.308 BULLETS Berger V Nosler

SWALI

I've been using Berger 175Gr Hunting VLD's for deer for some time without dropping them on the spot.

Even roe bucks hit in the engine room will simply run for 20m. Very accurate round over Varget but its a bit disheartening watch them run after the shot into the timber. (without a dog) !

Considering giving Nosler Accubond or Ballistic tip a go. 180 gr . I have a 1:13 barrel twist.

This rifle is also used for red & sika stags.

I've read excessive meat damage using the Balistic tip though.

Look forward to comments.

Hi Swali,

they may not be the sexiest bullet in the world but plain Jane lead tipped Sierra Game Kings in 150gr (2125)are your answer. Minimal meat damage and a blunter bullet shape definitely hit the deer harder, and if you're woodland stalking the round nose pro hunters(2135) are even better, but these are best inside 150yds. They are also as cheap as chips compared to the modern wonder bullets so try a box before you discount them, I've shot dozens of dear from Munties to big Reds with them.

I've tried the Berger VLD's in 6.5 and .308 and found the same as you, they kill the deer but don't drop them to chest shots. Amax definitely stop them there and then but it's a messy business gralloching them and if you hit a shoulder you've lost the front end of the deer altogether. Try the traditional old lead tipped rounds and you'll be surprised how good their "on game performance" is

Mike

I'll certainly give it a shot or 2 with the Sierra's. Pretty delicate game balancing excessive bruising and drop on the spot for engine rooms.

Cheers.

I have used 2125 and they were ok.

I use 2140 165 hp sierras in a 308 and they are again ok but seem to shoot better groups in my rifle as loading to mag length I can use more case capacity. As always if you shoot enough (read sample size) then the results will have more variation. I have head shot with this bullet and game over. Another example the shot went a little low from the back, exiting the mouth. The deer was totally incapicitated and wide awake but not able to do anything. Runners can happen with any bullet but at least these give a reliable blood trail if it should not work out as intended.

Ballistic tips are effective but fragments can travel way off course and do more meat damage than first thought. 46 grs N140 behind a 150 gr Nosler is a very accurate and effective albeit expensive round but after a few shots I decided the meat damage was not acceptable. One example was a perfect head on, head shot between the eyes. The animal did an impress backwards roll and good night. Once skinned the fragments had entered into the back steaks yet the line of shot was well clear. I checked this before and after so I am certain the bullet path was clear.

Bad idea BT bullets for this but excellent foxing round.

Very interesting reading guys and appreciate everyone's response. For sure I'll experiment with a few types in the hope of finding one that works well on both the the kill and the rifle.

Quite amazed at the fragmentation of ballistic tips. Doesn't go down well with cranberry jelly !

Cheers

I'll certainly give it a shot or 2 with the Sierra's. Pretty delicate game balancing excessive bruising and drop on the spot for engine rooms.

Cheers.

You might never achieve this goal, The deer is only dead when blood pressure to the brain fails. There is no magic silver bullet as far as stopping the run on boiler room shots (depends more how relaxed the deer is when shot). .308 equals 150 grn Seirra Gameking or pro-hunter IMO. That said I think its overkill for Roe personally and now prefer the smaller calibres.

Hi,

I'm using AccuBonds to great effect in my 6.5x55. I'm really pleased with them for all the UK deer species.

However, I have used the 180 grain AccuBonds in my .300 win mag on fallow (my 6.5 was being built) and I didn't quite get the effect I expected. They died, but ran further than with 130 grain ABs from my 6.5.

I wouldn't exactly call it a statistically valid study, but I suspect the 180 grain ABs are hard and made for bigger game than fallow. So, if you use them in your .308 on fallow and reds I'd probably go for the 150 or 165 grain versions.

On the other hand, I could imagine the BTs would be better for the .300 win mag in 180 grain, due to higher weight/slower speed. But, that's pure speculation.

Good luck

Christian

I have a .308, but I don't yet reload for it. If I did, this is what I would use - http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-150-gr-SP/

Here's a pic of a recovered 129 gr SP (6.5mm equivalent).

Regards JCS

You should try this bullet that JCS recommends.

I have tried a lot of bullets in my 6.5 but the hornady 129 sp are the most reliable on deer.

They are also very accurate and I found it easy working up an accurate load unlike some of the other bullets I tried.

Not sure a 123gr bullet would stabilise in a 1:13 .308 barrel. Perhaps this will open another discussion.

From what I understand 1:13 is good for 168gr-175gr.

There is -no- issue with stabilising a lighter bullet in a tighter twist rate, not that 1 in 13 is tight, in fact it's about perfect for 155 class bullets.

I can't for the life of me see where all this over-stabilisation stuff comes from.

Unless you're shooting big reds. anything in the 125-155 class is plenty in the UK by my reading of the species there. If you know you're not going to be shooting over 250yds, a Ballistic Tip with a light loading would do the job and wouldn't blow up too much. They're certainly destructive when driven hard/shot close.

Archived