Scope fogging up problem

JohnGalway

Had trouble last night, it was just a touch foggy and cold, the lenses of my Nightforce fogged up (externally). Bit of a panic over the second fox because of it. What can I do or get to prevent this happening again? The old lenspen set I have (somewhere) has anti fogging solution in it I think, but it's out of date last time I looked. Long time since I got that so there may be something better out for scope lenses.

Let the scope get cold before you go out, it's the condensation of cold humid air on warm glass, or, the humid warm air you are breathing out on cold glass. If that's the case, try to direct your 'out' breath away from it. I personally wouldn't put anything on lenses without checking with the manufacturer

take your manky hanky out of your pocket shake off the grit and dirt then rub away at your lense until there is enough to see through (just) then fire away! don't forget to just put it back in the safe without a second thought when you get back as well!

works for most ghillies i know........

Other way round,

the hotter the glass vs surrounding area the less likely it is to fog.

(Cold glass of beer has condense water on the outside, ever see condense water on a hot cup of coffee?)

edi

So the question becomes,how do you keep your scope glass at hot coffee temperatures?(in places where cold glasses of beer seldom go.Or hot coffee,for that matter,Thermos flasks possibly excepted.)

george

So the question becomes,how do you keep your scope glass at hot coffee temperatures?(in places where cold glasses of beer seldom go.Or hot coffee,for that matter,Thermos flasks possibly excepted.)

george

Just stated the facts, can't help it either. As long as the optics are a bit warmer than the surrounding air it's ok which is mostly not possible.

edi

Chamois. Does not seem to hold grit. Cheap, and cut into strips. (skin that is. They can become very disagreeable if you try to cut the whole animal into strips)

Dear Lisa...

good advice in principle,but there seems to be a hole in this bucket...how do you shoot the chamois first of all when your scope is misted up?

george

take your manky hanky out of your pocket shake off the grit and dirt then rub away at your lense until there is enough to see through (just) then fire away! don't forget to just put it back in the safe without a second thought when you get back as well!

works for most ghillies i know........

:lol: That's true

Dear Lisa...good advice in principle,but there seems to be a hole in this bucket...how do you shoot the chamois first of all when your scope is misted up?george

Good point but I find any number of them lurking in Halfords at this time of year. Mine came from Lance Armstrong's cycling shorts.

Good point but I find any number of them lurking in Halfords at this time of year. Mine came from Lance Armstrong's cycling shorts.
The chamois may be in some continental Halfords branches,but the backstop problem arises,even if you were lucky enough to have your iron sight mannlicher with you.Are Lance's pants the genuine,pure mcoy,or have they additives that might remove the lens coatings.Will he reveal all/nothing on Oprah's show? Will he be seen as a sham-ois?

george

Archived