stock flex

sheldon cooper

Hi,

The CZ rimfire synthetic stocks are renowned for being flexible, the barrel acts as rebar for the forend. Most of the cheaper synthetic stocks on the market have the same problem, Rem. SPS's etc.

Alan

you can epoxy carbon fibre rods in the forend. You can get the rods from most fishing shops. Then you mill out a couple of slots in the stock under the barrel from the forend tip to just in from of the recoil lug recess and epoxy them in.

you can epoxy carbon fibre rods in the forend. You can get the rods from most fishing shops. Then you mill out a couple of slots in the stock under the barrel from the forend tip to just in from of the recoil lug recess and epoxy them in.

cheers for the advise. i think i am just going to sell the thing. its not worth messing for the amount that i use it and the cost of the ammo over my .22

Well if you are selling, let I know, I don't mind spending 20 mins on it to make it a shooter. If you don't have access to a mill, you could use a drill for the ends of the slot then an angle grinder for the slot, give it a try, what's to lose ? I know I'd rather have a hmr handy for when the 22 just don't have the legs but the 308 is a touch too large ;)

Before you sell it, take it out of the stock, and get some of that sticky backed sponge stuff from a stationers or furniture shop. Place a piece in the barrel channel right at the front, and tighten the action down into it. You have effectivley made the stock completely non floating, and the bipod wont affect it.

See if it shoots. ;)

Before you sell it, take it out of the stock, and get some of that sticky backed sponge stuff from a stationers or furniture shop. Place a piece in the barrel channel right at the front, and tighten the action down into it. You have effectivley made the stock completely non floating, and the bipod wont affect it.

See if it shoots. ;)

Sorry to be a bore and kill the intrigue but what should happen in this situation? Widespread thinking is that free floated barrels are accurate and non-floating barrels are less so. Is this your experience?

A pressure bedded barrel with say 2kg pressure as in position (arrow) "a" bends the barrel upwards.

Rest the forend on a bag or sticks and this resting pressure "b" (easily another 2kg) is just added to the pressure "a" and the barrel is

bent upwards double the ammount/travel. Add a bipod and say shoot off the mag area "c" rested on a bag then the free hanging bipod ~0.5kg would reduce

the pressure bedding to 1.5kg, (barrel goes down a bit) Pressure on the barrel will dictate where the shot goes to.

Changing pressure = changing POI

With a free floating barrel this does not happen.

pressurebed.jpg

edi

You wioll still get a POI change when shooting off a bipod/shooting off hand but it may be that the extra pressure will get it to shoot well off the bipod. Full length bedding isn't necessarily bad for accuracy but will alter POI for different positions that affect the pressure on the forend.

We are talking about a lightweigh sporting rimfire here, not a 15lb tactical rifle.

To put another 2kg,s of weight onto it pressure wise, you would have to sit on the thing.

It is a std thing on a lot of factory guns to put a pressure point on the stock tip. Its far easier and cheaper than fully floating the barrel.

If the stock is tightened down onto it, tightly, you would have to wrestle with it to exert any more pressure on the barrel....which would have thrown a shot from a floated barrel anyway, due to the extra stresses involved in gripping it so tightly.

Reminton use a pressure point on the sps, and they shoot. Volquartsen have always been proponents of this method too.

The key thing is, that the barrel must be tight against the point, not "nearly" tight, or allowed to move slightly.

Doesn,t work on every gun, but will on most. Its a cheap and easy fix.

Costs nothing if it doesn,t work.

Have done this trick many times on rimfires, and it almost always works.

Remember, this is a rimfire.....not a centrefire.....they behave differently.

The prohunter i sorted had one, called the "absorber pad" in the parts diagram i think, that was the first thing i removed. When filled with acraglass the forend was rigid but there was still flex around the mag area. Pretty accurate once sorted, if you held it consistently.

• 3 weeks later...

cheers for the advise guys. i have been thinking about it and with the new 17 hornet coming out i think i will trade in the hmr. i like the range it give me over the 22 but i dont have foxes on my ticket and i could get it put on if i had the hornet!?! i would also like to try reloading and you cant do that with the hmr.

cheers for the advise guys. i have been thinking about it and with the new 17 hornet coming out i think i will trade in the hmr. i like the range it give me over the 22 but i dont have foxes on my ticket and i could get it put on if i had the hornet!?! i would also like to try reloading and you cant do that with the hmr.

Did you at least try what baldie reccomended?

Archived