Not enough windage

6.5shooter

Hi Gentlemen,

On arrival of my kahles scope I fitted it to my rpa quadlite in 223 to the standard two piece picatinny mounts using a set of IOR medium height rings. I believe these rings are a replica of badger rings.

Got out to zero yesturday but I had full left windage on and I still wasnt even near the paper! 3 feet to the right!

Does anyone have a solution to cure this?

Had thought ofgetting the dremil tool out and buffing the side ofthe picatinny rail to let the scope move butthos seems a bit rash and how do you know how much to remove?

Other plan is to get some burris zee rings but would they even be enough?

Regards

Garry

Assuming this is a rifle and mounts that have worked OK before; not being silly; but is the barrel tight on your RPA? I've seen one factory-built RPA sporter rifle whose barrel could be undone by hand; was yours tightish, but now undone itself?

.... using a set of IOR medium height rings. I believe these rings are a replica of badger rings.

Gary,

One suggestion is to swap the IOR rings round, ie take the front ring and put it on the back and vice versa. If you have a scope aligner, you can see the before and after effect of any changes that you make. The other option is to turn one of the rings round, it will look a bit odd with one fastener on one side and one on the other, but it might give you the alignment that you need. As BD says, did it work before? I have the Burris Signature rings on my 260 Rem and they give a fair bit of adjustment. There are other options, but BD's question trumps further discussion.

To me, mounting a new scope is the one piece of rifle shooting that causes me most bother. My record is 5 months (and several hundred pounds) to mount a new scope. Good luck. JCS

I had a similar problem with a one piece picatinney rail I fitted once, in my Heath Robinson way, I used a spirit level down each side of the rail and measured the offset to the barrel and it clearly show up how much out the fixing screws were out on the action.

I hasten to add it wasn't an RPA, Matt's suggestion would be worth checking if all was working OK before.

I would definitely look at the RPA bases being off centre, they have had a few instances of this in recent years. Try rotating them 180 degrees if possible, then try doing the same with the rings. Then try the scope on another rifle if possible, it's all about eliminating variables one by one to fault find the problem.

I would definitely look at the RPA bases being off centre, they have had a few instances of this in recent years. Try rotating them 180 degrees if possible, then try doing the same with the rings. Then try the scope on another rifle if possible, it's all about eliminating variables one by one to fault find the problem.

Hi,

Ditto the above, try changing things one at a time to find the problem. It obviously helps save time and money by using a boresighter to check rather than shooting every time. As mentioned previously, it's not unknown for barrels to be little more than hand tight on some 'custom rifles'. I have also come across a major manufacturers octagon barrels loctited in place so the flats line up and then chambered and headspaced. It is also not uncommon for some well known brands of production rifles to have the barrel and/or scope mount threads way out of line,

Alan

Garry,

Before going into all that, take the IOR mounts off, and see how far down a field you can throw them. :lol:

They are not badger quality, and never will be. Try a different set of mounts first.

Gents,

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Prior to my problem I had a nightforce scope on and there was a crappy steel picatinny rail on. I removed the nughtforce and the pic rail and fitted a kahles and the standard bases to cut down on weight! The steel picatinny rail was surprisingly heavy so it had to go!

I looked over the barrel tightness issue lastnight and everyting seems ok, a new archer barrel was fitted just over a year ago.

I will try some of the things suggested and see if it helps!

One thing that I was going to ask advice on that Alan has mentioned is a bore sighter. I dont fancy firing the gun everytime I reverse a base or a ring etc one by one as I dont have the time so I need to buy a bore sighter!

Any preferences to buying a good one? Im a bit afraid of using the muzzle mounted ones incase it damages the crown. Any experience using the laser ones installed into the chamber?

Garry

Garry,

Before going into all that, take the IOR mounts off, and see how far down a field you can throw them. :lol:

They are not badger quality, and never will be. Try a different set of mounts first.

Lol,

Thing is Dave they worked on this rifle before with the nightforce, maybe the nightforce has more adjustment than the kahles and I didnt notice the issue before.

I never dial windage on my 223 anyway, I just use kentucky style so Im not bothered about having surplus adjustment, I just need to getthe bloomin thing zero'd

Gents,

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

Prior to my problem I had a nightforce scope on and there was a crappy steel picatinny rail on. I removed the nughtforce and the pic rail and fitted a kahles and the standard bases to cut down on weight! The steel picatinny rail was surprisingly heavy so it had to go!

I looked over the barrel tightness issue lastnight and everyting seems ok, a new archer barrel was fitted just over a year ago.

I will try some of the things suggested and see if it helps!

One thing that I was going to ask advice on that Alan has mentioned is a bore sighter. I dont fancy firing the gun everytime I reverse a base or a ring etc one by one as I dont have the time so I need to buy a bore sighter!

Any preferences to buying a good one? Im a bit afraid of using the muzzle mounted ones incase it damages the crown. Any experience using the laser ones installed into the chamber?

Garry

Hi Garry,

Most of the optical boresighters on the market appear to all come out of the same factory. Throw away the sprung arbors/mandrels/spuds that come with the kit and buy an expandable arbor from Brownells and use carefully. I'm afraid that I am old school and don't have any experience of using the laser variety,

Best regards

Alan

Hi Garry, I'd swap bases round first and then literally bore sight it, ie look down the bore and centre something like a chimney or the like about 100yds away. Lock up the rifle so it doesn't shift and adjust the cross hairs onto your target. I tried a couple of the laser variety of cartridges that you chamber and see where the laser goes, imho they're not worth the fill of your arz of roasted snow!

Mike

• 5 weeks later...

Tried everything! I even bought a set of burris zee rings with + and - 10 thou inserts in both rings, this got me alot closer but in the end I gave up and put my trusty nxs scope back on and sold the kahles!

Pity as the kahles was superb but just didnt have enough windage adjustment.

Must be something badly out of line in my rifle :(

Archived