Preping new cases

tony

When prepping my NEW Lapua cases I always run them through my Redding neck die and then deburr, nothing else, question, should I be doing anything else to them before loading them up :blink:

Thanks, Tony.

When prepping my NEW Lapua cases I always run them through my Redding neck die and then deburr, nothing else, question, should I be doing anything else to them before loading them up :blink:

Thanks, Tony.

I bought a flash hole deburing and pocket uniforming tool and do them, its amazing how much comes out. But generally no I think you've probably done the usual that most people do, depending on how serious you are

Alan

Can't hurt to check the brass trim length although they are invariably on the short end of safe length.

Assume that you are checking for any chance of actual damage (never seen one myself in any calibre)

Ive recently just got a load of new lapua brass and done the full pretzel on it, primer pockets, flash holes, length, neck turned and chamfered before weight sorting.. Then someone said i should have done it after fireforming.. :mad:

Logically i suppose that the way to do it, but if theyre all identical then surely they will be pretty much just as identical after fireforming?

I found one case out of 200 which has a cracked neck, very rare i think to find this.

So whats everyones thoughts on prep on either new or once fired?

Tony I wasn't trying to be funny in my answer but some people only neck size and some only fl size. Once you have fireformed brass double check nec wall thickness and oal of case and trim or turn if you need to. Once that's all done if you have an annealer. Anneal your cases after all that case prep and before your second shot with case. By annealing the brass now it should be in its most unstressed state for future load dev etc. re anneal every third reload. Or less if you prefer. It's all good.

Tony I wasn't trying to be funny in my answer but some people only neck size and some only fl size. Once you have fireformed brass double check nec wall thickness and oal of case and trim or turn if you need to. Once that's all done if you have an annealer. Anneal your cases after all that case prep and before your second shot with case. By annealing the brass now it should be in its most unstressed state for future load dev etc. re anneal every third reload. Or less if you prefer. It's all good.

Not at all Spud, no offence taken. ;)

Tony.

Archived