RPA issues,

newsatten

Hi

Had the chance to shoot 2 RPA's back to back at the weekend, one a Interceptor in 6.5 x 47 mag fed etc,

the other a Ranger in 6.5 x 284.

Both shot very well, superb triggers etc, however they both exhibited the same strange noise on firing !

A sort a bonging,spring type of sound!

Is this normal and any idea what causes it?

best

If you think that's a strange experience, you need to fire my NRA gun. It's an RPA CG-2000 action (predecessor of the NZ- Made Millenniums) and it's on Flexibed bedding in a McMillan stock. The recoil is rather rubbery, ie a softer low frequency vibration rather than the usual hard setback.

A strange experience but it's a tackdriver

The Belleville stacks are heavier to cock however the lock time is quicker and the stack is under no tension at all unless cocked so it is really down to personal preference. I would not use one for Benchrest but for F Class or TR/MR the stack is well worth considering. They can also be tuned to a greater degree than the conventional coil spring and do not loose any 'spring' unlike conventional coil springs.

Just FYI, Interceptor rifle is on the Quadlite system - that DOES have a regular firing pin spring. Belleveille stack is in the more robust Quadlock. And as for that bolt lift - I assign that more to the lesser angular movement of opening the four lugs - the cocking ramp is simply that much steeper if the FP is to travel the same distance.

BTW my Interceptor makes no noise except when in an aftermarket Alu chassis. There is apparently some resonance going on then.

LK

Archived