ferral goats..

lancslad

gents n ladies.

anyone shooting feral goats? I've been stalking roe for the last three years but have lost our land and lease not being renewed thanks to Eon doing a massive windfarm on the estate.

not too happy as I missed most of the season after havi.ng major knee surgery... my last outing is next week.

so I fancy bit of goat shooting to make this year's quarry and keep my freezer stocked.

anyone got any contacts for ferals.....

gents n ladies.

anyone shooting feral goats? I've been stalking roe for the last three years but have lost our land and lease not being renewed thanks to Eon doing a massive windfarm on the estate.

not too happy as I missed most of the season after havi.ng major knee surgery... my last outing is next week.

so I fancy bit of goat shooting to make this year's quarry and keep my freezer stocked.

anyone got any contacts for ferals.....

You could try Solway stalker http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/45684-Another-box-ticked?highlight=solway+stalker+goats

He seems to have a very good rep on the stalking directory.

another case of countryside slowly being destroyed

i know a guy in dumfries i go stalking with ive been on goats a few times good fun

Maybe-I wonder if it's all these new fangled electrical deep freezers.We didn't need wind turbines when we just kept the venison in the ice room.

Last one out,switch off the lights!

g

Is it really hard to stalk into and shoot a feral goat? never done it, wouldn't care to either I think they are horrible stinky things and the one Goat leg I tried to eat was fit only for the dogs (though I know some like them) they must curry the taste away or something?

Is it really hard to stalk into and shoot a feral goat? never done it, wouldn't care to either I think they are horrible stinky things and the one Goat leg I tried to eat was fit only for the dogs (though I know some like them) they must curry the taste away or something?

Maybe there was fox meat in the goat kebab food chain?

The cheese is worth trying,if you've grown a bit blase about 50 shades of cheddar,that isn't.

US mountain goat hunting is generally for the fit only.It will be a bit easier going over here.

g

Maybe-I wonder if it's all these new fangled electrical deep freezers.We didn't need wind turbines when we just kept the venison in the ice room.

Last one out,switch off the lights!

g

cant remember but i recall reading somwere that the output wind turbines give was miniscule and not really worth the effort. i may be wrong and in that case ill wind my neck in.

as said above the guy i go with is solway stalker great guy he also does boar reds and roe i can pm you his number

cant remember but i recall reading somwere that the output wind turbines give was miniscule and not really worth the effort. i may be wrong and in that case ill wind my neck in.

as said above the guy i go with is solway stalker great guy he also does boar reds and roe i can pm you his number

At best they are carbon neutral , the metal production, machining etc. then a dirty great lump of CO2 nightmare concrete! add to that they barely payback the cost in electricity produced before they need de-commissioning. All they do is meet renewables targets for those in power and annoy the locals and wildlife

At best they are carbon neutral , the metal production, machining etc. then a dirty great lump of CO2 nightmare concrete! add to that they barely payback the cost in electricity produced before they need de-commissioning. All they do is meet renewables targets for those in power and annoy the locals and wildlife

You may be right about the locals.How do we know what the fauna think of them?

g

You may be right about the locals.How do we know what the fauna think of them?

g

Because there have been losses both to the turning blades and to the habitat. You don't carry these things up the hill with a shovel in the other hand you know. It takes dirty great big machines etc. and tends to be done in the better weather - breeding and fledging time. The ground damage alone takes time to heal

Because there have been losses both to the turning blades and to the habitat. You don't carry these things up the hill with a shovel in the other hand you know. It takes dirty great big machines etc. and tends to be done in the better weather - breeding and fledging time. The ground damage alone takes time to heal

Of course. A professor friend of mine who knew about these energy issues,some years ago took the opportunity to fill his freezer and used to serve his special "Lamb Chernoble" to selected guests. One of the few nearly free lunches around.

g

Our two cats live largely on a diet of feral goats- hundreds round here. Dunno about their UK cousins but basic stalking skills will get you in there, about the same as reds.

As for taste/edibility, avoid bucks especially anything fully grown as they stink alright. I just shoot the nannies and occasionally younger bucks. My main hunting buddy rates them for curries though I can't be bothered.

A funny little story- I'd been out shooting for the afternoon and I got home just in time to go out for pot luck dinner. When I asked my wife what dish she was taking along, she said a lamb casserole. "I used that cubed lamb you had in the freezer". I advised her there was no lamb in there, just goat. I tasted the dish and it was fine, no hint of "goat" and as I knew it was cleanly butchered, there'd be nothing wrong with it. Took it along, never said a word and it was well received :lol:

Chris-NZ

Our two cats live largely on a diet of feral goats- hundreds round here. Dunno about their UK cousins but basic stalking skills will get you in there, about the same as reds.

As for taste/edibility, avoid bucks especially anything fully grown as they stink alright. I just shoot the nannies and occasionally younger bucks. My main hunting buddy rates them for curries though I can't be bothered. Like other game meat, it is very lean so will end up like leather if cooked badly.

A funny little story- I'd been out shooting for the afternoon and I got home just in time to go out for pot luck dinner. When I asked my wife what dish she was taking along, she said a lamb casserole. "I used that cubed lamb you had in the freezer". I advised her there was no lamb in there, just goat. I tasted the dish and it was fine, no hint of "goat" and as I knew it was cleanly butchered, there'd be nothing wrong with it. Took it along, never said a word and it was well received :lol:

Chris-NZ

As for taste/edibility, avoid bucks especially anything fully grown as they stink alright. I just shoot the nannies and occasionally younger bucks. My main hunting buddy rates them for curries though I can't be bothered. Like other game meat, it is very lean so will end up like leather if cooked badly.

Chris-NZ

Seems to be repeating on you now,though,Chris!

We've just had a minor fuss in the UK when people discovered their beef products had some horsemeat in them.More about honest labelling than disgust,to be fair. Wait till they find out just which bits of the beef beast are legitimately included.Humans are strange creatures. One girlfriend didn't like creepy crawlies,but one of her favourite starters was scampy. Best to let those sleeping dogs lie,as in your tale.

Bon apetit

george

Chris-NZ

Seems to be repeating on you now,though,Chris!

We've just had a minor fuss in the UK when people discovered their beef products had some horsemeat in them.More about honest labelling than disgust,to be fair. Wait till they find out just which bits of the beef beast are legitimately included.Humans are strange creatures. One girlfriend didn't like creepy crawlies,but one of her favourite starters was scampy. Best to let those sleeping dogs lie,as in your tale.

Bon apetit

george

LIkewise George :lol:

Obv some gremlin in there..

Deliberate mistake,Chris-well spotted.

We don't have these 'gremlins' over here-must have been shot out. What do they taste like ? :P:D

So that's a vote for open cast mines or nuclear,...or candles-which are very hard on moths.

eco-g

Does shooting Goats put you in breach of the conditions on your FAC? I only ask as Boar seems to get FLO's bent out of shape depending on where you live??

i had my conditions changed to AOLQ to cover goat took a week to get this sorted by our firearms dept.

• 1 month later...

New to this Forum but could not help myself when I saw the Feral Goats Title.

Spent a wee bit of time nailing the Feral population in the Nth of NZ.

Rifle is Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 .223 with Nikon Monarch6-24X50 BDC using Federal American Eagle 50Gr Tipped ammo (3350fps).

This Guy was taken through the Shoulder at 242yd and he just did not move.

I reckon Goats are a great way to learn about stalking and shot placement, they happen to be a major pest in NZ and are plentiful in the area I shot this one.

As is so often the case, I am now after "More Range" so it's up to the 22-250 and Sightron SIII we go...

Been enjoying this site and hope to get out for a spot of Varminting in the UK this summer.

Goats016.jpg

Archived