DTA SRS-A1 or potential alternatives AX, AE etc?

jungle_re

Funny how about 80% of my google searches for things i'm perusing at the moment lead me back to this forum! (sponsors take note!)

It looks like i'm in a position (that i thought i wouldn't be in for another year or so) to be able to finish off the stable and buy a range orientated tactical rifle.

I'm drawn to the SRS-A1 in .300 win mag the review here of the earlier model certainly has done nothing to put me off. The comment about the price seem a little unfair when i was comparing to a similar spec AX they seem fairly similar prices (obviously ignoring the secondhand market, something i'm not adverse to buying from).

Just after some advice on the alternatives before I make anymore enquires (I expect there is a good wait for supply as it's fairly new).

What are the options? I don't want a remy derivative action (the 7-08 is a Borden and the .22br is my old 700) and i don't want .308 as its too close to the 7-08. Pro's and cons from those who own any of the proposed rifle greatly received.

The reason I like the SRSS-A1

Long barrel but compact and centred point of balance

Calibre choice .300 win mag would prove useful for potential other disciplines but will take me to 1500 yrds

Out of the box performance

Kind regards

Will

Hi Will i have got a srs in 338 and 308 both shoot one hole if i do my bit i am also looking to by a second in the new form A1 also in 300 win mag i have emailed Ewen but add no feedback yet i looked at The aw and the ax but for my money the srs is a far better rifle hope this helps you make your mind up 300 is a great round and it puts game in the bag big time all the best Chris

I can't seem to find any real negative press at all and the tiny things picked up with the original seem to been addressed with the A1.

I wonder why they aren't more popular?

no one? Not one person thinks any of the competition is worthy of serious consideration?

• 2 months later...

I think they are not in the same league as AI rifles , BUT I would say that , as I own a few AI rifles & no DTAs yet .

Of the DTAs , I am more interested in the large bore DTAs , ie 375, 408, 50BMG model .

Have shoot the AIs , my own ones , and I have not fired the DTA , but I have at least handled the SRS model , and my opinon was , and is that they are priced too high for what they are , they have no steel action as such , and should be cheaper than they are .

I still feel , that AI is still the top of the heap , maybe thats NOT what you wanted to hear .

Later Chris

I own an AX and have shot a friends DTA .308, both are fantastic pieces of kit as you would expect. What I would say is get behind both and judge for yourself - the ergonomics are vastly different between them and one may suit better than the other. I can't fault my AX and for me personally it has everything I could want for a multi discipline precision rifle.

Ewan - its certainly something i'm keen on. I've yet to make up my mind fully on what I want to do to fill the tactical itch and have decided to wait till the few rifles i already have in production to be completed before starting a new acquisition. The DTA is high on the list though.

I've took up Ewen's offer and have been lucky to shoot with him and some of his product line on a number of occasions but sadly they're not for me. Ewan is right get behind it an get in the groove you'll know soon enough no matter the make or model

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster! Learned some good stuff on here over the last maybe two years (sorry), I thought I should respond to this post, I have a DTA SRS in 6.5x47 supplied by Ewan (great to deal with if you get past the accent, by the way) with a 26" barrel that used to shoot 130g Bergers at 2965fps into witnessed groups of 0.1" for 5 shots, and groups of 1.5" at 600yds with plenty of practice mind, I recently had the barrel shortened to 19" to make a more compact rifle and lost only 100fps suprisingly, and still shoots groups on a par with the 26" barrel. The main reason I felt I needed to post is the fact that it took me quite some time to get used to how to shoot the damn thing, I shot horrendous groups when I first got it, but learned how it likes to be shot and now have sold nearly every gun in my cabinet bar one (.22lr). I can fully understand how some one having a quick play with one would think it wasn't for them but if you stick with it,learn how it likes to be shot, I can assure you it will amaze you with its ability, 35" long, all up weight including Third Eye Tactical mod, Third Eye Tactical 30 MOA Unimount with a March 2.5-25x42 scope is excactly 15lb, no light weight I grant you, but very well balanced in he shoulder. sorry to make my first post a rather long one, but hope it helps the OP,

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi Gandy, the most problematic, but easily curable shooting technique I found was the length of pull/eye relief, what I mean is when I first used the rifle, I had a 16" plus length of pull when I had the correct eye relief (I'm only 5'8") which meant from prone, I had my right arm too far stretched, I did alter this by putting the scope further along the picatinny rail, much further than I have seen in other pictures, but now my length of pull is 15", It does seem to me to shoot better from a "cramped" or tight shooting style, hope you know what I mean, also the trigger did have a bit of creep due to the bullpup sliding bar mechanism, but a little work by myself and it breaks as cleanly as you could wish. I think the small problems are common on all bullpups, especially the trigger, but a better rifle I could not wish for.

That sounds a good idea to me Mark. Looking forward to it.

I am pleased you have joined the Forum.

You should go up to Diggle with your DTA mate. You would raise a few Eyebrows.

Nick.

Archived