Sound Moderator Advice

Hi All

I am hoping to get some input for a sound moderator to go on the .260. I don't normally stalk with a moderator as I find them to be clumsy, heavy, unbalancing the rifle, and being 'Mutton Jeff' I already use SENS in ear defenders. But I have a permission where a moderator is becoming required, and would be grateful for any advice / experiences with lightweight, effective moderators , suitable for the calibre.

I have an A-Tec copy (new) that I could use, but its a bit of a lump on the end of the barrel, so much so, that I ve had it for a couple of years and never used it for real.

I don't want to start a keyboard war over preferences, but experience and advice welcome.

Perhaps I am searching for something that does not yet exist?

Thanks

Peter

Have a look at the A-tec maxim Peter. Its light, modular and very efficient. It also comes with Jacksons exceptional guarantee. Its the one i always steer folk to for a stalking moderator.

Hi All

I am hoping to get some input for a sound moderator to go on the .260. I don't normally stalk with a moderator as I find them to be clumsy, heavy, unbalancing the rifle, and being 'Mutton Jeff' I already use SENS in ear defenders. But I have a permission where a moderator is becoming required, and would be grateful for any advice / experiences with lightweight, effective moderators , suitable for the calibre.

I have an A-Tec copy (new) that I could use, but its a bit of a lump on the end of the barrel, so much so, that I ve had it for a couple of years and never used it for real.

I don't want to start a keyboard war over preferences, but experience and advice welcome.

Perhaps I am searching for something that does not yet exist?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

I have recently forwarded my new specification stalking moderator to the Stalking School in Invernesshire for an independant review, I am sure they will post their findings on the Stalking Directory when they have finished. I may have to send Baldie one up to try out in order for him to compare it to a Maxim.

You may want to check out the hardy mods by Riflecraft , I use one on my 260 and its superb.

But make sure you get the specific one for your calibre :)

We tried a 6.5 and a 30 cal side by side on my 6.5x284.The 30 cal was very disappointing and left all our ears ringing.The 6.5 was as good if not better than a lot of the established larger,heavier cans on offer :)

The main benefit of the Hardy is that it only adds 80mm to the length and is extremely compact

I,ve only tested one Hardy, it was a special for a .338 Barratt and i have to say it was the worst moderator i,ve ever heard. It did next to nothing on noise reduction, and the recoil reduction was non existant.

That was just that particular one however, and i would willingly try different calibres etc, as i liked the mod, it appears to be well made, and its certainly light.

Which version was it Dave?

They're onto Mk.III or even IV. Greg (Ed of NZ Hunter) told me today the latest one is not only smaller but a tad more effective. I have to think about it too as my son is lining up a .260 which might become a 6.5x47..

BTW, what's the rough UK retail on a SS Lite T3 in .260??

Chris-NZ

Thanks Dave, interesting.

Not wishing to stir the "retail mark-up pot" but the std price of the same model in NZ is 620 quid incl 15% ~VAT.

Mind you, the NZ$ is relatively strong at the moment.

Chris

Thanks Dave, interesting.

Not wishing to stir the "retail mark-up pot" but the std price of the same model in NZ is 620 quid incl 15% ~VAT.

Mind you, the NZ$ is relatively strong at the moment.

Chris

I make that £320 gbp ? and surely your dealers are making money at that or they wouldn't be in business very long? good old rip off britain again eh?

it reminds me of when i was stupid enough to buy a second land rover discovery , built here but cheaper for me to ship one back from abroad ! build it here, ship it to holland, ship it back, AND it's still cheaper for me ? makes perfect sense eh?

I've had a look at the suggested options , and it looks like Daves advice towards the A Tec Maxim is the way for me to go. Light , strippable, and seems effective for a stalking rifle. Thanks Dave.

I am not altogether sure what the price of a second hand Disco has to do with a sound moderator for a .260, but Hey Ho....... its nearly Christmas.

Thanks All

Seasons Greetings from The Caspian.

P

I've had a look at the suggested options , and it looks like Daves advice towards the A Tec Maxim is the way for me to go. Light , strippable, and seems effective for a stalking rifle. Thanks Dave.

I am not altogether sure what the price of a second hand Disco has to do with a sound moderator for a .260, but Hey Ho....... its nearly Christmas.

Thanks All

Seasons Greetings from The Caspian.

P

it was my second new discovery (turned out to be worse than the first) and i was making reference to how stuff seems so much more expensive in the uk than elsewhere , thats all. £1030 for a tikka here £320 in NZ ? and you are right i did digress off topic i will give myself a jolly good talking to!

oh and i'd have a look at a hardy if you get chance you might be surprised.

Merry christmas

I make that £320 gbp ? and surely your dealers are making money at that or they wouldn't be in business very long? good old rip off britain again eh?

it reminds me of when i was stupid enough to buy a second land rover discovery , built here but cheaper for me to ship one back from abroad ! build it here, ship it to holland, ship it back, AND it's still cheaper for me ? makes perfect sense eh?

I'm guessing he means £620 after conversion from NZ$ otherwise they'd be giving them aaway LOL

Mark

Think though guys, the RRP i quoted is GMK,s recommended retail price....no one actually charges that. Without looking at gunmart, i have no doubt the big boys are discounting that figure. However, i would willingly bet its cheaper all over the world than here.

Archived