Over pressure!

shooter79

Evening lads

Father n law had major over pressures tonight with primer falling out! The primer pocket is too large to fit any other primers so will bin the case.

Can any one help out with Quickload and help me paint a picture of where this load stands with max pressure?

Details of load = 43 grains of n150 in new Lapua brass cases. Bullet is a 95 grain Hornady SST seated as per the book 2.630. The bushing was a .270 in a Redding die. Rifle was a Tikka T3 stainles lite (20 inch I think), .243 calibre.

Would really like to know how close to the ceiling he was or if he was over! Can someone email me some print outs / screen shots when they have time please? Would like to know how much powder is burnt up at max pressure as well?

The web seems to of grown by 5 thousands with major more than normal carbon in primer pocket!

Regards

Carl

Thanks JCS , need to get some data from Quickload? Do you have it?

Why would you need Quick Load? Reloading existed before Quick Load. Try the VV web site for loads and don't run more powder than is recommended. You are running so far over max load it's ridiculous.

No offense, but you need some serious study on reloading, not Quick Load Data, before you carry on.

JMHO, of course.~Andrew

Cartridge : .243 Win.

Bullet : .243, 95, Hornady SST InterLock 24532

Useable Case Capaci: 47.948 grain H2O = 3.113 cm³

Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.630 inch = 66.80 mm

Barrel Length : 26.0 inch = 660.4 mm

Powder : Vihtavuori N150

-08.0 95 39.55 3004 1903 56454 8116 100.0 1.242 ! Near Maximum !

-06.0 97 40.41 3055 1968 60179 8198 100.0 1.208 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

-04.0 99 41.27 3105 2034 64143 8277 100.0 1.176 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

-02.0 101 42.13 3155 2100 68363 8354 100.0 1.145 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

+00.0 103 42.99 3204 2166 72859 8428 100.0 1.115 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

+02.0 105 43.85 3253 2233 77654 8500 100.0 1.086 !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Thanks Elwood. Really thought about postings this on here because of comments of a few! Constructed advice is what I'm after not comments saying I need some serious reloading study! Rifle is undamaged along with the shooter! I'm sure others have pushed their loads to the limits. Don't think I will be sharing my experiences on here again !

And yes Andrew I was aiming that at you !

Thanks Elwood. Really thought about postings this on here because of comments of a few! Constructed advice is what I'm after not comments saying I need some serious reloading study! Rifle is undamaged along with the shooter! I'm sure others have pushed their loads to the limits. Don't think I will be sharing my experiences on here again !

And yes Andrew I was aiming that at you !

don't worrry about the comments of a few !

we have all made mistakes and anyone who says any different is a liar , i for one am pleased you posted here , it was a timely reminder to check and double check when reloading.

I remember doing similar to you once (before trial by forum!) no harm was done but i did get the micky taken a little and it was a real fag pulling 49 assembled rounds

atb

R

don't worrry about the comments of a few !

we have all made mistakes and anyone who says any different is a liar , i for one am pleased you posted here , it was a timely reminder to check and double check when reloading.

I remember doing similar to you once (before trial by forum!) no harm was done but i did get the micky taken a little and it was a real fag pulling 49 assembled rounds

atb

R

Cheers mate, Only loaded 10 so won't be a great drama, will pull them today. The VV site is so broadbrush, just managed to get Quickload up and running to understand the physics involved here. Kind of trusted the father n law with his research but next time i will look into his methods a bit more! Looks llike we were 10,000 PSI over the 60,000 recormended by SAMMI, got to give it to Lapua (quality brass).

Regards

Carl

Cheers mate, Only loaded 10 so won't be a great drama, will pull them today. The VV site is so broadbrush, just managed to get Quickload up and running to understand the physics involved here. Kind of trusted the father n law with his research but next time i will look into his methods a bit more! Looks llike we were 10,000 PSI over the 60,000 recormended by SAMMI, got to give it to Lapua (quality brass).

Regards

Carl

Well done Carl.

For a few posts it looked like the pressure was mounting again !. :) Check and check-belt and braces-and check again,especially with a new cartridge combination/powder.You may be about right with the pressures-way into the red.Ultimately every rifle will go-and that affects others.Good luck with the within case physics-but keeping within the powder manufacture's recomendations is the priority.Do not trust anyone else's figures,without checking them,twice,especially if they "converted grams to grains,but I can't do it with those little decimal numbers after the dot"!! :o

george

Carl big mistakes happen when people are afraid to ask questions, you did the right thing.
I couldn't agree more. Stopped a novice mate using some suspect loads last night. 223 rem 26.5 grn of BL C2 - now I aint that used to .223 but when he said he wasn't getting a pretty darn case full of powder the bells rang to errors. Yes I use loads over book, I think many of us do and it also depends on which book- Tis good to get more than one take on a potential load before you try and work it up IMO. Check, re-check and check just once more.

better to ask for the answer on here than ask how near is the local hospital,you did the right thing ignore those who slate you.

That is one big presumption that you would be able to ask?

I think lucky sums up this situation!

In my scrap bin is a .223 browning x-bolt. Lost my eyebrows, nearly lost my sight in one eye and have permanent tinnitus, I didn't double check a load.

The only reason I'm not blind is because it was such a bright day, I actually wore my shooting glasses, they ended up with half the extractor embedded in the lens.

Do I get the pi55 taken ? Damn right.

Do I double check loads before making up ? Yep, never be afraid of a bit of rib tickling for asking.

He who asks is a fool for a few minutes, he who doesn't, is a fool for ever.

Regards

Pete

If you've ever had a rifle let go on you ( and I have through no fault of my own) then you'd probably be a bit more paranoid about checking load data. I've found that some loads on various forums can be well over book data. personally I start at minimum and work up 1% at a time to about 1 grain under max. I will say that VV can be hard work to find loads for .243 as not many bullets are listed. 75's not on the list only one 95 on VV load data. All that said its all to easy to make a mistake. And the fact that your big enough to hold your hand up and ask for help could stop someone else doing the same.

Thats what I like about you lot...

A bit of pi55-taking to tease, a lot of advice and the offer of help if wanted.

It's sometimes a bit hard Carl, but the guys mean the best. Keep posting.

Peter

I stopped a lad new to reloading not long back he was putting 10gn of varget over max load under a 100gn .243 i hate to think what could have happened if he had"t been so chuffed with his loads and told me what was in them. There is alot of people on theses forms who are very kind and will help anyone but like has been said in posts above if in dought give the forum a shout.

pc1

Archived