Serious overload in 7Rum

Chris-NZ

Was round at my gunsmith's place yesterday and he showed me the remains of the case he'd got out of 7 RUM.

The guy had broken the bolt handle trying to get it open and it took some hard work and ingenuity to get the bolt/case out of the chamber.

Excuse the pic quality- except for the case I was holding, they're snaps off my phone from his PC screen. Basically, the case had flowed in all directions, filling the recess near the extractor and forming a sort of belt past the bolt end. The case was really fixed to the bolt. The primer was obviously pierced and the gas had cut a massive crater on the boltface under the primer and even printed the headstamp onto the botlface.

Rum1_zps1f536c9e.jpg

Rum4_zpsc153170c.jpg

rum3_zps97f446a9.jpg

This is actually the -primer- that has flowed out!

Rum2_zps182b4a4e.jpg

He has to rebuild the boltface to get rid of the crater and upon checking, there had been no shift in headspace.

The owner was rather coy about the whole business but you'd have to suspect he had accidentally used a fast powder.

Chris-NZ

PS. the owner was obv using converted 300RUM cases in it

If that were me, I'd dump,this rifle in a very deep pond and not ever consider firing it again. No matter how much gun smithing ingenuity falls upon this POS, it will not make it trustworthy to shoot.. But then again, if I were a backwater hillbilly who thought that overloading a 7mmRUM is a good idea, I wouldn't mind having said POS "repaired"...this is a Darwin Award in the making!!

No way a .300 would fit up there and close the bolt.

Was just a major stuff-up on some other variable, prob powder type.

If it were my gun, I'd scrap it too but there's no visual or dimensional evidence that anything has yielded in the action.

There are many calibres that will wrongly chamber, 260 in my 243 for example.

that is why i stopped using lapua 243 brass for my 260 , the risk of a ghillie picking up one of my rounds and sticking it in his estate 243 was too great for me to be comfortable with? i only use 260 marked brass now.

Any news on the nut behind the butt? Imagine he at least got a face full of hot gases? Agree with others on the similar case thing, at one time I had .243, 7-08 and .308 in same safe and loading room (too much stress by far). Rebuild? no way! that bolt needs a bit more than a bit of skim up. Trigger out stock off and rest in scrap bin IMO

I disagree , 308 will chamber in 7-08 , it's possible , were only talking about half a mm ?

It def wasn't a .300RUM in the 7mm chamber.

Looked it up- outside neck dims .322 v .345, ie 0.635mm diff.

V doubtful anyway

As for the operator, no, apparently was unharmed!

It def wasn't a .300RUM in the 7mm chamber.

Looked it up- outside neck dims .322 v .345, ie 0.635mm diff.

V doubtful anyway

As for the operator, no, apparently was unharmed!

A lucky chap in some ways then

Archived