march scope

pork chop

hi all thinking about getting a march 2.5-25-42 for foxing /varminting.any body got one seen one in the flesh,going to have a good look at the show maybe pick one up but would like some info off some of you boy and not sales hype cheers

I've had one, the illuminated MTR2.

Build quality is superb, very positive clicks, excellent and simple to use zero-Stop. parallax is very precise.

multi-stage Illumination is very good, although there was an issue with it which Gary Costello sorted out straight away.

Image is crystal clear, and the magnification range is astounding for such a compact little scope.

The tracking is excellent, and each click truly is 1/4moa.

Only bad points are that although it comes with two sets of scope covers (one plastic one leather) neither are particularly useful for field conditions. The plastic ones come of very easily, and the leather ones are just bit too fancy.

If you are using this for live quarry, i would suggest that only the illuminated version is suitable, as the reticle is very fine (which i love) but it can be difficult to see in certain lighting conditions.

Finally is the light gathering, being a 42mm objective this scope will never hold its own against the larger objective european scopes, but it is still very usable. Just don't expect to be able to resolve targets in low light as late into the evening.

All in all it is one hell of a scope, and for a compact package i don't think there is much out there to beat it. I was hoping to see the 52mm version announced at Shot, but alas, it doesn't seem to have materialised yet.

hi all thinking about getting a march 2.5-25-42 for foxing /varminting.any body got one seen one in the flesh,going to have a good look at the show maybe pick one up but would like some info off some of you boy and not sales hype cheers

Hi Pork Chop, I own 2 March scopes but not the one you fancy and have been very pleased, for all the reasons given.

Easy to use,light weight, great optics,positive clicks with spot on reliability.

I have to agree about the scope caps though, saying that at least they put them in and they're better quality than most.

Any way though it's easy enough to fit some Butler Creeks

I think the scope you have selected with an illuminated ret is probably the best choice for a foxing scope.

What I would say is at the show come to the stand and have a look and make your own mind up.

Cheers

Dave

I use the exact scope you are interested in on my stalking rifle and I would pretty much echo Danpd's comments.

I bought it because it is one hell of scope packed into a small, compact and especially light package, I don't think the field of view or glass quality is quite up there with the very top European scopes but nothing else has a mag range from 2.5 to 25, good turrets that track really well etc and I guess you can't have eveything in one scope some comprimises have to happen somewhere. I left the nice looking but functionally useless scope covers in the box and fitted Butler Creeks.

In low light I would say it's not quite up there with the best of the big objective scopes but the difference is not that great.

My scope has an MTR-1 reticle which is very fine and does need illumination to be really usable for hunting.

Overall I am very pleased with it and would buy more if they wern't so bloody expensive.

just read the price list properly and the scope is a bit more than i first thought,how important do you boys think the illuminated model is .im using a nightforce with the np 2dd and dont find i use the illumination very often at all,on the leupold mk4 i just sold i never used that at all .thanks to every body for your help i know youll help me make the right choice

I use the 5-50x56 and i think it is a really great scope. For me it is the absolute do it all scope in their range from really low light stalking to shooting targets a long way away. I have found the illumination essential (and a joy to use) especially with the MTR-1 reticle in low light and under the lamp.

• 3 weeks later...

looked at the march line off rifle scopes at the show.. only.drawback that we noticed is a rather narrow eye box. The scope's we looked at seemed to black out rather quickly if your eye was misaligned with the optical axis+a fast focus eyebell would help other than that crystal clear optics looks well made..but loads a wonga

Wish the big names could make a few fixed mag scopes with all the knobs say in 12x , 15x ,20x and 56 objectives just for us day/evening varmint hunters.Clarity is key not high mag and a fixed scope would pass on more light too without all those extra internals,,,,should be cheaper too!!

I use a 3-24 metric on my 260rem stalking rifle and it's just about perfect !

the only issue could be the 42 obj , it doesn't have the performance of more dedicated light gatherers , having said that i have never felt under scoped?

looked at the march line off rifle scopes at the show.. only.drawback that we noticed is a rather narrow eye box. The scope's we looked at seemed to black out rather quickly if your eye was misaligned with the optical axis+a fast focus eyebell would help other than that crystal clear optics looks well made..but loads a wonga

Possibly because it was on a medium or high magnification setting.

The narrow eyebox is not necessarily a bad thing, at least it lets you know when your eye is not aligned properly? I have the 2.5-25x42 and it's never posed a problem on it and that includes multi positional field shooting, ie deer stalking.

Mike

I found no issue with the 2.5-25 or the 5-40

I have to say, I agree. I don't recognise the eye relief 'problem' that's being mentioned at all. I'd actually go further the opposite way and actually say that one of the things that attracted me to the March 5-40 over the Schmidt 5-25 was the enormous improvement in that respect. - So I'm left a bit bemused :unsure::)

I have to say, I agree. I don't recognise the eye relief 'problem' that's being mentioned at all. I'd actually go further the opposite way and actually say that one of the things that attracted me to the March 5-40 over the Schmidt 5-25 was the enormous improvement in that respect. - So I'm left a bit bemused :unsure::)

It seems Matt,that not only is beauty in the eye of the beholder,but functionality too.

Some ,I hear, just can't get on with the March,as the price brings tears to their eyes.

george tasco

Gents,

It all comes down to what you want from a scope (or anything) really. If you do not like brand 'X' for whatever reason simply don't buy it. If your eyes cannot get on with a particular scope then accept someone elses can.

As has already been said, most things are a compromise.

Bringing price in as a sole criteria when you are looking at scopes and the rifles that go under them at this level seems a bit of a limited view IMHO. If this was the case no one would ever use a 7mmWSM or a 6.5x47 in preference to a 308 as the barrel life of the former two was less = more expensive therefore not to be considered.. You make your choice on your percieved desired performance.

Trying to be objective (no pun) is always difficult as, in admitting that the item you've purchased might not be the best thing since dliced bread, brings out the defensive, which is only natural.

I've a couple of March's, are they the best in the World, no, doubt it, but they do exactly what I need them to very well (and I have confidence in the UK distributor who actually shoots :) )

Terry

Archived