.260rem or .260ai?

In the process of getting a .260 built, it's going to be based on a Tikka T3 and be used for target/long range vermin out to 1000+ plus the odd deer/African plains game.

I like the idea of the improved route giving the the ability to shoot the 140's at a decent velocity. Having never had a improved cartridge before is it worth the extra work/hassel?

I have used and built quite a few improved rounds , Its all down to choice . 260AI is a great round and no more work to load or form than a standard 260.

just load up your 260 round and shoot it in the Ackley chamber and there you go.

If you really want to push a 140 bullet at 1000+ yards then I would look at round with a larger case capacity .

I can see you are building a 260 or 260AI but if your really after a long range round I would look at a 7mm

the 6.5 just cannot compete with a 284 or shehane let alone the Magnum based chambered rounds ,and don't let people tell you that 7s are barrel burners (if your pushing a 6.5 hard it will burn your barrel too ).

Hi Danny.

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty set on a 6.5mm bullet/.260. I'm not a competion shooter so I'm not too worried about getting the latest or best round for 1000 y.

The .260 will fit in well between my other calibers.

I already have a .300 which could be rebarreled next time as a 7mm.

Just wanted some feed back for I order some expensive dies from the states.

Hi Danny.

Thanks for the info, I'm pretty set on a 6.5mm bullet/.260. I'm not a competion shooter so I'm not too worried about getting the latest or best round for 1000 y.

The .260 will fit in well between my other calibers.

I already have a .300 which could be rebarreled next time as a 7mm.

Just wanted some feed back for I order some expensive dies from the states.

go for the 260AI no probs with the dies there are lots around plus you will get rid of that nagging doubt of should I of gone to the AI chambering , there no great margin between the both , and as said you will get better results with the 140 heads.

going back to the 7mm there is quite a large margin of improvement from 600 yrds plus to be gained from the 7mm over the 6.5.

I shoot a few 6.5s and love them for short range shooting out to 600 yrds but after that I always pick up a 7mm.

lots of us target boys have and still do shoot vermin and stalk Deer , we just shoot on average many more rounds a year than the field shooters and have the good fortune to see lots of differing rounds shot by 100s of people from around the world .

So sorry for trying to push you the 7mm way its been beaten into most of the long range target shooters the hard way.

Enjoy your 260 its an awesome all rounder .

I got my first 260 Rem in '99 and am now on my third rifle and it's on its second barrel.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

I've shot the 260 Rem in a couple of competitions this summer using 123 gr A-Max, with some reasonable results.

I've also got a 243 Ackley - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p4428-russell-gall-243-ackley-improved.html

I've toyed with getting an 'Improved' 260 for a while, but having run the 243 Ackley for a little while, I don't see the benefit. If the std 260 Rem doesn't do it for you, get a 6.5 x 284. The downside of 'Improved' cartridges is dies. I got a custom full length resizing die from Hornady once I had some twice fired brass. I look forward to trying to sell all the 243 'Ackley' dies sometime soon when I re-barrel it to 260 Rem.

Some of the 6BR threads are quite interesting and some folk favour 120-130 gr bullets rather than heavier. Saying that, I was practicing with 142 SMKs the other night.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3773413.0

Your T3 action is a good choice as you will be able to seat heavier bullets out where they need to be and still work through the magazine.

My recommendation would be to stick with a standard round and don't spend money on bespoke dies.

Good luck.

JCS

JCS SGA fly target July 2013.pdf

So sorry for trying to push you the 7mm way its been beaten into most of the long range target shooters the hard way.

I fully understand the benefits of the 7mm's, just gives me a reason for another project next time.

I'm surprised the amount of target shooters still using the 308 when compared to the pro's of the 6.5 and 7mm's. Is that just down to barrel life?

I fully understand the benefits of the 7mm's, just gives me a reason for another project next time.

I'm surprised the amount of target shooters still using the 308 when compared to the pro's of the 6.5 and 7mm's. Is that just down to barrel life?

I got my first 260 Rem in '99 and am now on my third rifle and it's on its second barrel.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

I've shot the 260 Rem in a couple of competitions this summer using 123 gr A-Max, with some reasonable results.

I've also got a 243 Ackley - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p4428-russell-gall-243-ackley-improved.html

I've toyed with getting an 'Improved' 260 for a while, but having run the 243 Ackley for a little while, I don't see the benefit. If the std 260 Rem doesn't do it for you, get a 6.5 x 284. The downside of 'Improved' cartridges is dies. I got a custom full length resizing die from Hornady once I had some twice fired brass. I look forward to trying to sell all the 243 'Ackley' dies sometime soon when I re-barrel it to 260 Rem.

Some of the 6BR threads are quite interesting and some folk favour 120-130 gr bullets rather than heavier. Saying that, I was practicing with 142 SMKs the other night.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3773413.0

Your T3 action is a good choice as you will be able to seat heavier bullets out where they need to be and still work through the magazine.

My recommendation would be to stick with a standard round and don't spend money on bespoke dies.

Good luck.

JCS

Nice rifles...

I take it the fly target is 400yds?

My T3 is currently a long action so I'll be able to seat the bullets right out if need be.

The reason for 308s been used in target shooting is mainly there given comps are calibre specific (ie) TR/Match rifle 308 or FTR in F class comps 308/223.

Danny

Have you remembered to consider the cartridge length in the action and mag, if it will take a long cartridge . Another really good calibre is 6.5 x 55 acklied or not. I think I won the group agg score with mine at the fly shoot this year.

Are the T3's actions not all the same length? Thought it was the Sako that had varying length actions?

George

Actual action length is the same, they have different mags and bolt stops.

If the .260/.260AI is to be fed from a magazine then you might be better sticking with the .260.

I'm hoping the AI will feed from the T3 set up as the mag is single stack/single feed ramp on the action.

I run a 260ai Neal built for me using a Tikka 595 action. No problems with it feeding and it shoot's better than me. I'm getting 3000fps using a 129gr SST.

Neil's building mine too.

What lenTH barrel have you on your's?

Neil's build mine too.

What lenght barrel have you on your's?

Couldn't make my mind up between 22" and 24" so it's 23" :D

Was built as a stalking rifle with a no.5 profile barrel just in case I wanted to go down the range with it.

I take it the fly target is 400yds?

I don't think that any target rifle shooters - given the choice - would use a 308Win. but it is mandatory for Target Rifle (capital T capital R) and F/TR Class. Most serious F Class Open shooters will use the 7mm.

The Fly target is shot at 500 yards in the UK.

I use my 260 out to 1200yds plus with 140 Amax , getting them out at 2850 with a stout load of N560 , another 100fps isn't worth it to me, having said that the 260 is really a reload option to get the best so AI wouldn't be a massive chore ?

Oh and it kills rather well to ! (Not at 1200 yet though!)

My straight 260 does 1000 yards easily and accurately with a 123g Scenar and 42g of N550....looking at 2950 from a 30 " barrel....doesn't need any more oooomph!

Archived