New rabbit calibre

Looking for a bit of advice from you knowledgable chaps on this forum. I've just picked up some new rabbit permission ( golf course ) and have a few that need knocking over. At present have a 223 that I haven't had too long having swapped it for a 17 hmr . Question is will the 223 be ok for the job or go back to 17hmr or maybe a 17 or 20 cal centre fire ??

Atb Steve

Looking for a bit of advice from you knowledgable chaps on this forum. I've just picked up some new rabbit permission ( golf course ) and have a few that need knocking over. At present have a 223 that I haven't had too long having swapped it for a 17 hmr . Question is will the 223 be ok for the job or go back to 17hmr or maybe a 17 or 20 cal centre fire ??

Atb Steve

22LR with subs if there is any amount, especially at night on lamp or NV when most Golf courses can be done. Those Golfers have a habit of getting up early!. Ricochets or backstops are often an issue if so consider an FAC .22 PCP air rifle. if that's the case .22 hornet is a great Bunny gun as should be a .17 hornet in theory though I haven't used one of those personally

would nt think you would keep your new shoot for long if you started blowing great holes in the green with a 223 ,me personally i would nt be keen on using a 22lr on a golf couse unless at night .a good air rifle will do the job well if you play sneeky and you could sell the rabbits after

Having done a fair amount of golf course bunnies, we shied rapidly away from rimfires. They are simply too powerful for golf courses [most of them anyway] The riccochet factor in 22lr is horrendous on greens that are as flat as a witches tit, and twice as dangerous in the wet.

We found the answer. A rapid 7 mk1 in .22 calibre doing around 25 ft/lbs. I could regularly head shoot bunnies at 80 yards with it, safely.

FAC air is the way to go too manny ziggers with the .22lr .I had a .25 Rapid .A 22 I rebarreled and tweeked it ran at 47 tflb .appart from being very air thirsty " non regged " i got 20 ish good shots It was great .Run that with night vision and you have a real bunny basher .

Mick

FAC air is the way to go too manny ziggers with the .22lr .I had a .25 Rapid .A 22 I rebarreled and tweeked it ran at 47 tflb .appart from being very air thirsty " non regged " i got 20 ish good shots It was great .Run that with night vision and you have a real bunny basher .

Mick

Roger all the advice re cf's-even 22 subs-way too powerful,and noisy.Discretion matters-even with permission.FAC rated air rifle,very adequate and very much safer.Be aware,too,as I recall,other sports can be ongoing on golf courses at night.

g

if you have an fac air rifle they are great tools but dont discount sub 12 flb ,many a rabbit has bit the dust using these ,always prefered 177 for rabbits i have both and same as any pellet/bullet rabbit/fox ect put in the right place and their going down

managed some rabbiting for years round buildings and large expanses of open ground with my trusty and deadly .177 Falcon FN19. As has been said a off ticket or on ticket air rifle is probably best. My GD is offering headshot and paunched rabbits at £2 each. Shame some scuz bucket nicked the land off me....

Archived