Valkyrie 6.5x47 range report.

I'm in the process of switching all of my rifles to dedicated left handers after struggling for years of having some left, and some right.

Dave Wylde at Valkyrie rifles has been a great help to me, freely offering his advice and time. As part of this switchover Dave had agreed to build me a very specific rifle in L/H configuration, in 6.5x47 using his own "Odin" action. You may recall that he did a short post on it here a couple of weeks ago. http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/19671-leftie/

As well as picking my new rifle up, I asked Dave if he could have a look at a long term extraction problem with my 6BR target rifle that had long niggled at me. Dave astonished me, fixing it by making the components there and then, but that's another story I'll post in the near future.

Anyway, it was time to visit the range last week to try it out.

Although I'm still deciding which scope to buy to complement this rifle, I fitted an old 8-40x56 Hakko and headed for the range.

P8090104_zpsd1d39a99.jpg

I loaded up 50 rounds using Varget, starting low and working up to the top end of the loading data.

Brass was virgin Lapua.

Primers were Remington 7.5

Bullets were Lapua 123 Scenars (Set 10 thou of the lands, using the guage Dave supplied with the rifle).

Although a Benchrester at heart, I'd decided to stick with the bipod for the test. Although clearly some of the shots off the mark were down to me, I eventually settled into a kind of death grip hold and proceeded to surprise myself and the lads I was shooting with.

Of the 8 groups shot (All 5 shots each at different charges), worst was .712", and the best .093" Valkyrie6.5x47.pdf

To say I'm delighted with the rifle is an understatement, it shot brilliantly, and is testament to Dave's skill as a riflesmith.

I'm not one for posting groups etc., but feel it is entirely appropriate to highlight my satisfaction with Dave's work.

Thanks again Dave, you're a star! :D

Although a Benchrester at heart, I'd decided to stick with the bipod for the test. Although clearly some of the shots off the mark were down to me, I eventually settled into a kind of death grip hold and proceeded to surprise myself and the lads I was shooting with.

Of the 8 groups shot (All 5 shots each at different charges), worst was .712", and the best .094"

Wow - outstanding! Bring it down to Diggle!!

Wow it is not often I see a rifle and need one, but this could be it, particularly with the groups you're achieving so early, well done and congratulations!

Very pleased for you and its clearly up to Daves usual high standards!

Archived