RCBS Rockchucker versus Redding Big Boss

eldon

As the title says, can somebody give me an opinion of the merits for and against these two?

Price wise they seem about the same.

Guest northernchris

I have had the Big Boss for the last few years,cant fault it.Before that i had an RCBS press i cant remember which 1 it was but i had it for 14-15 years and it was fine.

If RCBS & REDDING make their presses to same standards as their dies i would probebly go the Redding route.

Just my opinion :lol:

Chris

They are very much the same, I have both.

But the redding is longer in the gap and thicker in the frame particularly the top part where the die screws in. This gives me problems with the small cals like 17rem and 222 etc as the die doesnt protrude through enough for proper bullet seating or resizing.

I have always used the rockchucker for resizing, decapping etc and the redding for bullet seating and expanding for neck turning.

Having all my dies set up for the rockchucker I am reluctant to spend a couple of nights pratting around changing everything round, so am going to buy another rockchucker press instead.

The redding comes into its own with the longer cals like 300wm etc as it gives easier access for these longer cases, but for ordinary cals I would stick with the rockchucker or the Hornady lock n load classic which is equivalent. I can recommend the locknload system ( a type of bayonet lock system) it is accurate and very quick to use, plus your not wearing the threads out in your press bush and the dies.

Redfox

Cheers Guys.

Northern chris I thought the same as you but as Redfox has pointed out there is a difference.

I also have a 222 so it looks like the Rockchucker fits best................... as I don't have a 300wm or 338 ..............yet :lol:

While Rockchucker is good (I have one) I get better concentricity with same dies and same cases from my Dillon RL550B ~ go figure.

Maybe it because of the "floating" die holder plate in the Dillon....?

I have had a Rockchucker for about 15 years - works well and more recently a Hornady 50bmg press for 338 lapua as the Rockchucker is too small with Redding comp seating die and 250 grain scenars.

If I had a choice - from what I`ve read I would like a Forster Co-Ax, seems a better idea in a few respects - more leaverage, dies self align, no shell holders. The newer version has a longer stirup so the Redding comp dies work aparently. But you didn`t about one of them.

David.

Chris

I am getting sub .002" runout on neck turned cases with the Dillon and .003 to .009" runout with the sme dies / cases with the Rockchucker, which leads me to thing there is an (albeit slight) alignment issue with my press.

David

will the Co Ax handle 338 LM and 250 / 300 g bullets?

I err, may need another, larger press pretty soon :lol:

I found a good fix for the rockchcker is to remove the spring circlip that holds the shellholder and replace with a suitable size o-ring, mine ended up a 7/8" oring I think. This allows the shellholder to float slightly, it did improve my press , cant take credit for the idea though I read it in a book but it does work.

Ronin I considered buying a co-ax a while back and looked into it, but if I remeber correctly .308 win was about as big as it goes, I could be wrong though but I do remember reading it.

suppose you could just leave it out chris

David

will the Co Ax handle 338 LM and 250 / 300 g bullets?

I err, may need another, larger press pretty soon :lol:

Hi Ronin,

I dont know with the Co-AX, I was thinking that for the 308 Win. You would need to change the shellholder jaws to go between 308 and 338 - which I`m too lazy to do.

For 338 I wanted a lot of room, this in effect other than the best - Corbin, narrows it down the RCBS (Ammo Master? (I think) - big single stage one) and the very similar Hornady 50bmg press - they are painted a different colour and the ram is a bit different - other than that made in the same place. Of the 2 the Hornady is a bit more expensive and seems to get better reviews, it is a piece if cake to change dies with the locknload system and convert from 50bmg to normal shell holder and threaded dies to LnL adaper. Lots of room to seat bullets with Redding comp dies.

David.

I used a Rockchucker for many years and have just changed to a Forster Co-Ax . It is early days but I have to say I am VERY impressed with it.

i have the rockchucker supreme and have not had any problems with this press, the biggest case i use is the wsm. so it is probably a bit over kill, but i brought it so i only have to buy once,this way if i deiced to buy a big caliber i should be OK.

so i will have to vote with the one i have all ready brought.

ATB

Colin :blink:

Thanks everybody, sounds like Rockchucker it is then.

I was pretty convinced in my own mind but wanted to throw it open to you guys and tap some of your knowledge. :blink:

Next question, who has the best prices on these then ? or do's anybody know somebody willing to part with one, if so PM me.

Have had a co-ax for the last 2 years.I load for 222 and 6.5x55.Also have friends that load for 30-06,7Rem mag and 375H&H mag on theirs.Very impressed with it,universal jaws take 95% of cartridges with little or no adjustment.-Toby

or just to let you know there are others out there,

http://www.modulo-masterpiece.it/presse_eng.html

photo_presse_02.jpg

when i was at the IWA last year i saw this press, and a very nicely put together bit of kit it is to,if i recall you can get attachments so you can use any type of die you need to.

FOOD for thought

ATB

Colin ;)

David

MMMM, Corbin, that would be the Walnut Hill or CSP-1 press eh :D

I await delivery of a WH (and some other bits) anyway, tick tick tick

Juices now flowing freely ;)

A superbly accurate ram style press built with absolute perfct alignment still wont reload as straight and concentric as a set of hand dies and an arbour press ;)

Ian.

Ian you are probably correct,,,,but there is no way I am going to purchase 8 sets of Wilson Die sets and an arbour press to replace my existing Redding Comp and Forster BR die sets and the presses that go with it :D

I'll just try the O ring trick on the RC and see if that makes a difference.

Archived