foxing rifle accuracy at 220 yards

happyhunter

had a few hours to kill inbetween milking today so with the .22/250 in hand i headed out and had hoped for a bit of vermin bashing. nothing showed for the best part of an hour so sticking a shoot and see target to a cereal box i wandered accross the field to about what i thought was around 200 yard. getting back to the firing point i ranger the target and at 221yards and got settled behind the rifle for the shots. i had five rounds with me but seeing the group after 3 shots i made that do!SDC13697.jpg

been an age since i actually done this properly and not just shooting vermin or picking targets on tree stumps or mole hills etc etc. mighty chuffed with the group anyway and about 1" low of the aim point as expected with a 100 yard zero.

thanks for looking, Simon

Mick K you are right, centre to centre is .444" @ 220yards and defiantly within minute of fox.

Dispatched two dog foxes with it under the lamp last night one at 70yards one at 163yards.

Excellent tool for the job.

Mick K you are right, centre to centre is .444" @ 220yards and defiantly within minute of fox. Dispatched two dog foxes with it under the lamp last night one at 70yards one at 163yards. Excellent tool for the job.

It's better than .222 moa,and 222s are accurate!Why do I hope it's an out of the box,and not some customised job! Very impressive,even so-5 shots like that would be Bench Rest class-and I doubt you had a concrete bench etc!(the 22/250 had a brief spell as a BR chambering...but 222 was a tad better,if slower. For 70 and 160 yards almost any tool would do.Twice the latter is a different story.

george

The rifle is a standard tikka t3 lite in .22/250, with a lightened trigger spring shot from prone off the bipod with rear bag. A fair bit of luck was involved as I usually hold about .750-1" at this range if i do my bit but conditions were perfect, nice crisp morning with no wind to speak of. The load used was cci br-2 primer, 36.5grn varget, 55grn v-max with a col of 2.505" which is a jump of .015". Cases used were lapua once fired, neck sized twice (ran through the die, revolved 180 degree and ran through again) trimmed to 1.902", primer pocket cleaned and case neck chamfered and debur. Thanks for looking, Simon

The rifle is a standard tikka t3 lite in .22/250, with a lightened trigger spring shot from prone off the bipod with rear bag. A fair bit of luck was involved as I usually hold about .750-1" at this range if i do my bit but conditions were perfect, nice crisp morning with no wind to speak of. The load used was cci br-2 primer, 36.5grn varget, 55grn v-max with a col of 2.505" which is a jump of .015". Cases used were lapua once fired, neck sized twice (ran through the die, revolved 180 degree and ran through again) trimmed to 1.902", primer pocket cleaned and case neck chamfered and debur. Thanks for looking, Simon

Hi Simon,thanks for your honest reply-BR guys are safe,I think. Their gear has impressive consistency-unless human error,its (sub) 1/4 moa all the time. 5 5 shot groups usually tell a more reliable story than 3 shots,as you readily admit.Of course,an honest 3/4" to 1" is still very good performance for a factory rifle in field conditions at a couple of hundred yards.Happy hunting!

george

Archived