Sako Finnfire headspace

spanner

Had my barrel shortened a while ago and just took the barrel only in to get it done. I refitted it with a spent 22 shell in the barrel closed the bolt and nipped it up and it seems fine, as accurate as ever and no extraction or misfire issues. I read somewhere they are tricky to set up so maybe I just got lucky but what would the symptoms be if I have got the headspace wrong?

Had my barrel shortened a while ago and just took the barrel only in to get it done. I refitted it with a spent 22 shell in the barrel closed the bolt and nipped it up and it seems fine, as accurate as ever and no extraction or misfire issues. I read somewhere they are tricky to set up so maybe I just got lucky but what would the symptoms be if I have got the headspace wrong?

Hi,

Symptoms would be any of the following:

Light strikes and missfires

Split cases

Failure to chamber

Failure to extract

Alan

Thanks don't have any of those so must have got lucky.

Isn't it kind of hard NOT to get the barrel in correctly? If I remember rightly,the Finnfire just has a couple of set screws to remove/remount the barrel. Wouldn't it be hard to un-set the headspace if it is installed correctly? I know Lija sells barrels over the counter for the Finnfire.~Andrew

Then you were lucky, or maybe not. Take it to a gunsmith who has a set of rimfire go and no go guages, you might get a shock.

Yes its held in with two bolts, thats all, but the barrel can slide backwards and forwards by a hell of a lot more than the difference between the two guages. You cannot accuratly set its headspace without guages, trust me. Lilja put this info in with their barrels i believe too Andrew.

Then you were lucky, or maybe not. Take it to a gunsmith who has a set of rimfire go and no go guages, you might get a shock.

Yes its held in with two bolts, thats all, but the barrel can slide backwards and forwards by a hell of a lot more than the difference between the two guages. You cannot accuratly set its headspace without guages, trust me. Lilja put this info in with their barrels i believe too Andrew.

Thanks. Never had one apart before but a buddy got a Lija for his and I don't remember him talking about any issues other than installation.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Long story but I've had the barrel in and out of mine couple of times without problem - having spoken to Richard Pope at Swift Precision Rifles I got the right amount of pressure by holding the rifle upright with just the weight of my arm holding the barrel against the closed bolt with a fired case (Of your usual ammo - Eley in mine) in the breech whilst I tightened the 2 bolts. I've had no misfires, extraction or accuracy problems. :rolleyes:

Looking for his details I found this in my bookmarks:

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/282513/Customise_your_rimfire_rifle.html

My other 'useful tip' is for replacement extractor springs - get hold of a piece of 0.30 piano wire from a friendly piano tuner and a pair of RC modellers control wire pliers and just match it to the original. All for less than a replacement from Brownells and enough spare wire for a lifetime of springs. :rolleyes:

atb

Fizz

B)

Serious .22 target shooters use a rim thickness gauge to measure every round of ammunition. They get variances in a box of best quality ammo, such as tenex. What do you think the variance will be in a five quid box of subsonics ?

Headspace is critical in a .22 rimfire, for safety. You get it wrong, and you may set the round off upon closing the bolt. attempting to set headspace with a fired case is very innacurate, and WILL render the gun unsafe with other brands of ammo that have different rim thicknesses.

The headspace has to be correct to give the correct margin for rim thickness BOTH ways [ thick and thin case rims ]

The best accuracy is allied to correct headspace.

A pair of guages will cost less than 500 rounds....and far cheaper than an eye, or fingers.

Stay safe guys.

Serious .22 target shooters use a rim thickness gauge to measure every round of ammunition. They get variances in a box of best quality ammo, such as tenex. What do you think the variance will be in a five quid box of subsonics ?

Headspace is critical in a .22 rimfire, for safety. You get it wrong, and you may set the round off upon closing the bolt. attempting to set headspace with a fired case is very innacurate, and WILL render the gun unsafe with other brands of ammo that have different rim thicknesses.

The headspace has to be correct to give the correct margin for rim thickness BOTH ways [ thick and thin case rims ]

The best accuracy is allied to correct headspace.

A pair of guages will cost less than 500 rounds....and far cheaper than an eye, or fingers.

Stay safe guys.

I'll go with the bald chap on this one.

Who's to know that you haven't just headspaced your barrel on the thinnest case head out of the lot?

I'll go with the bald chap on this one.

Who's to know that you haven't just headspaced your barrel on the thinnest case head out of the lot?

Points taken chaps...I've shot more than several boxes from different batches so far without problem and did look for the gauges at the time - have you got a link to a source for go/no go gauges for future use?

atb

Fizz

B)

Midway is a good source Fizz, failing them, direct from PTG in the states.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.... will have a look tomorrow.

atb

Fizz

And a Happy New Year to everyone! Have to say I'm quite glad I'm not up on Stirling or Edinburgh Castles doing the Hogmanay fireworks again this year... would probably be a bit pish wet through by now. :rolleyes:

Archived