Safe shooter certificate

maxxis35

Just a quickie, what do I need to do in order to obtain a safe shooter cert for CSR comps, not fully kitted out yet but when I am, will want to get active in CSR.

Maxxis,

Not sure if there is anything specfic you need ref. shooting CSR but to shoot on MOD ranges e.g. Bisley, you will need to be in possesion of a 'Shooter Certification Card' with the appropriate box ticked i.e. telescope sighted or iron sighted rifle dependant on what you're planning to use?

These are normally issued by your NRA affiliated local club, but I beleive you can also obtain them via the NRA - not sure on the process.

Terry

Then how are you managing to shoot them currently on approved ranges with your club without one?

I do two gun comps at Norton barracks with my Shot gun fac rated and a 22 semi auto, also do long range black powder comps wuth my 45.110 sharps, at no time has anybody questioned my ticket, am I missing something as none of my rifles are of the hunting variety.

nothing to do with your ticket conditions or if your rifles are of the "hunting veriety" its all to do with safe hadling and awareness when on the range when you are surrounded by people

such as muzzle awareness, arcs of fire, proceedures to follow with hangfires/missfires etc etc

its not the weapon but the nut behind the butt that safe shooter certificates are all about!!!!

I do two gun comps at Norton barracks with my Shot gun fac rated and a 22 semi auto, also do long range black powder comps wuth my 45.110 sharps, at no time has anybody questioned my ticket, am I missing something as none of my rifles are of the hunting variety.

Nothing to do with the rifles, but it is a requirement if you are shooting on MoD ranges/land, and should be asked for and shown when requested.

Nothing to do with the rifles, but it is a requirement if you are shooting on MoD ranges/land, and should be asked for and shown when requested.

Hi Bradders

I want to do Bisley and Diggle, my ticket says my guns are for use on approved ranges with sufficient legal cover. So if I have you correct my ticket is only good for Diggle. How strange what are gun clubs for if not for target shooting, what else can you do with a gun on one??,,,

Hi, Which club are you a member? I shoot at Norton and Roger Bill does the certs at Severnside. Or the chairman at your club can issue you with one. I just done the Phoenix at Bisley and they did me one for that weekend.They watched me shoot then gave me a card. But I will need to speak to my chairman or do the course at Severnside. It's only to see safe handling and what to do in an emergency. normal stuff really. :-)

Maxxis35

It appears the conditions on your FAC do cover target shooting, reason Bradders asked was that some FAC holders have conditions for vermin and hunting only and not Target Shooting as the member of an approved club. In order to shoot on a MoD range you need to be a member of a Home Office Approved Club that has a current and paid up affiliation to either the NRA or NSRA, a couple of other organisations are recognised as NGBs (National Governing Bodies). You also need. Safe Shooter Certification card that can be issued by your club Chairman to cover the type or firearm you intend to use on the MoD Range. Bisley uses a MoD Danger Area so is bound by the rules for civilians using MoD ranges.

There is more information here: http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/news/13/RSPL%2013-02-%20Civilian%20use%20of%20MoD%20Ranges.pdf

If you shoot at Norton Barracks then your club Chairman should be able to certify you and issue a card. I suggest you ask him to cover all classes of Firearm on the card that you want to shoot.

Maxxis35

It appears the conditions on your FAC do

cover target shooting, reason Bradders asked was that some FAC holders have conditions for vermin and hunting only and not Target Shooting as the member of an approved club. In order to shoot on a MoD range you need to be a member of a Home Office Approved Club that has a current and paid up affiliation to either the NRA or NSRA, a couple of other organisations are recognised as NGBs (National Governing Bodies). You also need. Safe Shooter Certification card that can be issued by your club Chairman to cover the type or firearm you intend to use on the MoD Range. Bisley uses a MoD Danger Area so is bound by the rules for civilians using MoD ranges.

There is more information here: http://www.nra.org.uk/common/files/news/13/RSPL%2013-02-%20Civilian%20use%20of%20MoD%20Ranges.pdf

If you shoot at Norton Barracks then your club Chairman should be able to certify you and issue a card. I suggest you ask him to cover all classes of Firearm on the card that you want to shoot.

i shoot at Norton but I'm as a guest, my club is Minsterley ranges which has seen better days to be honest, but I'll ask the question anyway, thanks for your clarity on the subject.

Archived