Rem 700 Police in 223

I negociate with a guy to buy a secondhand Rem 700 Police in 223. How good are they? Better than the 700 Tactical. I prefer the 20" barrel from the Tactical, but the Police can be shortened I think. The purpose is practising on the range and a bit of fox shooting from the high seat.

Both should be 1-9". To start I plan to shoot mil surplus ammo, but would like to reload some Berger VLD's in the future. ( 70 grain??)

A better rifle than the tactical. Not many PSS,s sold , or seen since the advent of the SPS. No evidence to prove otherwise, but I,ve always suspected a better quality barrel on the PSS. The parkerising is most certainly better, plus it has the decent hs precision stock.

As I told before I am new to shooting on the range. I shoot over my dogs and have a Browning European 7x64 to shoot a deer or boar. Up to now the 7x64 does his service on the range, but this is not ideal. The stock design doesn't suit me to shoot prone ( to low on the shoulder), so recoil is a bit stiff. Ammo is also to expensive to use a lot. I don't plan to shoot competitive, but always have had a competitive mind. When the guy next to you shoots on a windy day with a 6mm BR Grunig & Elmiger about 15 rounds in a 3" circle on a windy day at 400m , you just feel that you need something more appropriate.

As I heard a lot of good from the Rem 700 and the price is very honest, this looks my way to start.

Baldie, nice website and VERY nice work. If I were in the UK, I would certainly come and have a look at your place.

• 3 weeks later...

A better rifle than the tactical. Not many PSS,s sold , or seen since the advent of the SPS. No evidence to prove otherwise, but I,ve always suspected a better quality barrel on the PSS. The parkerising is most certainly better, plus it has the decent hs precision stock.

A couple of years ago in the US, we were told that the PSS rifles got the premium grade of barrels, effectively these were the first cut on new tooling, after which once tooling had worn the tooling was said to be "downgraded" and used on the VSSF barrels then onto the ADL's/BDL's. So the barrels should be closer to the nominal sizes

I have a "Bitza" PSS with a Donor HS Precison stock, New (Proof shots only take off from a PSS that a chap bought and then wanted customising with a new barrel) and then an action which was blueprinted. It shoots better than me by good margin.

As per Dryhumour it is a 1:12 twist.

I had one, it had a C prefix action and was 1-9 twist and shot very very well. Its still for sale in Gwynedd Firearms complete with wildcat pred 8 mod with 2 sets of baffle inserts. I wish I had not sold it now as I have gone full circle back to a heavier weight rifle again, ah well live and learn all the time.

A couple of years ago in the US, we were told that the PSS rifles got the premium grade of barrels, effectively these were the first cut on new tooling, after which once tooling had worn the tooling was said to be "downgraded" and used on the VSSF barrels then onto the ADL's/BDL's. So the barrels should be closer to the nominal sizes

I have a "Bitza" PSS with a Donor HS Precison stock, New (Proof shots only take off from a PSS that a chap bought and then wanted customising with a new barrel) and then an action which was blueprinted. It shoots better than me by good margin.

As per Dryhumour it is a 1:12 twist.

[/quote

"It shoots better than me" is an interesting phrase-presumably based on someone else shooting it better.I've gone the other way occasionally-shot better with rifle B than rifle A,so the odds are rifle A isn't as good-at least for me,especially if someone else repeats thisand is also better with B.

Gbal

Archived