X Mag?? for a 1000 yards

pwinnall

Hello, I'm new to this long range stuff.

I have been looking at a Nightforce scope in 8-32x56 mill dot.

Would this be ok for up to a 1000 yards.

Then the x8 would be ok for closer stuff.

Thanks for you advice Phil

Depends on the target size.

A group from the site went to WMS a few years ago, I took two rifles with 4-16 PM11's

Was easy enough to connect with orange clays at 900 + meters with both .....

If your shooting a discipline such as F Class, id suggest you need at least 25 power... in order to impart a degree of precision in aiming off (using a graduated ret) and to see exactly where the marked shot is.

I'd stay with the 8x32 Night Force.

The higher mag 12x42 is nice when you can use it,but mirage often restricts the power to 30 ish,and the 12 isa bit high perhaps for other use.

Though it is a bit personal, most find that more mag is desirable for fine shot placement-and of course you can reduce as needed-you can't odd it on!

The mil dot has a reasonable cross hair ,some of the other reticules are finer-perhaps 'better' for the completely dedicated 1000 yard 1/2 moa aiming mark,but not for more general use.

You might not need the side focus NSX if you want to trim the cost on a used NF-though it is very useful if you shoot a lot at short distances and need to refocus in a hurry-you can get simple plastic handles-fishing shops-that screw on the objective ring and make it much easier to adjust...a few pounds only.

8x32 Night Force-excellent choice.

Hello, I'm new to this long range stuff.

I have been looking at a Nightforce scope in 8-32x56 mill dot.

Would this be ok for up to a 1000 yards.

Then the x8 would be ok for closer stuff.

Thanks for you advice Phil

I used the same with a different reticule a few years back worked just fine out to 1000 yds. Its not a great choice for normal shorter range stalking / hunting at 8x (too big and bulky IMO). In reality as regards target work I doubt it will ever need to see any mag level below the teens. I found it a tricky scope to set -up the focus just perfect initially but was great when I perfected it- very clear indeed and faultless tracking

Hi all would 12x mag be sufficient to shoot out to 1000 yard? not ideal I know but would I get away with it until I can get a better scope?

Thanks

Ricky

What is your target size-more specifically aiming mark size?

You need to be able to see it,and not obscure it with your reticule.

You can get a rough idea with a pro rata target size ,say !/3 at 333 yards....but it does get a bit harder with distance(scope clarity etc).

A good scope would enable you to centre your reticule confidently on a clay pigeon at 1000.(just don't expect to hit it....)!!

Gbal

Hi all would 12x mag be sufficient to shoot out to 1000 yard? not ideal I know but would I get away with it until I can get a better scope?

Thanks

Ricky

Yup, 12x will work. I am out with my wife at 1000 yards tomorrow, she will be taking a .308 with a 12x 'scope and I am quite confident she will be hitting what she aims at.

Yup, 12x will work. I am out with my wife at 1000 yards tomorrow, she will be taking a .308 with a 12x 'scope and I am quite confident she will be hitting what she aims at.

Can be done,yes.

Can be done better,yes.

Most shooters shoot better at long range with 20x,30x,40x.

Long range shooters are not buying March scopes to make shooting more difficult.

Gbal

That's good to know :) can you let me know how you got on please.

I think the targets are standard for bisley and from what iv been told about 4 foot round.

My scope has a number 4 reticle and it looks quiet a small dot so hopefully at 9 - 1000 it wont completely cover the target.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, what about a sightron S III 6-24x50 mildot for mcqueens mostly and the odd 1000yards.

Will it be enough scope or should I wait for a 8-32 night force?

It's to go on top of an AI AE Mk iii in .260 rem.

Thanks for your advice. Phil

Archived