Sauer 101

Rammer223

I shot one extensively for two days at targets out to 540m and was delighted with its function and accuracy. It took a real beating occasionally shooting 20 strings, getting red hot and placing all the rounds where fequired. I dont LOVE the safety butit works well and is very secure. Barrel float was perfect, bolt cycle and mag feed were flawless and the trigger was a delight for a sporting rifle. For similar money to a Sako 85 i would choose it. Weaver bases make scope mounting easy and the recoil, although firm was never bruising after 300 rounds from all likely field ahooting positions. The forward slope on the cheekpiece was very welcome, along with an adt sized length of pull. Im not a mad fan of the polymer surround to the bottom 'metal' which is plastic but seems very tough and durable.

Nice review hatzi sounds like a good tool take the points about rebarrelling but have been told should be good 30,000 rounds subject to been looked after. Just toying with the idea of going for a lighter rig as I seem to be doing more foxin these days think I would be happy if I could manage to shot it out after all what's a remmington action worth (my current rig vssf )250 ish ,like I say just toying with the idea as I do lol

Thanks for your views

Regards lee

30,000 rounds, I'm no expert but in .243 win i think you would be lucky to get 3,000 if looked after and quite conservative loads are used.

I stand to be corrected but I think that this could be bad advice.

Nice review hatzi sounds like a good tool take the points about rebarrelling but have been told should be good 30,000 rounds subject to been looked after. Just toying with the idea of going for a lighter rig as I seem to be doing more foxin these days think I would be happy if I could manage to shot it out after all what's a remmington action worth (my current rig vssf )250 ish ,like I say just toying with the idea as I do lol

Thanks for your views

Regards lee

30000 rounds sounds like barrel life of a shotgun.....probably groups like one too after that.

on German forums they often talk about their hammer forged barrels lasting 20000 to over 40000 rounds, they don't mention accuracy.

edi

Well, you can make uour choice however you pike, opinions are just that. As for rebarrelling, well it is a valid point but its the opinion you will get on a forum heavily inhabited by seekers of ultimate ccuracy, not always a gun to be used and forgotten. 30,000 rounds does look a ridiculous figure in any calibre though.

Any body had there hands on one what do you think pro and cons.

The current (August) edition of Shooting Sports magazine has a review of the Sauer 101,as well as a summary review of stalking style rifles in the £1200 plus bracket (last month did the sub £1000 options).Seems to me you pay quite a bit for no extra performance,if you are considering fox or deer a couple of hundred yards away.

Gbal

30000 rounds sounds like barrel life of a shotgun.....probably groups like one too after that.

on German forums they often talk about their hammer forged barrels lasting 20000 to over 40000 rounds, they don't mention accuracy.

edi

good point well made lasting one thing accuracy another, might have it wrong at 30,000 but pretty sure that what was quoted,

proberly could go with tiika t3 and get same results for less money just think its a good looking rifle dont shoot lots of foxes if i shot 3000 think just about any rifle wouldnt owe me anything as i would have been glad to do so we can go out and not dirty the barrel around here, and on a good night get just a couple of foxes any rifle would last me a very long time subject to not becoming bored with it lol

Did somebody mention the barrel life of a shotgun is around 30,000 ?

I know a certain individual on this forum who shoots that every year for the last 6 seasons at world championship level and there is no servicing due

Where do you guys gets these figures from ?

I didn't read it as a serious estimate of shotgun barrel life,more a comment on the unliklihood of it being a rifle barrel life-hence the implication that it would then group like a shotgun pattern-again ,not meant to be an accurate picture-more an amusing corrective to the 30,000 (accurate) rifle round barrel life claim.

It does seem a bit unlikely that a European stalking rifle would fire 30,000 rounds in it's lifetime,even over several generations of stalkers-the modal number of rounds might well be less than 30 per annum....certainly less than 300.

Shotgun barrels would typically fire many more cartridges than rifles do,especially if used in clay competition,granted.

While there are some figures on here that may be a little ,shall we say,economical with the full truth,I don't think this was such an example,to be taken literally.

Gbal

Did somebody mention the barrel life of a shotgun is around 30,000 ?

I know a certain individual on this forum who shoots that every year for the last 6 seasons at world championship level and there is no servicing due

Where do you guys gets these figures from ?

I just mentioned it sounds more like an expected life of a shotgun barrel vs a rifle barrel.

By the way, there is more to shotgun shooting than trap and clay, our old English Lancaster Shotgun is absolute had it, barrels and action

after possibly less than 30000 rounds. Many of them were slugs, SG/LG, SSG,AAA and heavy stuff for Geese.

I don't even want to license the gun for son although he shoots very well with it.

edi

The 30,000 round figure will have been quoted correctly, I went on the factory tour where the Managing Director stated 30,000 round expected barrel life if used with factory ammo, this was with their own barrels on the 202. He even had German Police returning a rifle that had lost its accuracy at 120,000 documented rounds - but defining accuracy is a whole different subject. Even measuring or disproving the claim is unlikely to happen, however that is what they say - it might be good to ask them to prove it!

Archived