Black powder Benchrest

bob roberts

Hi all, I had a great time the other week watching a 100y Benchrest comp and was just wondering if there is anything similar for BPCR rifles.

I’d love to do something like this:

With something like this:

14497-shiloh-sharps-montana-rough-rider-
But even nicer. ^_^ ^_^

Though I suspect it will be to the amusement of the sensible fellows zeroing their .223 and .308 rifles during the week at my other club.

All the little wind flags! :blush:

Vince mentioned that there is a class for everything else, but I doubt this is quite what he had in mind. :D

The plumes of smoke could be a good wind indicator though! :lol:

I don't know about black powder cartridge bench rest but there once was -and probably still is- a group of black powder BR shooters. If you read the book "The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle" by Ned Roberts you will see the style of rifle they use: all heavy barrel and an action to pop the cap. We have ML target shoots here and one part of it is BR shooting at 100M with open sights. My Parker Hale Whitworth took first many years ago, and I took a second with a Sante Fe Hawken 52 caliber firing round balls. My winning group was better than that of that Rolling Block 45-70. It's a lot of fun.~Andrew

Bob,

Using a scope's just plain cheating :) (although the MVA tube scope's rather nice and a bit different!)

Sharps771.jpg

100m, cast and BP off the bench, similar results obtained by others on here with same rifle - much to their surprise :blink:

Think if I was going to do BR with a BPCR I'd drop down to a 38-55, less punishing in normal weight rifles.

Do you shoot these guns at the moment?

Brgds Terry

ps - wiping between shots is just so wrong - and I think still against (old but not rescinded) NRA rules?

Bob,

Using a scope's just plain cheating :) (although the MVA tube scope's rather nice and a bit different!)

100m, cast and BP off the bench, similar results obtained by others on here with same rifle - much to their surprise :blink:

Think if I was going to do BR with a BPCR I'd drop down to a 38-55, less punishing in normal weight rifles.

Do you shoot these guns at the moment?

Brgds Terry

ps - wiping between shots is just so wrong - and I think still against (old but not rescinded) NRA rules?

Thanks Terry, I was hoping that you would chime in.

I’ve been thinking about one of these for a while, I had a go of a chums 45-70 at a Quigley match and had a great time.

I found the big bull’s-eye target easy to see and enjoyed the match immensely, but the fellow who runs the comp has decided to move over to a small reactive target next year.

I can’t see the thing, it is very small to my eyes at least, so I had planed on not doing the comps.

But my eye has been taken by a beautiful Shiloh Sharps, :wub:^_^ ^_^

407441715.jpg

I can use a vintage looking scope, I’ll just be disqualified in the comp. :)

407441734.jpg

mmmmmmmmm

I’ve decided to go for 40-65 as I have back issues and think that it looks far more pleasant to shoot. :blush::)

As is, it should be able to get me to 800y but there are other mounts available to take me further.

I could get a riser block for the rear mount, but I want to keep the 100y zero for mid week practice at my other club. :)

I like to go to the symphony during the week and I think doing an afternoon of this first will make for a classy mid week treat to myself. ^_^

Ben

Ben,

The 40-65 is a nice cartridge - it was the first BPCR round I owned, It was in a Browning repro Win 85.

I used it to shoot Silhouette with this bunch: http://www.yauponcreek.org/ and the occasional long range side match with the THSS :http://www.thss.org/

40-65 brass can be formed from new 45-70 (Remington if you can), had best success with imperial sizing wax (think I've spare tin if you need some?).

Regardless of what you shoot buy a good turned mold not a commercially milled one. A Paul Jones or one from Dave Gullo at Buffalo arms - they are a good source of everything 'old' - see here: http://www.buffaloarms.com/. about 380-410 grains. 'Money' or Postel design. I'd stay away from shallow cannulas unless you really 'do' want to wipe each time. :(

Over powder wads from fibre gasket or (if you must) .040-.060 HDPE sheet (actually think I've a .40 press mounted wad cutter in the cellar?)

PM me if you would like to talk BPCR reloading - there's a few 'tricks' to make it work well - then it just 'does' :)

Shiloh Sharps are very nice, fit and finish are great and they shoot. I ran a long range express in 45-90 for a few years and it was real sweet, pretty too :wub:

Still, enough of my babbling.

Terry

How offensive - I didn't shoot a half-choke pattern like the one in the pic; I shot a group. :lol:

Matt,

Posting any of the other groups and folks would think I'm not being honest about the rifle ;)

Terry aka English

Archived