Alternate to Varget?

shooter79

Evening all.

Due to the shortage in the one powder that everyone seems to pin their shooting groups too, i would like to branch out away from Varget. Calibre will be .308 and .243 and there will be no bench rest shooting involved. Had a chat on the phone with Tiff on here not long ago and just curious what others think. He recommended the Ramshot brand but the aim is to have a supply close to me in Exeter?

Thoughts please?

Carl.

Just read you post Tiff regarding group postage with Henry Kranks. If anyone is interested, i will be placing an order shortly to get hold of some Ramshot Tac powder. If you live in or around the Exeter area and would like to try this brand out drop me a line?

Thanks for the replies lads. Spoke to the Sportsman in Exeter today, they are going to ship some Ramshot Tac down from Henry Kranks for me, i asked them about the £25 handling /postage courier charge and they said i wont need to pay it, result!

Thanks for the replies lads. Spoke to the Sportsman in Exeter today, they are going to ship some Ramshot Tac down from Henry Kranks for me, i asked them about the £25 handling /postage courier charge and they said i wont need to pay it, result!

Ramshot wildbore is closest to varget in burn rate. I'm trying some in my 223 and will try it in the 308 too ;)

Danny, how did you see the Wildbore powder near the Varget, i seem to see it. All i can see is Tac near it?

Danny, how did you see the Wildbore powder near the Varget, i seem to see it. All i can see is Tac near it?

Hay mate I looked on some powder burn rate charts. Wildbore is as near as dam it accurate 2520 but cleaner burning ;) the velocity's it generates with the 223 are very very fast ;)

'Wild Bore' is almost certainly the same as US Accurate-2520. By 'US 2520', I mean Belgian manufactured, same as the Ramshot powders. 'Old Accurate-2520' and still available, often under that name is Czech manufactured Lovex DO73.6 ball powder. It gives very high velocities, but as dannywayollife says, is a dirty burner and you have real trouble getting the powder fouling off the outside of case-necks if you don't do it straight after shooting, or use one of the more advanced case cleaning methods.

The reason for the confusion is that Western Powders Inc.of Miles City, Montana which introduced and distributes Ramshot powders, bought the Accurate Arms company maybe five or six years ago. They soon ditched all the Czech powders that the former A-A company had bought and replaced them with similar burning rate products from elsewhere, in the case of ball powders, from the Belgian plant that supplies them with Ramshot grades. The Czech powders are still available in the UK as they're imported and distributed by Westlander Ltd

http://www.westlander.co.uk/

They should be (and mostly are) labelled now with the correct Lovex brand and product names, but so that longterm users know what they are usually have a sticker on that gives the old Accurate name and number too.

Returning to Ramshot, both TAC and Wild Boar perform very well indeed in .223 Rem and .308 Win. Wild Boar is a bit slower burning and is better suited to heavy bullets if top MVs are wanted. It gives extremely good velocities with 80s and even 90s in .223. For heavies, 180gn and up, in .308 Win, the next slowest burner in the Ramshot range, 'Big Game' is an excellent performer and will give higher MVs than either of the faster burners.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW: Varget is finding it's way back onto the shelves of US retailers. Bought 5 pounds last week.~Andrew

great to have you here Andrew, being from US its great to know wtf is really happening from across the pond ! keep us posted bud .. atb...tim...

• 5 months later...

Aaron,

Henry Krank has just (finally) received its first shipment of Ramshot 'Hunter'. It's a slower burner than Tac and should be ideal for .243 Win. (Likewise, 260 Rem, 6.5x47L, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5X55mm and most mid size to large cased sixes.) It has a similar burning speed to the various 4350s.

cheers Aaron, i use tac in my 22-250 so i will try it in the 308 when i use the last 40 rounds of the varget loads and then see how i get on. im on max loads with the varget 47grn over a sierra 150grn sp so will need to be near upper levels with the tac to try and imitate the varget loads.

cheers James

Archived