Steyr AUG not bad at all

maxxis35

Finally got to shoot this little rifle at my club the Bog yesterday, after all what I've read about the trigger I was expecting it to be awful, for some reason I didn't feel it was as bad as I have read, they are a little hard to cock but I found it easier to do this by using the palm up method with my two little fingers.A mod to get the QR barrel back and a charging handle that is more horizontal will make this a great little gun, looking forward to trying it out at CSR after this is ironed out.

Finally got to shoot this little rifle at my club the Bog yesterday, after all what I've read about the trigger I was expecting it to be awful, for some reason I didn't feel it was as bad as I have read, they are a little hard to cock but I found it easier to do this by using the palm up method with my two little fingers.A mod to get the QR barrel back and a charging handle that is more horizontal will make this a great little gun, looking forward to trying it out at CSR after this is ironed out.

Looking forward to seeing you at one of our CSR matches :)

Cheers Bradders from what I have seen on youtube it looks great fun, an ex army member of my archery clubs helps run these shoots at Bisley I believe, he shoots an AI topped off with a Schmidt, ever since we had a chat about it I have been chomping at the bit to have a go, just wish they where run all year at Bisley, Diggle does them all year don't they.

Cheers Bradders from what I have seen on youtube it looks great fun, an ex army member of my archery clubs helps run these shoots at Bisley I believe, he shoots an AI topped off with a Schmidt, ever since we had a chat about it I have been chomping at the bit to have a go, just wish they where run all year at Bisley, Diggle does them all year don't they.

Ah yes Martin C, the man to beat.....................or at the very least try and beat! :ph34r:

We have plenty of Practical Rifle shoots at Diggle - see calendar on website at www.diggleranges.com

Glad you like it-the trigger is pretty awful,but can be considerably improved with a trigger tamer,or other after market replacement,maybe even working on the plastic-get skilled help here,it can be dangerously over lightened,I believe.A replacement cocking handle too helps-there is nor that actually slopes down a little too.

I find mine a bit fussy with used brass-both military and Federal,but to be fair,Fed was not fired in it.Wolf works great

,but is rather modest in performance,maybe 2/3 moa,but good enough for electronic military targets (?36x18 inches at 500yards at least.)

Fitting a bipod isn't easy,though there is a US adaptor but over £100.Moderator makes it a real pussy cat to shoot,as it is quite heavy

already.

Cocking handle does ease up a bit-pull vigorously-from it's mini bull worker state,again I imagine it could be lightened.Mainly the issue is that all the development work that went into civilianising the AR 15 to a whole new beast hasn't and probably won't be done- or overdone!

Shoots just fine.I' d be interested to hear how yours performs in due course

Gbal

Hi G bal I got just a little over 2inch and some just under that with Remington UMC ammo, only £7.75 a box. Will run mine on Varget as its great at all temperatures so it won't suffer any hard extraction.With a little effort I think it will do the business.

They are run all year at Bisley, well, 9 months out of 12.

Our season starts in Oct and runs until Apr, then we have the NRA Imperial Civ SR champs from 26-30 June.

That's 5 days of PR and CSR, what more could you want?

The only months we don't shoot are May, August and Sept.

That's mainly because the ranges are used for other stuff and are very busy, but we have the RBL Sharpshooting comp in August and piggyback a CSR/PR comp off that to make a weekend of it.

The guy with the AW is Martin C

They are run all year at Bisley, well, 9 months out of 12.

Our season starts in Oct and runs until Apr, then we have the NRA Imperial Civ SR champs from 26-30 June.

That's 5 days of PR and CSR, what more could you want?

The only months we don't shoot are May, July and Sept.

That's mainly because the ranges are used for other stuff and are very busy, but we have the RBL Sharpshooting comp in August and piggyback a CSR/PR comp off that to make a weekend of it.

The guy with the AW is Martin C

We have plenty of Practical Rifle shoots at Diggle - see calendar on website at www.diggleranges.com

Ours are better though muttley.gif

Hi G bal I got just a little over 2inch and some just under that with Remington UMC ammo, only £7.75 a box. Will run mine on Varget as its great at all temperatures so it won't suffer any hard extraction.With a little effort I think it will do the business.

Sounds good- needless to say,there won't be much ammo around anyhow,but 2 moa is pretty good at that price.I load down a little of course,as the powder tables are for semi auto or bolt actions,and likewise Us data is for semi auto where hard extraction is not an issue.Not too worried about temp changes yet,but maybe we will get into the sixties.I suspect some of my teething problems were from RG brass,far more than powder etc,as Bradders says.I hope it runs just fine for you,and you have some Varget,though substitutes may appear,sometime.I haven't gone above 69 g bullets,but the 77Smk is popular with serious 223 users of this type of rifle.

Gbal

Didn't think a 77 grain load would stabilise in a 1 in 9 tube or so I've been told.

Sorry,my fault- I rather meant st pulls especially AR 15s,probably with 1in 8. -which is why I haven't tried the 77g,though it might just work,but probably over the limit- if the Aug is a true one in nine.But thanks for the clear point-I don't know if anyone has tried the 77g in the Aug with a one in nine,or even if there are one in eight possibilities,perhaps in US,or Barnsley?

Gbal

Do you use a pull through to clean yours, I was thinking of getting the button refitted to give me back the quick release barrel as original, but its £100 for that, I use an otis and a boresnake pull through.

Do you use a pull through to clean yours, I was thinking of getting the button refitted to give me back the quick release barrel as original, but its £100 for that, I use an otis and a boresnake pull through.

I use the Otis plastic covered wire pull through.It

is a fiddle but at least can be done from the chamber end. I imagine the £100 will seem well spent after a lot of cleaning sessions,as I suspect they don' t get really cleaned,as with proper copper removal and so on.,but of course at each time it seems a lot of extra expense.Be worth it if there were other barrels available to switch- like a heavy one in eight!

Likewise the bipod options are £100 plus for the adaptors,I think,essentially replacing the front swing down support,which seems a lot too.But I can't see much after market stuff being available not that I want bells and whistles !

Who does the barrel button?

Gbal

Archived