Kern Scales.

achosenman

Well My Acculab scales took a knock so after reading Ronny’s post on Kern, I bit the bullet and got some. I decided to buy once and cry once. I went for the Kern ALT 160-4B’s from Max up at PBS.

All I can say is wow they are big!

Anyway, I set them up on a marble slab, levelled and sitting on anti vibration gel pads. I then left it to acclimatize for a day as per the instructions. I then played with various filter settings and found the dispensing filter perfect for the Omega Trickler (surprise surprise...not) along with a stability setting that suited the setup location. I tried the various auto zero functions and settled on the full +/-7 digit whole weighing range.

I tested throughout the next day without resetting the tare function. This model runs an internal calibration function every twenty minutes, or a temp change of 1.5C. I picked the 5gn check weight and at random times throughout the day, had a little test weigh. It returned 5.011gn on every single occasion after the 4 second stabilization time. I then tried to trickle single kernels’ of various powders. The auto zero function did not preclude this at any time, exactly as the manufacturer had informed Max at PBS.

Today I have just loaded some 223 rounds to run in a new rifle. 30 rounds took around ten minutes to load the powder and bullet. No rechecking needed, or doubts about the weight. Throwing .001gn is not possible since a single kernel will weigh more than that, but it does allow you to control the .00gn range very easily and with confidence.

In conclusion, these are the best scales I have used bar none. They are for my spending power, eye wateringly expensive and undoubtedly overkill. But on the plus side, there isn’t anywhere else to go scales wise. The magnetic force restoration technology is the only way to go IMHO. The repeatability without watching the last two digits race up and down is how it should be. On the downside they are expensive, big and heavy and require thoughtful setting up along with serious thought to location.

I’ll report back on what I see with regard to my hand loads...if anything at all.

Would I spend the money in a do-over? Yes, if only because like others, I can get anal and these have scratched an itch that’s been bugging me for a while now.

ATB

Glad to hear your itch has been scratched, I bought the same set as Ronny after his reveiw, and have nothing but praise for them and the service from Max at PBS.

OMG...... just checked out your set, I now fully understand your comment, that would make my eyes water too.

Steve

They are very good scales and I am extremely happy with mine. I am getting single digit ES with my 20 Practical now with homeloads and I can achieve 5 shot 100m groups of 0.15-0.25" as standard.

RONNY-shooting like that you want to get to diggle and shoot 100yd bench rest.if thats standard shooting then you would certainly compete with the best there.

Glad to hear your itch has been scratched, I bought the same set as Ronny after his reveiw, and have nothing but praise for them and the service from Max at PBS.

OMG...... just checked out your set, I know fully understand your comment, that would make my eyes water too.

Steve

Steve I also bought the scales that were in the original post. What settings do you use to overcome the auto-tare and does it mean that you cannot trickle up to weight?

Dave

OMG...... just checked out your set, I know fully understand your comment, that would make my eyes water too.

Steve

I agree, if it hadn’t been for Ronny I too would never have given Max a call. Max spent a lot of time and effort getting the info I wanted, as well as explaining the pro’s and cons of the different technologies to an idiot. (Me)

TBH if I hadn’t got an unexpected surprise in my pay packet I would have gone for the model you got...but I figured if I don’t spent it, she will. And besides, what she doesn’t know, won’t hurt me. :lol:;)

ATB

Ronny-im not doubting you-as for shiny blinged up target rifles -yes i have them but also have 4 rifles for shooting vermin over a lot more acreage -nothing i enjoy more than putting rabbits in the freezer.i control fox all year round with lamp and nv,but when i first went to diggle ranges i thought i could shoot!well i got a sharp lesson in rifle accuracy and the skills needed to execute shots out to 1000yds.since joining diggle my accuracy for vermin has taken a few steps forward wind reading has become second nature -but im still learning.

in a nut shell-shooting at a range has upped my skill level.

Steve I also bought the scales that were in the original post. What settings do you use to overcome the auto-tare and does it mean that you cannot trickle up to weight?

Dave

I'd need to check Dave, but basically I set them up as Ronnys original "Kern" post and this was also recommended by Max. I do trickle up to final weight though.

I'll be heading to the mancave at some point today, I'll have a look then, unless Ronny could shed some light?

Steve

My scales are Kern PCB 100-3 if you go through your manual it has a section called "Dosing and Zero Tracking" on page 29, if I remember correctly I have mine switched off. :D :D :D

Thanks Ronny... I will take a look.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I am a vermin shooter, I shoot rabbits, foxes, hares, pigeons, and Muntjac over 3500 acres of local farms, I then take them home, skin them and eat them. Why would I want to travel 100 miles to stand about on a cold moor shooting at paper and going home after shooting 100+ rounds through my rifle with nothing to eat in the boot ???

I am sure you guys that shoot at Bisley and Diggle love your sport and can shoot really small groups, I am not knocking you. But why do you always have to say of the long range hunting fraternity.

"If you can shoot that well come here to Diggle and show us ???"

If you guys at diggle want to travel 100 miles down here, crawl through hedgerows with a rifle to shoot rabbits at 400yds+ your more than welcome to come down here if you don't mind getting your toys dirty, and they will get dirty. Please leave your fancy stainless bipods, shooting bags, benches, spotting scopes etc...etc...etc at home though.

Diggle has no attraction to me, shooting a fox at 300-400yds on a cold barrel in the middle of winter in failing light has a lot of appeal to me, and it takes a lot of skill to do it too.

If you doubt the tiny groups my rifle can generate at 100m please contact either Minkstone or DazB on here, both have witnessed it first hand.

Also consider my options.

Option 1.

•  
  • Load 20 rounds.(Costing £10 approx)
  • Drive 5 mins down the road. (costing 50p)
  • Shoot for 2 hours hunting
  • Bring home meat to eat or trade at local restaurants for free meals.
  • Go home get my feet up.

My freezer is full of rabbit, hare, pheasant, muntjac and pigeon, I cannot remember the last meat I purchased.

Option 2.

•  
  • Load 100 rounds (Costing £50 approx)
  • Drive 2 hours up motorway 4 hours return journey on a good day.(Costing £60 return trip)
  • Pay to shoot at range (Don't know how much £££)
  • Shoot at paper for 4 hours
  • Bring targets home with holes in it.
  • No meat in boot of car with nothing to trade at pubs and restaurants.
  • Get home very late, tired and irritated after 4 hours on the motorway.

If diggle and bisley are your thing go and enjoy it guys, I am pleased for you, its not for me.

Horses for courses.

I'll take you up on that :) bunny bashing or paper punching? Bunny bashing anytime. I just need some land with bunnies on :(

Yeah I had a quick look at them and seen that the 100g suggested weight was £50!! Where did you get the weight from??

Hi Shaun, Max @ Precision Balances supplied mine with the scales, from memory they are F1, F2 and M1. Some are crazy prices but I cant remember which around it is, but again I'm sure it's on PB website.

I hope you were on commission Ronny :lol:

Archived