Converting a 223 to Ackley Improved?

I am hearing mixed opinions about this.

Can a standard 223 be converted to an Ackley Improved simply by reaming the chamber with an Ackley reamer? I'm told that if there's no parallel section of the barrel (for the lathe to grab it) then it can't be done, and even if there is, it might still not be possible due to other factors.

The aim is to convert without costing a fortune, so it would be the cost of reaming & associated work, if possible, vs. selling the 223 and buying an Ackley. (I will need to buy dies whichever route I take). It's only a Remington 700 Varmint SPS but it's silly accurate and I really like it so I would prefer not to start again.

What does the panel think?

if the rifle is silly accurate i would leave well alone. what extra is it going to offer you apart from more cost for it to be done. and also new dies.

enjoy the rifle you have.

or if you really have a hankering for a 223 ai sell yours and get one built or see the one in sales section with dies and everything else.

atb jay

22/250foxer is spot on, i still have mine for sale if you go for a build I've got the hole kit up for grabs dies, brass rifle just needs scope and away you go.

I am hearing mixed opinions about this.

Can a standard 223 be converted to an Ackley Improved simply by reaming the chamber with an Ackley reamer? I'm told that if there's no parallel section of the barrel (for the lathe to grab it) then it can't be done, and even if there is, it might still not be possible due to other factors.

The aim is to convert without costing a fortune, so it would be the cost of reaming & associated work, if possible, vs. selling the 223 and buying an Ackley. (I will need to buy dies whichever route I take). It's only a Remington 700 Varmint SPS but it's silly accurate and I really like it so I would prefer not to start again.

What does the panel think

I can't see a rechamber and AI dies costing much under £250,and maybe more for new dies.

What is another 200 fps going to allow you to do substantially better than

the 'silly accurate' 223 as it is?

Is it worth the hassle,let alone the (perhaps moderate ) cost?

If there is no objective reason,by all means still go ahead,just be aware.

22/250 (AI) is the next problem....but all the above applies there too...

Gbal

I'd keep the 223 and use the cost of the rechambering and dies to go towards another rifle,

Is there really much difference in a standard. .223 and the AI, from what I know and have read ( I am a novice) I would maybe go for a .243 AI.

I'd keep the 223 and use the cost of the rechambering and dies to go towards another rifle,

Is there really much difference in a standard. .223 and the AI, from what I know and have read ( I am a novice) I would maybe go for a .243 AI.

AI does not add a lot-150 fps maybe,in most chamberings.

243 (AI or not) is in a different and ballistically superior league.

Remember though,that FLO may take the same view-so for many,for varmintng,224 cf (or smaller) has to be the choice,not a 6mm(plus).

Gbal

I don't need a 223 AI, I just fancy one... I don't need a car that goes over 70 or an amplifier that goes up to 11 either but they are fun and that's what this is about.

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out 22/250 foxer's AI and do some maths.

I don't need a 223 AI, I just fancy one... I don't need a car that goes over 70 or an amplifier that goes up to 11 either but they are fun and that's what this is about.

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out 22/250 foxer's AI and do some maths.

Well said mate, I was just the same I've had 222, 223 mates have had 22-250 I fancied something different so went for a 223 ackley, and I've had loads of fun with it. As a lamping fox gun, vermin plinking its much fun. That's why if mine doesn't sell I have no problem keeping it, it will take over the 6br in the stubble time.

pack , silly accurate ? just dont touch it , the urge to have th AI will pass ! i allways ask myself , can i afford it ? do i need it ? = YES and NO ! i have a 223 AI right now and fire forming in itself is a right kerfuffle ! i had to fire form twice to get the cases 100% formed !!! 200 primers 200 bullets ,+ powder !!!! also it realisticly only adds 100FPS ! and it wont really add that much range unless you have 1;8 or 1;9 at least ! what range do you shoot out to with your current load ? what is your load btw ? ATB ..tim..

I use 40gr nozlers I get 3960fps out a 1/12 twist border barrel, gunner I find fire forming fine as no brass is at it's real best until it as bin shot, if your having to fire form twice then I'd up the charge. plus mine shoots 40gr Norma factory ammo great for forming brass if needed.

I use 40gr nozlers I get 3960fps out a 1/12 twist border barrel, gunner I find fire forming fine as no brass is at it's real best until it as bin shot, if your having to fire form twice then I'd up the charge. plus mine shoots 40gr Norma factory ammo great for forming brass if needed.

Allright gaz , yeah that would be the easy option , but pressure signs were present on the primer so erring on the side of caution i didnt up it ! wasnt sure if the brass would take it ! was using varget primer was allready going slightly flat on first firing !

Allright gaz , yeah that would be the easy option , but pressure signs were present on the primer so erring on the side of caution i didnt up it ! wasnt sure if the brass would take it ! was using varget primer was allready going slightly flat on first firing !

Yes best play it save mate.

pack , silly accurate ? just dont touch it , the urge to have th AI will pass ! i allways ask myself , can i afford it ? do i need it ? = YES and NO ! i have a 223 AI right now and fire forming in itself is a right kerfuffle ! i had to fire form twice to get the cases 100% formed !!! 200 primers 200 bullets ,+ powder !!!! also it realisticly only adds 100FPS ! and it wont really add that much range unless you have 1;8 or 1;9 at least ! what range do you shoot out to with your current load ? what is your load btw ? ATB ..tim..

I am still gaining experience and currently only shoot up to about 300 yards, just plinking really, at Bisley plus some small land I have access to... some fox and rabbit, one day some muntjac and CWD. The desire for AI is simply that, a desire, not a need -- I love function over form and the idea of taking a .223 and Improving it really appeals to me (as it must have to Mr Ackley :) . The hassle does not particularly appeal though, so I am still weighing it all up.

My load for this rifle is:

Calibre 223 Rem
Powder Vit N133 24.5 grains
Bullet Hornady 52 A-Max
Primer CCI BR4
Brass Lapua
COAL 2.24

Get one by all means,if you fancy it and like to fiddle with fireforming etc-just don't expect much in return-100 fps.

Bear in mind PO Ackley himself was not always very enthusiastic about 'improvements',and sometimes it almost seems as if he was really saying there is no meaningful improvement...and this was at a time when available choices were limited,and wildcatters were trying many things.

The 223 fast twist barrels,better powders and bullets etc were just not so available then-and these can offer more than AI chambering,....but go ahead,just be aware...a more astute marketing man would have added 'magnum' but PO was too much of gentleman for that deception...

Gbal

"Packrat" if you have an itch.....scratch it, don't be put off by others negative comments. Do a google search on the .223 Ackley and read the comments by shooters on the various websites who actually own and shoot this calibre and make up your mind for yourself. As far as gaining only 100fps over the standard cartridge, is a bit conservative imo.

Regards.

I am still gaining experience and currently only shoot up to about 300 yards, just plinking really, at Bisley plus some small land I have access to... some fox and rabbit, one day some muntjac and CWD. The desire for AI is simply that, a desire, not a need -- I love function over form and the idea of taking a .223 and Improving it really appeals to me (as it must have to Mr Ackley :) . The hassle does not particularly appeal though, so I am still weighing it all up.

My load for this rifle is:

Calibre 223 Rem

Powder Vit N133 24.5 grains

Bullet Hornady 52 A-Max

Primer CCI BR4

Brass Lapua

COAL 2.24

Hi packrat

Are you wanting to shoot the 52 A-Max in the AI if you decide on this calibre

I'm currently running them through a .22BR i had built at 3750fps and they are extremely accurate at 300yds

Thanks again for all your inputs everyone. I've decided in the end to leave my AI itch unscratched for the moment but there's a good chance I'll revisit it at some point as I do love to tinker, that's what it's about for me... the fun of finding stuff out, investigating some new thing's limits, taking it to the 'n'th degree to see what can be done.

Anyway instead I think my limited time and money would be better served currently by keeping my 'silly accurate' 223 as it is, and replacing my Remy 6BR with a custom build.. hence I am about to place an ad in Wanted :)

An elegant solution!

Now all you need to decide is barrel twist for the 6BR(norma): really silly accurate to 500,or just very accurate and 1000 potential(on a perfect day!)

Good news-there is no AI really,as you know,though ,of course,as always,there is the......

Gbal

An elegant solution!

Now all you need to decide is barrel twist for the 6BR(norma): really silly accurate to 500,or just very accurate and 1000 potential(on a perfect day!)

Good news-there is no AI really,as you know,though ,of course,as always,there is the......

Gbal

Probably get the same twist (8), heavy varmint barrel; actually been considering selling the 223 and getting a lighter weight, longer twist 6BR instead for shorter range for fox & deer.. but that won't be for a while.

6mm BR AI.... lol

Archived