Lyman Accutrim - What am I doing wrong?

.300wm

I bought a Lyman Accutrim about a year ago and have only used it twice, I got it out the other day and can now remember why I don't use it.

It just will not trim straight or consistently, it trims at an angle no matter which way you locate the shell holder. I can honestly say that the Lee pilot case trimmer I have trim much better.

Is there a knack to it or is it just a poor design?

Regards

Hi,

Yes I use the supplied pilots.

It does it will all calibres and all shell holders. The angle is visible quite clearly with the naked eye and shows when measured with vernier callipers.

I suppose I must have a poorly milled example!

Are there any other trimmers you would recommend?

regards

Forster. Hands down. I use one and love it. I bought it originally for neck turning and neck reaming while doing some cartridge conversions. Found I was using it more and more for just trimming. I have LE Wilson and others, but the Forster is my favorite for versatility.~Andrew

I have one of these. It's nicely made but I don't use it much. If you load a number of different cartridges it can get pretty expensive feeding the need for the cartridge holders, and wild cats cartridges can be a real bother. I used to make cartridge holders for wildcats by running the chambering reamer into a piece of barrel blank stub turned to the proper diameter. If you buy a wilson/sinclair and have a wildcat built, go the extra $ and have a trim die made at the same time. It will save you some headaches.~Andrew

I have one of these. It's nicely made but I don't use it much. If you load a number of different cartridges it can get pretty expensive feeding the need for the cartridge holders, and wild cats cartridges can be a real bother. I used to make cartridge holders for wildcats by running the chambering reamer into a piece of barrel blank stub turned to the proper diameter. If you buy a wilson/sinclair and have a wildcat built, go the extra $ and have a trim die made at the same time. It will save you some headaches.~Andrew

Andrew. Yes, you're spot on. My 243 Ackley looked attractive, but getting a bespoke die and and a case holder for the trimmer all added to the costs. Regards JCS

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew. Yes, you're spot on. My 243 Ackley looked attractive, but getting a bespoke die and and a case holder for the trimmer all added to the costs. Regards JCS

third that i waited 4 months for 223ack case holder ! ggrrr

Archived