fox condition

abolter

Shot a fox on the chicken farm last night. His condition interests me. Please see photos below;
Hambleton-20130522-00516.jpg
Hambleton-20130522-00518.jpg
Hambleton-20130522-00517.jpg

Comments please

His weight seemed normal, he was quite wary. The bare patch near his hip was on both sides?

I assume foxes moult like dogs and not like deer? ie gradual coat replacement

Thanks chaps!!

It is interesting as mange would have been my assumption but I have never seen it around here, as in not ever!!!

Equally for how hard the chicken farm is hit then I can guarantee he hasnt got old round there. It is at least 6 miles from a town and over 20 from any big towns/cities. I was curious if anyone could come up with an answer that didnt suggest dumping.

im sure its sarcoptic mange-dont touch them with that use gloves!

i shot a dog last night that had it and it had a dodgy right eye that bulged out of its socket and was blue -better off dead.

im sure its sarcoptic mange-dont touch them with that use gloves!

i shot a dog last night that had it and it had a dodgy right eye that bulged out of its socket and was blue -better off dead.

Recovering from the mange

darrel they dont recover from it-not in the wild state if the arsepca get there mitts on them they treat them it would probably have a chance then,infection usually sets in and and destroys there immune system.

Does look an old boy for sure, when I've shot them with mange it alway seems that the back and tail loose the hair and scab up.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a very old fox, in poor order, possibly some teeth missing, its probably age and time of year when winter coats are away, it has lost a lot more than normal,maybe could be compared to a 90 year old man. I venever seen a fox like that.If it were a vixen then at this time of year cubs could have caused hair loss, but doubtful for a dog.rjc

+1 with crow killer.

I,v shot litrerally thousands of foxes in our area Abolter and seen "possibly" one with a case of mange.

Had a few like this myself over the years at this time of year. As you can see by his teeth he is an old boy and hair as you get older gets harder to retain espesicialy at this time of year when they are changing from winter to summer coat and feeding a vixen with a family of our little friends possibly pushing in to a tight hole, under a fence, or through the bramble bush on his nightly food run. I regulary go to a earth where cubs are and see a bramble over a hole matted with fur!

And I would tend to agree with Garyw if they get it in the wild it usually gets them in the end! Unless he has been held at the RSPCA's hospitality and been given medication to help him to recovery.

Just my thoughts.

Ro6.5

Cheers Crow and RO, you have both concluded something similar to what I thought. But I was interested in other views.

I have yet to see any confirmed mange in rural N Yorks

looks like a very old fox, in poor order, possibly some teeth missing, its probably age and time of year when winter coats are away, it has lost a lot more than normal,maybe could be compared to a 90 year old man. I venever seen a fox like that.If it were a vixen then at this time of year cubs could have caused hair loss, but doubtful for a dog.rjc

its lost its fur due to mange a fox doesnt just loose its winter fur it grows out aka -moult- as the new coat with a lighter thinner fur comes through . a vixen loose fur from her abdomen when the cubs are suckling at this time of year a vixens coat will be growing back as the cubs feed on solids more than suckling.

• 2 weeks later...

He is dead, a common occurrence when shot :lol:

i did giggle to that !

Archived