Cost Of Having A Rifle Screw Cut

Calibre won't make a bit of difference.

Anywhere from £50- £100 for screw cut an crown.

Believe it or not, an RFD near me charges more (£15) for CF than RF, barrel profile irrelevant but calibre apparently is :o Although the others I've used in the area are around £60 inc VAT

Don't they also have to get the rifle proofed again before handing it over,and that can put additional £50 - £80 on top.

Oh ok so if I keep it then I can get a friend who is a machinist to screw cut my 10/22 barrel :)

Technically I don't believe so as only either a RFD or yourself can handle/work on a firearm

Technically I don't believe so as only either a RFD or yourself can handle/work on a firearm

did'nt know that,thought as long as he stayed with his gun he'd be ok.would be better using a smith then to be sure

Here it is from the horse's mouth , ie the London proof master.

I was concerned the other day as guns have been coming back from proof with a proof mark right at the end of a barrel which was not threaded , such as a target barrel. The next batch I sent , I requested this mark leaving off as the barrel was unthreaded. They refused to proof.

I never thought I would get a straight answer, as I already knew why, but I did.

The proof mark is put there so that anyone screwcutting the barrel has to remove it, therefore rendering the gun out of proof. The person doing the job MUST be an RFD as he/she is the only person allowed to hold an out of proof firearm, and cannot return it to the customer.

To remove or deface a proof mark is a criminal offence unless it is reproofed .

All guns proofed after the 1st of January 2013 carry the muzzle mark.

The proof master stated that any barrel cut before this date would not be pursued legally. Any barrel after this date without a mark WOULD.

Basically what they have done is to put a legally binding mark on a gun for no reason whatsoer other than to make money. It has nothing at all to do with firearms safety. Simply the FACT that people screwcut guns and dont reproof them as we all have known for years it wasn,t legally necessary.

There is no difference in integrity nor safety of a barrel cut before the 1st of January, to one after, apart from the fact the later one carried a proof mark.

I dont believe this to be legal and am taking advice on the matter.

The proof laws have not changed recently.

The question regarding moderators and brakes was also asked, and the proof master said it was a "grey area" according to CIP. Funny that, they have been insisting they needed proofing for years.

Wishing it so does not make it law.

Long , long overdue , are a review of the proof acts/houses.

Here it is from the horse's mouth , ie the London proof master.

I was concerned the other day as guns have been coming back from proof with a proof mark right at the end of a barrel which was not threaded , such as a target barrel. The next batch I sent , I requested this mark leaving off as the barrel was unthreaded. They refused to proof.

I never thought I would get a straight answer, as I already knew why, but I did.

The proof mark is put there so that anyone screwcutting the barrel has to remove it, therefore rendering the gun out of proof. The person doing the job MUST be an RFD as he/she is the only person allowed to hold an out of proof firearm, and cannot return it to the customer.

To remove or deface a proof mark is a criminal offence unless it is reproofed .

All guns proofed after the 1st of January 2013 carry the muzzle mark.

The proof master stated that any barrel cut before this date would not be pursued legally. Any barrel after this date without a mark WOULD.

Basically what they have done is to put a legally binding mark on a gun for no reason whatsoer other than to make money. It has nothing at all to do with firearms safety. Simply the FACT that people screwcut guns and dont reproof them as we all have known for years it wasn,t legally necessary.

There is no difference in integrity nor safety of a barrel cut before the 1st of January, to one after, apart from the fact the later one carried a proof mark.

I dont believe this to be legal and am taking advice on the matter.

The proof laws have not changed recently.

The question regarding moderators and brakes was also asked, and the proof master said it was a "grey area" according to CIP. Funny that, they have been insisting they needed proofing for years.

Wishing it so does not make it law.

Long , long overdue , are a review of the proof acts/houses.

This is out of order, why not bring a group action it will be cheaper if a few chip in ;)

did'nt know that,thought as long as he stayed with his gun he'd be ok.would be better using a smith then to be sure

Unless your friend has an FAC he can not legally touch any firearm or component part thereof, unless it is a Home Office approved clubs open day, he is a probationary member of a club , has permission to use an estate rifle or has a Crown exemption.

Someone correct me if I',m wrong

Archived