primer crimp help

Devil_bri

I got a load of once fired 223/5.56 brass which is stamped GGG

it has a primer crimp which i need to remove

i have googled it, and as usual the americans have all sorts of ideas on how to remove it

i have tried the chamfeur tool without any luck

what do you guys use and can you recommend any particular item ??

thanks

The RCBS tool is the common one in the UK and many PR shooters use it.

I have the Dillon super swage which came from them and was around $100. It works perfectly and easily.

I've got a Dillon 1050 that does it for you.

The Dillon Super swage will do it, but god it's tedious. <_<

Depending on the amount you need to do, I have had good success in the past just running a sharp scalpel blade around the edge of the pocket

I have been using an "RCBS Primer Pocket Swager" in .223 with no problems. In 308 however, I still need to chamfer Lake City and SBS brass to ease primer seating. If all else fails, a thin bladed pocket knife will work!~Andrew

Roger that-get a commercial pp swager-£15 maybe-some have 308 add on too.Do some thumb muscle exercises,but you only do each case once!Be glad you don't have a tight neck chamber too.

george

The RCBS tool is the common one in the UK and many PR shooters use it.

I have the Dillon super swage which came from them and was around $100. It works perfectly and easily.

After reading my post I got thinking about my RCBS tool and took a shot at it again. A slight readjustment of the internal anvil had the crimp completely swaged out on 100 once-fired 2005 Lake City brass. The primers seated like factory brass; no fuss, no muss. Quite a relief to have that operational as I have 100+ pounds of the stuff in buckets waiting my loving ministrations.~Andrew

Must have another play with mine Andrew- have a heap of once-fired LC .223 brass I was given. Last time I used the RCBS swager, they were still rather tight and I used an inside chamferer to give a nicer leading edge into the pocket.

The Scotsman in me refuses to give up on the brass. It was smoother seating after the first reload.

Chris-NZ

After reading my post I got thinking about my RCBS tool and took a shot at it again. A slight readjustment of the internal anvil had the crimp completely swaged out on 100 once-fired 2005 Lake City brass. The primers seated like factory brass; no fuss, no muss. Quite a relief to have that operational as I have 100+ pounds of the stuff in buckets waiting my loving ministrations.~Andrew

Andrew,no wonder it's in short supply over here-80% of post 2006 production is in Afghanistan,and the rest is in Montana!(I'm assuming,like any good scot,Chris has had his for far longer than that,maturing like a good malt.

Midway sometimes get some,but not much since the last battle there.Is it reasonable quality brass-it probably varies-we seem to get only the unobtainium stuff!I'm thinking Steyr Aug,mostly.

george

No, mine's less than 4yrs old (courtesy of local ~SWAT guys..) ;)

I think my maternal g/g/g/mother was a Scot so well diluted at this point. Still shows through at times.

Chris-NZ

Andrew,no wonder it's in short supply over here-80% of post 2006 production is in Afghanistan,and the rest is in Montana!(I'm assuming,like any good scot,Chris has had his for far longer than that,maturing like a good malt.

Midway sometimes get some,but not much since the last battle there.Is it reasonable quality brass-it probably varies-we seem to get only the unobtainium stuff!I'm thinking Steyr Aug,mostly.

george

:) Andrew

Archived