Brass sizing?

247sniper

Out of interest guys, no right or wrong answer, who neck sizes there brass and who FL sizes?

Just out of interest.....

I neck size only, I do have FL dies at the ready for when I need to FL size the brass. And i FL size my pistol and handgun brass.

Steve.

I've got 204,243 and had 308 always fl sized , but thinking of neck sizing just to see how much difference it makes. I'm I wrong in saying neck sizing is only beneficial for long range and target shooters???

Your best bet is to always FL resize with an FL bushing die. Set it up to bump the shoulder .002 and then all your loads are exactly the same every time. As your brass stops obturating when neck sizing, your chamber pressures will not be consistent from shot to shot, and your POI and ES/SD will be affected.

necksize my bolt actions with redding micrometer comp dies changing bushes for the different brass makes, i usually resize 80-90% of the neck, trimming after 2-4 reloads & have no problem getting 7 or 8 accurate reloads before the brass starts to get tight in the chamber, idont bother f l sizing after that because i found without annealing (which quite honestly unless brass gets a lot more expensive i couldnt spare the time) the pin point accuracy has gone any way and with the price of the powder , heads ect theres no point shooting poor reloads. as for the pistols here in NI i just stick to .22.

Your best bet is to always FL resize with an FL bushing die. Set it up to bump the shoulder .002 and then all your loads are exactly the same every time. As your brass stops obturating when neck sizing, your chamber pressures will not be consistent from shot to shot, and your POI and ES/SD will be affected.

Is this why bench rest shooters only FL resize?~Andrew

Neck size and bump back as and when required ;)

6.5x47 loaded with Wilson hand held dies,,,

Cases still going good after a lot of reloads,,

I do really like the redding comp dies, fl resize and bump back and they use bushes as well as,,,

Or alternatively send some cases of to the states and have a set of dies custom made-to your chamber or as near as dam it.

Neck size and bump back as and when required ;)

6.5x47 loaded with Wilson hand held dies,,,

Cases still going good after a lot of reloads,,

I do really like the redding comp dies, fl resize and bump back and they use bushes as well as,,,

Or alternatively send some cases of to the states and have a set of dies custom made-to your chamber or as near as dam it.

Bit of a mix and match really so far guys.

Can someone explain the difference between full lenght and bumping the shoulder back, do you need another die to bump or do you use your FL die some how?

Steve.

This is what I do. After every fourth firing I get the brass annealed by someone with an annealing machine. For my 243 Ackley I had a custom full length resizing die made by Hornady. If money was no object, I would anneal every time, but for stalking I can live with every fourth firing. I am using some Remington brass just now in the 260 Rem which is on its ninth firing. I will see how many firings I can get out of this.

Doing the same thing every time seems critical to me in order to achieve consistent results. Neck sizing doesn't do that, so I don't do it.

Regards JCS

Can someone explain the difference between full length and bumping the shoulder back, do you need another die to bump or do you use your FL die some how?...

Steve. Full length re-sizing reduces the case dimensions all round the case. There appear to be some dies that allow you to push the shoulder back, but don't squeeze the web at the same time - http://www.forsterproducts.com/store.asp?pid=27654

http://www.forsterproducts.com/client_images/catalog19938/pages/files/Bushing_Bump_Neck_Sizing_Die_DIE-0008.pdf

Regards JCS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived