Rifle calibre for Chamois hunting

Charentebob

I've been offered the opportunity to hunt Chamois in the French Alps in September 2013. Currently I have a Tikka M695 in 764 calibre. I believe the locals use 6 or 6.5mm rifles as there is less bullet drop over the long distances they shoot. My current ammunition has a 50 cms drop over 300 metres. Frequently the distances are between 200 & 300 metres. Chamois are extremely wary & it's very difficult to get closer.

I'd also need a suitable scope. Light conditions are normally good as this is not dawn or dusk shooting. It would be nice if I could have a scope that would also be suitable for stalking deer & wild boar in woodland. Guess it would be difficult to get find something suitable for both purposes. Some hunters go for lighter weight scopes for mountain hunting as the stalk can take all day & they don't want too much weight to lug around.

I use an Aimpoint red-dot on my Tikka for driven game in France as the distances are usually 25 to 75 metres. The red-dot is not suitable for Chamois hunting though. All suggestions welcome as I'm a newcomer to rifle hunting.

If you are confident with your current rifle stick with it, as for scopes check out the Swarovski Z5 with ballistic turret. They are light to carry, the glass is superb and the 3.5-18 magnification will cover woodland right up to however far you want to shoot. Properly set up the 300m shots will be simple with the ballistic turret too.

Good luck with the Chamois,

Mike

The difference in trajectory at 300m between your 7mm and the 6 or 6.5s is not going to be enough to warrant a change of caliber.

You could load some 120 Nosler BT at approx 3100fps, and zero you rifle 1.5-2.5 inches high at 100yds. This will give you a MPBR that will allow point and shoot out to 300yds.

When you come across the chamois, you most likely wont have long to listen to the guides instructions on which beast to take, and you may not have time to be fumbling with turrets etc.

I've been offered the opportunity to hunt Chamois in the French Alps in September 2013. Currently I have a Tikka M695 in 764 calibre. I believe the locals use 6 or 6.5mm rifles as there is less bullet drop over the long distances they shoot. My current ammunition has a 50 cms drop over 300 metres. Frequently the distances are between 200 & 300 metres. Chamois are extremely wary & it's very difficult to get closer.

I'd also need a suitable scope. Light conditions are normally good as this is not dawn or dusk shooting. It would be nice if I could have a scope that would also be suitable for stalking deer & wild boar in woodland. Guess it would be difficult to get find something suitable for both purposes. Some hunters go for lighter weight scopes for mountain hunting as the stalk can take all day & they don't want too much weight to lug around.

I use an Aimpoint red-dot on my Tikka for driven game in France as the distances are usually 25 to 75 metres. The red-dot is not suitable for Chamois hunting though. All suggestions welcome as I'm a newcomer to rifle hunting.

Rifle you know every time for a one off visit,given it is appropriate,which it is.It's on a very near par with eg 270,280rem -very fine american long range sheep rifles.You may not want to handload for one trip-the Norma 140 nosler accubond,just for example,zeroed at 200 will be 7 inches low at 300 (which is right there with eg 260rem,264 win mag,6.5 swede and better than the older classic 6.5 mannlicher).

Should do nicely.

george

Dont know if it is still the case but dont the french have some strange laws regarding 'military' cartridges. 6.5x55, 7.62 etc. Be worth checking beforehand anyway.

The french are not allowed military calibres , check before you go.

I have it on very good authority that the law on this is due to be changed this year with only 2 or 3 calibres remaining on the restricted list, one of which I know is 223 but I don't know the others.

No sound mods allowed either. If you are new to rifle shooting as you state it may pay to check the effect of gradient on bullet drop for your rifle as its likely you will face shots at steep angles if hunting in the Alps.

6.5x68 is a classic Chamoix calibre.

Id opt for accuracy over power every time, personally look at 260 or 6.5x47, they require no more killing than any other "goat or deer" with well placed shots.

Drop is unimportant, you will not be taking snap shots, learn your come ups and have a suitable scope which you can dial in, i'd also consider using an ACI as you may be faced with steep incline shots.

A wonderful opportunity I think.

• 4 weeks later...

You are in for a truly awesome experience, its damn hard work but is worth the effort!

I was lucky enough to hunt the chamois along side the tahr whilst in the southern alps in new zealand! They were by far the hardest animals i stalked over there, the terrain in which they live can be truly extreme!

From my experience, just stick with the calibre you know, I was just using my .308 and i had no problems. I did meet alot of hunters over there, and most opted for the .270, but i met guys using anything from the 22-250 right through to 300wsm's!

I even met 2 guys using a .338LM and .50BMG, but there was no stalking involved there lol

atb J

I use a 7x64 and berger 168 Vlds for chamois hunting, I used a PM2 in scope in the Alps afterwards my guide said it was illegal to use a scope with anything othr than a straight forward duplex reticle for hunting. He said a lot of french hunters use ballistic reticles but either don't know the laws or don't care he said it was not such a big problem for a french citizen but could be a big problem for a foreign visitor. I am heading to the pyrenees this autumn and will take a zeiss conquest with target turrets and a normal duplex reticle.

As has been said, they're not hard to kill, just gotta put one on the money. Anything from .243 up is OK but thar deserve a bit bigger as they're tough.

The Z5 3.5-18 mentioned is sure a nice scope. My one has had the zero stop single-turn mods done to the turret- only 13.25 MOA available but that's plenty and you just can't get lost. Wind her back and it's always zero, don't even have to look.

Have fun

Chris-NZ

What is there reasons for the law against anything but a duplex reticle??

Haven't got a clue, nobody mentioned anything when I was there, the owner of the company later emailed me about the reticle when forwarding on some pics, for all I know he might be wrong, but to avoid hassle I will take the conquest.

Archived