Advice please.....................

Guest martin

Hi,I am looking to buy my first stalking rifle within a few weeks,as long as the FAO gets his finger out,and,where better to ask for advice.

So please tell me what you would do/buy and why you think this.I will be going to the Sportsman Gun Centre Monday,and,I think(although I might be desuaded)that I will be going for a Remington 700 in .243cal(as per variation).I am not a rich man(unfortunately)and,I need to get an out of the box rifle(that I may be able to add bits and bobs to at a later date)that will shoot well straight away.

This is probably heracy,but,would I be able to use a Simmons 3.5-10x50 on it for the while,until I get a decent scope,or would it shake the bejaysus out of it?

Also the moderator thing seems very shakey ground.......T8's are the best......NO!!! PES are the best.....NO......etc etc etc! what are the real differences in the mods?and the best for the money/sound deadening ability?

I know a lot of this is down to personal preference,and,I have read a thread that absolutely slates Remmies,but,they are still one of the best selling actions around,so they must have something...no?

I really look forward to your replies,and,I hope you will be gentle with me,as a centrefire virgin.......................martin.

Guest 308Panther

Rem is a good choice.

Just dont mention the "M" word.

Gotta whisper that one.

Look the Simmons over carefully.

Especially the Reticle....Too thick for me...

But might be the thing if you do night shooting.

They hold up pretty good,but I never dialed one.

To be honest it didnt stay on my .17 HMR long

enough to shoot a box of ammo.

308Panther

Rem is a good choice.

Just dont mention the "M" word.

Gotta whisper that one.

Look the Simmons over carefully.

Especially the Reticle....Too thick for me...

But might be the thing if you do night shooting.

They hold up pretty good,but I never dialed one.

To be honest it didnt stay on my .17 HMR long

enough to shoot a box of ammo.

308Panther

Cheers 308Panther,I would be taking it off my rimfire or more likely off my air rifle as I have the two.My greatest fear is that it will just smash the reticle mate.It would just be on there in the meantime,until I can find a decent second hand variable scope to put on there.

Scuse my ignorance,but,whisper the 'M' word to me 'cos I aint sure what it is :lol: ................martin. ;)

MODERATOR!!!!! :lol: There l've gone and said it now!!!!! Oh what a can for worms to kick over round here....

l'll dip my toe in the water with a few generalities and let the rest of the team steamroller right over me in the rush...

1...end can or over barrel, it's all down to balance

2...mild steel + stainless, alloy or cardboard with a fairies ringpiece for a gromit

They all wear out eventually, one way or another...run too hard/hot...not enough WD40...etc

Scopes.. The best glass you can run to, Loopy/SnB/Swaro/NF or wotever you've got till then.....

Nawt wrong with Remmies...Oh there l go again. As you say lots of after market stuff, some say that's 'cos they're not built right in the first place...tiz a matter of taste

Have you looked at the Howas' cheap for the price with a weatherby clone action and lots of possibilities for a custom job in the future...

Anyway mate nice to see you on here, l'm now off to put myself out of the way from the ensuing rush.

All the best, and good luck.

Ratwhiskers.

You have to buy what you can afford, as Ratty says dont discount the Howas, well made and shoot well, Rems seem to be coming back a bit from a poor period so I wouldnt knock them personally and there are more "tune up" bits for rems than perhaps any other rifle. If the simmons are whitetail classics, I have one that lived on my 243 for 3-4 yrs then on the 222 and finally it is on my precharged air rifle and still holding zero, the cheaper versions I dont know about, but if it works for you why worry until you can afford a more expensive one s/h. Mods, cant really comment I dont use them, I am shooting where I am allowed to shoot so I dont need one.

Good luck

Redfox

Hi,I am looking to buy my first stalking rifle within a few weeks,as long as the FAO gets his finger out,and,where better to ask for advice.

So please tell me what you would do/buy and why you think this.I will be going to the Sportsman Gun Centre Monday,and,I think(although I might be desuaded)that I will be going for a Remington 700 in .243cal(as per variation).I am not a rich man(unfortunately)and,I need to get an out of the box rifle(that I may be able to add bits and bobs to at a later date)that will shoot well straight away.

This is probably heracy,but,would I be able to use a Simmons 3.5-10x50 on it for the while,until I get a decent scope,or would it shake the bejaysus out of it?

Also the moderator thing seems very shakey ground.......T8's are the best......NO!!! PES are the best.....NO......etc etc etc! what are the real differences in the mods?and the best for the money/sound deadening ability?

I know a lot of this is down to personal preference,and,I have read a thread that absolutely slates Remmies,but,they are still one of the best selling actions around,so they must have something...no?

I really look forward to your replies,and,I hope you will be gentle with me,as a centrefire virgin.......................martin.

hi martin

rifle any of them really will get the job done, i have all ways gone for the tikka myself as they don't seem to need as much messing with from the go, the trigger on the tikka will go down to a reasonable pull, and with some nice hand loads they will shoot very well.

but i would not turn my nose up at the remmy. what ever you can afford will get the job done.

if i remember correct, York guns was doing a deal on wetherbys, gun and scope combinations,might be Worth a look?

Now the moderator

if you need a moderator,(and i think everyone needs one) and you value your hearing, the most cost affective mod on the market is,

wait for it.

wait

its the reflex, there i said it. so lets look at the reasons y it is the most cost effective moderator on the market.

(1) cast iron guarantee

(2) it only costs £189 for a T4 and £199 for a T8

(3) and i think this still stands, if when you have burnt/broke it,you can send it back and swap it for a new one for 1/2 price

now you tell me a moderator company that is offering all that for that price ??????

now before you all jump on me from a great hight. i said most cost effective, not which is best.

right i will go and get me coat

Colin :lol:

Rem - great choice...stick to your instincts! :lol:

Mod - hang on a minute...why do you REALLY need one? Many people still don't use one (inc. your truely, even though I have used them and have space for one on my ticket) and you could use the money saved on a more important aspect of your set-up...getting a decent scope earlier. ;)

Rem - great choice...stick to your instincts! :lol:

Mod - hang on a minute...why do you REALLY need one? Many people still don't use one (inc. your truely, even though I have used them and have space for one on my ticket) and you could use the money saved on a more important aspect of your set-up...getting a decent scope earlier. :D

You could spend the money saved on not buying a mod towards decent hearing aid when you realise that you can`t hear a conversation after a few years ;)

The pro`s far outweigh the cons regarding mods and I wouldn`t want to be without them so if you`re on a budget the Reflex are a good choice (if not a good quality pair of electronic muffs)

Now a couple of years back I`d have rated the Tikka over Remmy but it seems that recently Remington have upped their game somewhat so now they`re very similar beasts and either would be a good choice :D

As has been pointed out if you want to just have an out of the box rifle to shoot without any fettling choose a Tikka.If you plan on upgrading in stages the accessories for the remmy are endless ;)

You could spend the money saved on not buying a mod towards decent hearing aid when you realise that you can`t hear a conversation after a few years

The pro`s far outweigh the cons regarding mods and I wouldn`t want to be without them so if you`re on a budget the Reflex are a good choice (if not a good quality pair of electronic muffs)

Or you could just buy either of these! :rolleyes:

http://www.noisebreaker.co.uk/ - (~£65) these are particularly good :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONIC-II-SHOOTING-HE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Now a couple of years back I`d have rated the Tikka over Remmy but it seems that recently Remington have upped their game somewhat so now they`re very similar beasts and either would be a good choice

As has been pointed out if you want to just have an out of the box rifle to shoot without any fettling choose a Tikka.If you plan on upgrading in stages the accessories for the remmy are endless

I don't think it's just that Remington have upped their game, IMO the new Tikka models have quite poor build quality for the price :( But WSM is right in that the accessories/add-on's etc for Remington's is endless...and don't forget, no barrel will last forever either and getting one fitted to a Remington action might be easier than some others.

Or you could just buy either of these! :rolleyes:

http://www.noisebreaker.co.uk/ - (~£65) these are particularly good ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONIC-II-SHOOTING-HE...1QQcmdZViewItem

I don't think it's just that Remington have upped their game, IMO the new Tikka models have quite poor build quality for the price :( But WSM is right in that the accessories/add-on's etc for Remington's is endless...and don't forget, no barrel will last forever either and getting one fitted to a Remington action might be easier than some others.

fitting a barrel to a tikka or a rem is about the same, you would need a new recoil lug with the rem.

as for protecting your hearing, lets see you get some off ebay :D:( and i would sooner go stalking with a mod on than ear/muffs on all day

just the way i see it anyway

ATB

Colin :D

If you are on a budget and there is nothing wrong with that - we all started somewhere similar.

The Rem 700 is a great choice out the box stalker, not sure about the SPS version, the stok is a bit to "bendy" for my liking - buy a BDL or if you cn run to it one with a HS Precision stock.

Rifles are a personal choice, I own,,, err, :rolleyes: several and there are a few Rem 700's in my collection, they are a good basic rifle, tough, accurate and dependable.

You could look for a 2nd hand rifle off the shelves of gunshops, but you need your eyes wide open here - no one gets rid of a good rifle do they :(

Moderator - pardon what did you say :D

I have two mods - one an a .22RF and the other on a vermin rifle, I don't have them on my stalking rifles - even if I am after hinds, when multiple shots (3-4) may be on, its over that quickly that it don't make any difference (IMHO)

Buy a decent set of hearing protectors instead, unless you really want to carry the extra weight.

Scope - yep the WTC is a decent scope (for the price) I have one on the RF, it used to sit on a 270 and shot very accuractely on that.

If they will stand up to spring air rifle recoil, they will withstand centerfire no probs (air rifle is more shocking to the internals)

However, what you save on the mod, you could spend on a better 2nd hand scope (fixed power S&B, Swarowski or Leupold) in the 8 x range and have a good starting package.

If you do get a Rem 700, buy a one piece base, they add rigidity to the action.

I'll get my coat too Col now!! ;)

If you are on a budget and there is nothing wrong with that - we all started somewhere similar.

The Rem 700 is a great choice out the box stalker, not sure about the SPS version, the stok is a bit to "bendy" for my liking - buy a BDL or if you cn run to it one with a HS Precision stock.

Rifles are a personal choice, I own,,, err, :rolleyes: several and there are a few Rem 700's in my collection, they are a good basic rifle, tough, accurate and dependable.

You could look for a 2nd hand rifle off the shelves of gunshops, but you need your eyes wide open here - no one gets rid of a good rifle do they ;)

Moderator - pardon what did you say :(

I have two mods - one an a .22RF and the other on a vermin rifle, I don't have them on my stalking rifles - even if I am after hinds, when multiple shots (3-4) may be on, its over that quickly that it don't make any difference (IMHO)

Buy a decent set of hearing protectors instead, unless you really want to carry the extra weight.

Scope - yep the WTC is a decent scope (for the price) I have one on the RF, it used to sit on a 270 and shot very accuractely on that.

If they will stand up to spring air rifle recoil, they will withstand centerfire no probs (air rifle is more shocking to the internals)

However, what you save on the mod, you could spend on a better 2nd hand scope (fixed power S&B, Swarowski or Leupold) in the 8 x range and have a good starting package.

If you do get a Rem 700, buy a one piece base, they add rigidity to the action.

I'll get my coat too Col now!! :D

What do you mean by a one piece base?........sorry for being a bit of a numpty............martin :D

The Rem 700 has various options for scope mounting, you have to buy a base / bases that are profiled to the circumfirance of the top of the action, they are held in place by four 6mm screws (two for either side of the ejection port)

The two piece base is sometimes difficult to align correctly and, given the wide apature of the ejection port, there is some "weakness" in the Rem system (the action does flex a little - like all actions on firing)

Don't be alarmed when I say flex - its imperceptable and if you think about it, all repeating rifles with magazine slots and ejection ports will bend slightly on firing, the stiffer you can make an action the better, if you want a repeater, you have a compromise, short action repeaters (-250, 243, 308 family) dont flex as much as Long Actions (25-06, 270, 30-06 and the older magnums)

If you ft a one piece base, this effectively bridges the ejection port and forms additional strength to the action - and enhances accuracy too by removing the flex.

Once the bases are fitted, you attach the scope rings to the bases.

This rifle has a one piece base fitted:

DSCN0275.jpg

Another 700 this time a long action with one piece base, Leupold Quick Detatch rings:

DSC00337.jpg

This 700 has a two piece base and ringset from Warne:

rem2506andoehler.jpg

The one piece bases are easier to set up cost little more and IMHO are the better option.

Hope that helps?

The Rem 700 has various options for scope mounting, you have to buy a base / bases that are profiled to the circumfirance of the top of the action, they are held in place by four 6mm screws (two for either side of the ejection port)

The two piece base is sometimes difficult to align correctly and, given the wide apature of the ejection port, there is some "weakness" in the Rem system (the action does flex a little - like all actions on firing)

Don't be alarmed when I say flex - its imperceptable and if you think about it, all repeating rifles with magazine slots and ejection ports will bend slightly on firing, the stiffer you can make an action the better, if you want a repeater, you have a compromise, short action repeaters (-250, 243, 308 family) dont flex as much as Long Actions (25-06, 270, 30-06 and the older magnums)

If you ft a one piece base, this effectively bridges the ejection port and forms additional strength to the action - and enhances accuracy too by removing the flex.

Once the bases are fitted, you attach the scope rings to the bases.

This rifle has a one piece base fitted:

DSCN0275.jpg

Another 700 this time a long action with one piece base, Leupold Quick Detatch rings:

DSC00337.jpg

This 700 has a two piece base and ringset from Warne:

rem2506andoehler.jpg

The one piece bases are easier to set up cost little more and IMHO are the better option.

Hope that helps?

Thanks Ronin,there is summat I learned today,thanks for that,and a one piece base it is then!!

Nice rifles by the way,are they all yours?.................martin.

At the end of the day Martin, go round a few shops see what catches your eye. Consider your budget but allow some flexibility as changing afterwards is a pain in the arse. Been there done that.

Buy what feels right straight away and what floats your boat as ultimately it will come down to confidence and if this one whatever it is feels right you will shoot better with it. I have a 700 with T8 and I am happy with it. If you go synthetic stock beware there is some crap! :( Pay more and get hs or something. Get the right rifle and sort the optics later.

You don't want to end up with wrong rifle with sh*te optics all within budget do you? :D

I think moderators are neccessary but choose the rifle first, you can always use some earplugs whilst saving up. Don't forget the fitting costs in your calcs.

Bear weight in mind depending on use. Heavy barrel is just that if your walking far :rolleyes:

Then again, what some call heavy, others are ok with. My 700vs is about 13lbs all up and I think thats ok but wouldn't want to go much more!

A 700 BDL would be a good start, avoid ADL as the lack of floorplate makes unloading a pain.

From time to time stocks come up on ebay, I have just got myself a spare HS. ;)

Martin, another option might be getting a

rifle smith to tune a remmy or howa for you.

Roedale and others here offer these tuned factory rifles at a very good prices.

The rifle will have the trigger adjusted, action checked, crown fixed

and all the things you need like threading for mod, bedding or mounts.

Might be a bit all at once but saves one hell of a hassle getting everything right.

If it doesn't shoot it goes back.

Ask on here who offers these services and check prices.

cheers

edi

Martin

the two long actions are mine, the first is a Tactical Intervention custom from the states - it shoots sub .3inch all day every day.

If you have settled on a Rem 700, go for BDL or HS stocked model (if budget allows)

You could buy similar spec Howa for same money, but my own preference would lie with Rem as an out the box shooter.

Ronin i love that camo stock, is that a Macmillan jobby?

I was looking at the Mac site for options to drop the Sako .308 i just aquired into.

Martin, good luck on your quest. These guys have given lots of great advice for you to mull over..

The S/A isn't mine but I think its a standard Woodland Cammo pattern that Mac offer.

I can ask the owner if you want specifics.

Thanks mate but no worries.. I'll see what it shoots like with the factory stock and take it from there. Just wish Beds police would pull thier fingers out and send me back my ticket so i can go and collect the rifle.. :unsure:

Archived