laminate stocks

hi all

i have never used a laminate stock, but i have just decided to get one for a project i have on the go.

All so one of my customers rifles i have made up for them is going to have a lamented stock put on her as well.

the stock i have chose for my sako L579 is this one

img_00892.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_00912.jpg

but i have had it in a more Wood color and grain.

IMG_09392.jpg

the chap that makes them is again from the USA, but he has no problem shipping to the UK.and he says he makes them in about 6 weeks.I'm just waiting on shipping costs and then i will put up the cost.

ATB

Colin :rolleyes:

Nice stocks col, who makes them?

Nice stocks col, who makes them?

hi -

a chap i kinda know in the good old USA, name Joel i will not put hiss full name up,but if you need his contact details i will ask if it is OK to pass them on,(i can not see any reason y not) but i will ask all the same.

if you are interested in a stock then PM me and i will send you them

ATB

Looks very good, Col. Might be an idea to post the colour options as well. Or maybe it's just me that wants to know if he does dayglo pink and electric blue? If so, put me down for a thumbhole varminter inlet for the Sako A2 with varmint weight barrel! That would finish my 20-250 off a treat!

Col what's your verdict on the L579? I've read very little

about it and we have a 308 in the family since early 70's.

(Pre Garcia or so)

edi

hi ejg223

i know very little about the action,only it was a 7.62 and had a very heavy barrel on it original.i was told they make very good custom rifles, so thats what i had done,

i do believe it was more commonly known as the sako forester,and was a very good action/rifle when sold straight from the factory.

i have not shot it,as it will be up for sale as soon as i have put the stock on it,its chambered in 6mm Hot (6x47) so it should be one hell of a rifle, action was blueprinted,and the smith says it was pretty true anyway,i had the action coated in gun coat,but i am not that keen on it,so i may give kal some work,not sure yet as it may become to expensive to pass on.anyway i will Post some picks as soon as it is done.

ATB

Looks very good, Col. Might be an idea to post the colour options as well. Or maybe it's just me that wants to know if he does dayglo pink and electric blue? If so, put me down for a thumbhole varminter inlet for the Sako A2 with varmint weight barrel! That would finish my 20-250 off a treat!

hi rem

i will email him and see if he will send me some picks of what he does.

ATB

Colin

Thats nice is that Col.

I cant understand why more folk dont go for laminates, if they are good quality [and most of the american stuff is] following a decent pillar and devcon job, there,s no reason why a laminate wont perform the same as a fibreglass stock really...providing its sealed and finished correctly. Have a look down a benchrest line, at least half will be laminates [usually shehane,s]

I had a beautiful electric blue laminate from richards a few years back.

DSCF0031.jpg

Col

is that the same Joel who makes the A5L ? (A5 laminate)

Great chap to deal with if it is and like you say excellent service / product <_<

Col

is that the same Joel who makes the A5L ? (A5 laminate)

Great chap to deal with if it is and like you say excellent service / product :P

Hi Ronin

I have known about this chap for a wile,(as i guess you have as well) but i have never had any interest in laminate stocks.

but i know this chap has a very good name and his work is meant to be excellent,so with credentials like that you have just got to give him a go.

i have asked for a list of inlets and stock stiles so hopefully i will be able to show everyone his work.i have asked if it is OK to do this,and mention his name.(i can not see y he will not let me doe this) but i think it is only right to ask.

sort answer yes i think it is <_<:o

ATB

Colin :D

I know the guy and his work is excellent, he will even get adjustable cheek pieces inletted for you at very good rates.

You got a shipping cost yet Col?

no -

I only rang him today,so i don't think he will get back in touch with me till tomorrow, and i think they are about 6 hours behind us.

ATB

Colin <_<

Well done Col, there is a market for this stock here, for too long we have suffered at the whim of "big Mac" and their wavering delivery times.

There is a load of info on another long range site about Joels stocks (not LRH) but if you want i'll let you know where to go for satisfied customers write ups.

Plus as Baldie says alot of the F Class and BR boys have moved to laminate as its as stable as fibreglass and composite materiel and just as receptive to bedding.

My guess is youre on to a winner here mate <_<

Col what's your verdict on the L579? I've read very little

about it and we have a 308 in the family since early 70's.

(Pre Garcia or so)

edi

Old action sako L61R Finnbear and A serie are very similar Howa/Vanguard action , somebody said howa have maid some sako action :o

When you look under all this actions you can't find any difference <_<

There,s a lot of guys on precision long range hunting using Joel,s stocks, and he,s got some obscure inlets , which is great for the oddballs like some of the old sako,s etc, plus he will do lefties.This last year, i reckon 35% of all gun enquiries we,ve had, have been by left handed shooters [devil worshippers <_< ] and there,s bugger all for the poor sods....well not much.

I was going to use one of his for this 6.5x47 that i,ve just done, but a mac turned up unexpectedly. I,m certainly going to try one myself in the future, i love laminates, especially the wild colours, i particularly like the fire red/black, they look wonderfull under a high gloss finish.

Old action sako L61R Finnbear and A serie are very similar Howa/Vanguard action , somebody said howa have maid some sako action :o

sorry -

i don't think howa made any of sako actions, but i believe sako sold howa the tooling and the rights to make one of there actions that wasn't to sakos standard.i have looked for the post by smegal over on PFS but at present have not been able to find it.

ATB

Colin :P

hi Roebuck

i could not find the post but i did get in contact with the Aurthur of the post, (Smeagal ) Graham from PFS site.and he was kind enough to supply the relevant info.

I have been looking for it and can't seem to find it, but here is the data that you need on Sako

1961-L61R Finnbear

1957-L57 & L579 Forrester

1991- L491/591/691 this is the one that was alleged to be made by Howa, it was not well received and considered inferior to teh previous models but was made by Sako.

1997- 75 series which is 75th Anniversary of the company

2007- 85 series which is 85th anniversary.

So where this rumor came from was the opposition in America, but it was never fact. Indeed the fact is that Howa actually made Weatherby actions

i hope this as helped

ATB

Colin :P

I have an L579 made in 1968 in 243 it has just been re-barreled by Sako and is a hell of a good rifle, well made and good shooter, so I would recommend them over the later ones that have been mentioned. They were made from late 1967 up to about 1990 as I was told by Sako, the fact that few come up for sale says a lot, mine certainly isnt. I like Laminated stocks, I have 2 and have owned others, never had a problem with them.

Redfox

I have an L579 made in 1968 in 243 it has just been re-barreled by Sako and is a hell of a good rifle, well made and good shooter, so I would recommend them over the later ones that have been mentioned. They were made from late 1967 up to about 1990 as I was told by Sako, the fact that few come up for sale says a lot, mine certainly isnt. I like Laminated stocks, I have 2 and have owned others, never had a problem with them.

Redfox

Redfox,

my father bought our 308 Forester in 71 from a PH in South Africa, the Sako had accounted

for more than 1000 Kudu and had plenty shots through. In those days as a little boy I recall

that mostly the magazine was empty after an animal was seen.

Then my father rammed the barrel in a clay hut and all atempts to push the clay out with a wire

failed. Wire got stuck, and a so they pulled a head off a cartridge, stood the rifle behind a tree

and pulled the trigger with boot laces. Those were the days.

Maybe that all didn't help, because she never shot well for me, so she got a new barrel.

Now she shoots really well.

I read that the pre 72 models were better and had bofers steel barrels.

After that they started taking short-cuts.

edi

Archived