! And lets not forget the 270 Winchester of 1937! It was just funny to me that you brought up the "pre-war" designator.~Andrew

Never had a deer run away from my 6.5x55 penetration before exanding is desirable on most animals, but to repeat everything Ive shot with mine has been DRT from muntjac to reds and you can ring the changes on bullet weight anyway. :)

Redfox

The differences are not huge, but things have moved on since

the 40's, just look at computers and planes.

Even the almighty 30-06 a great round but if you stay under 165gr

the 308 can do the same and is a bit more accurate in a short action.

Now if I would inherit a 6.5 I'd get on with it no problem, but

if one buy's a rifle from scratch there are better.

We have one problem here we don't have much choice with

ammo, the shops stock very little. So choices for the 6.5 where

fed 140 (didn't group well) Norma (over 60 Euro/20) don't remember

the weight, but they just pissed through fallow heart shot little hole in and out.

The the lapua mega 156gr, ok if you hit bone going in. For these sika and fallow

does and calfs the SST might be better. Just not available, handloading not legal.

Put any old 150 soft point in a 308 and it'll expand, that's what I mean.

Even if it wouldn't expand it's around 38% bigger hole.

If one decides to change barrel and calibre the 06 or 08 range would offer more.

edi

Your friend should take up handloading for his 6.5 (Classic Lee Loader: $23US) and quit fooling around with big game bullets on small animals. An 85 or 100 grain bullet might be just the ticket he's looking for. Here the 120 grn is king on antelope which is a fairly light bodied animal.

I shoot both 30-06 and 308 and like them both. I choose the rifle for the game and terrain. Longer shots over open ground begs the 30-06 and 180 grain bullets. The 308 may have an accuracy edge on the 30-06 but not enough to notice in the field. Shooting off of your two hind legs kind equalizes things! (Wish it weren't so! :) )~Andrew

Tulky, a 6.5 swede will sit anything on its arse that walks in this country.It just need the application of the correct bullet type for quarry, and with a swede, you have a bigger choice, than most other bore sizes.There are literally dozens, in all weights, and types. Sure the swede is an old cartridge, [over 100 years old] but it works.Forget the old stories of underpowered cases, they are for the old swedish mausers military guns.A modern rifle can be stoked right up. I have no experience personally of shooting deer with one, but have seen them drop like a sack of s*t from others guns, and as a target round, it pisses allover a .308.I,ve shot them both at 1000 yards, and would take the swede every time. Just my 2 cents though.

Andrew

The 6.5X55 with a 160gn would most likely be illegal to shoot deer with in Scotland (it has to make a muzzle velocity of at least 2450fps).

Anecdotal evidence: my mate has binned his 6.5 for use on red stags, as he was getting too many runners/not dropping them on the spot; he tried 130 and 140gn bullets.

With due respect to you as an American, I should point out that we in the UK on average shot far more deer than the average American hunter I would say they are lads that have shot deer numbers into 4 figures on here, and the average recreational stalker in the UK must knock over 20 deer a year or more.

In Scandinavia were for many years the min’ legal calibre for use on Elk/Moose is 6.5X55 this is now being reviewed and it looks like a min’ of 30-06 may be introduced.

I think Baldie may be right when he says a new rifle chambered in 6.5X55 can be made to perform, if you are prepared to disregard to modest reloading data in the manual and use your experience to work up your loads. (but if it goes wrong don’t come crying) Oh and you will then loose that modest recoil everybody seems to rave about.

IMO the 6.5 is a good calibre, but with standard swede loadings (6.5X55) it is bettered or equalled ballisticilly by most other mid’ range deer cartridges at the distances we shoot deer at.

Best rgds

B-b

Andrew

The 6.5X55 with a 160gn would most likely be illegal to shoot deer with in Scotland (it has to make a muzzle velocity of at least 2450fps).

Anecdotal evidence: my mate has binned his 6.5 for use on red stags, as he was getting too many runners/not dropping them on the spot; he tried 130 and 140gn bullets.

With due respect to you as an American, I should point out that we in the UK on average shot far more deer than the average American hunter I would say they are lads that have shot deer numbers into 4 figures on here, and the average recreational stalker in the UK must knock over 20 deer a year or more.

In Scandinavia were for many years the min’ legal calibre for use on Elk/Moose is 6.5X55 this is now being reviewed and it looks like a min’ of 30-06 may be introduced.

I think Baldie may be right when he says a new rifle chambered in 6.5X55 can be made to perform, if you are prepared to disregard to modest reloading data in the manual and use your experience to work up your loads. (but if it goes wrong don’t come crying) Oh and you will then loose that modest recoil everybody seems to rave about.

IMO the 6.5 is a good calibre, but with standard swede loadings (6.5X55) it is bettered or equalled ballisticilly by most other mid’ range deer cartridges at the distances we shoot deer at.

Best rgds

B-b

Well. I never thought of that. You boys do shoot a lot of deer. It doesn't change the fact that the 6.5 x55 will kill large deer handily. Here 20 deer a year would net you (literally) a ton or better of meat. That would be a waste, eh? If your collective mates can't get the job done then I'm thinking that they either are choosing the wrong bullet or not placing it well. As it stands, we can just agree to disagree as the camps seem divided. I am curious BB: Where was your friend shooting them that he expected them to drop on the spot??

As to the 160 grain. With H-4831 (in a Swede) I have easily hit 2450 with a Hornady 160 grain round nose. I think I was shooting 46 grains of this powder with the bullet seated to the channelure and came just a few fps over of that mark with no problems. As I never load to maximum I'm sure there was still some room to go with that powder and bullet.

There are no loads for "modern" 6.5x55 rifles as far as I know and as the brass is always the weakest link in the breeching system, it wouldn't pay to push it too hard. My son has a Winchester M-70 FWT that gets the same loads as the Swedes. In fact, some loads that are fine in the Swedes flatten primers in Winchesters due to the generous groove diameters of the original swedes. A groove of .268 to .270 is not uncommon. Just an FYI. ~Andrew

Tulky, a 6.5 swede will sit anything on its arse that walks in this country.It just need the application of the correct bullet type for quarry, and with a swede, you have a bigger choice, than most other bore sizes.There are literally dozens, in all weights, and types. Sure the swede is an old cartridge, [over 100 years old] but it works.Forget the old stories of underpowered cases, they are for the old swedish mausers military guns.A modern rifle can be stoked right up. I have no experience personally of shooting deer with one, but have seen them drop like a sack of s*t from others guns, and as a target round, it pisses allover a .308.I,ve shot them both at 1000 yards, and would take the swede every time. Just my 2 cents though.

Cheers Baldie,

why i decided to have this calibre? - i did a bit of research before deciding which rifle i fancied after the 243 and a 6.5 seemed to fit the bill nicely on all counts.

its what i fancy as a rifle is the main question and i think i will stick with my first choice of a Sako 75 heavy barreled varmit.

Here 20 deer a year would net you (literally) a ton or better of meat. That would be a waste, eh? If your collective mates can't get the job done then I'm thinking that they either are choosing the wrong bullet or not placing it well. As it stands, we can just agree to disagree as the camps seem divided. I am curious BB: Where was your friend shooting them that he expected them to drop on the spot??

Hi Andrew

Any excess venison we shoot gets sold the game dealers, or though personally I hate to take it to them as generally you get so little money for it, I trade quite a bit of mine, the landlord at my local pub likes a bit of venison so I swap him it for a few beers, my neighbour keeps chickens so with him it’s eggs. I expect other lads do similar. So nothing wasted.

I don’t dispute that with better shot placement the swede would of drop the animals my mate was shooting at, but he was giving a lot of animals a second bullet although the first in most incidents I am sure was fatal. We are taking heart lung shot here and he is a above average shot on the rifle range. We have to use expanding ammo by law here.

As to the 160 grain. With H-4831 (in a Swede) I have easily hit 2450 with a Hornady 160 grain round nose. I think I was shooting 46 grains of this powder with the bullet seated to the channelure and came just a few fps over of that mark with no problems. As I never load to maximum I'm sure there was still some room to go with that powder and bullet.

According to the Hornady manual you are close to 4gn of power over there maximum recommended load, and you want to push it more?

There are no loads for "modern" 6.5x55 rifles as far as I know and as the brass is always the weakest link in the breeching system, it wouldn't pay to push it too hard. My son has a Winchester M-70 FWT that gets the same loads as the Swedes. In fact, some loads that are fine in the Swedes flatten primers in Winchesters due to the generous groove diameters of the original swedes. A groove of .268 to .270 is not uncommon. Just an FYI. ~Andrew

Obviously some barrels will be tight and give more pressure than others, but using new quality brass say Laupa I think there is room for some improvement in a lot of rifles, if you know what you are doing. After all you yourself are running well over max’ in your reloads. :blink:

My point at the end of the day is not all of us believe the bull spoken about this calibre:- like it punches above it weight, it shoot laser flat, it produces not meat damage, it drops all deer including moose on the spot, it has no recoil.(the Sako I used to use on 160gn had a fair kick to it :unsure: ) ect ect.

It produces a bit more energy than a 243 keeping to the manuals max' recommended loads and has a excellent choice of bullet weights.

IMHO it is a good mid range calibre that is all.

Best rgds

B-b

Archived